More HD to move from 61.5 to 72.7?

I seem to remember reading somewhere on this board that DISH said that there would be some duplication of hd on both 61.5 and 72.7 at the same time, to end by the end of the year , when all national hd is finally moved off of 61.5. This was to give everyone time to move to either eastern or western arc setups .

I seem to remember reading somewhere on this board that DISH said that there would be some duplication of hd on both 61.5 and 72.7 at the same time, to end by the end of the year , when all national hd is finally moved off of 61.5. This was to give everyone time to move to either eastern or western arc setups .

Yep, This what scott posted somewhere. I am just wondering when they are going to do that?

Mike123, Not true.... ;0 MPEG4 vs MPEG2 my friend ;0 72.7 will be able to hold more naturally. It doesnt have to mirror 129 exactly as it will be able to handle more than 129 due to MPEG4. Scott, when is the duplication going to begin. I am very eager to see this happen! ;0

Yep, This what scott posted somewhere. I am just wondering when they are going to do that?

I don't know when it will start , but I do know when it will end; years end. I also don't think you will see the 9 new hd channels duplicated on 61.5 ever. But the existing hd channels on 61.5 will most likely be the ones you see turned on at 72.7 soon enough.

There are at least 10 HD TMP channels on 72.7 at this time just waiting for something other than an HD slate to replace it. Whether these slots are for new HD channels or channels to be moved from 61.5 is anyone's guess.

Any idea when they will start moving the HD that on 61.5 onto 72.7 also? When they do this, will they do it all at once or will it take some time to complete.

I hope they get this done soon, because I am get very poor signal to 61.5, but I am getting a pretty decent one to 72.7.

Josh

If the channels are duplicated on two satellites, which one will the receiver pick when you tune to the channel?

Which ever one it decides to from hour to hour... but usually in migrations they'll duplicate the channels then change the old ones to some weird number range.

The folks that still have 110/119/61.5 setups will call in asking where their HD channels went, the CSR will setup the upgrade, then tell you the temporary channel number to watch until the tech arrives.

People with pure WA or EA arc setups will notice nothing.

Mike123, Not true.... ;0 MPEG4 vs MPEG2 my friend ;0 72.7 will be able to hold more naturally. It doesnt have to mirror 129 exactly as it will be able to handle more than 129 due to MPEG4. Scott, when is the duplication going to begin. I am very eager to see this happen! ;0

The HD on 129 is MPEG 4. Dish tends to just duplicate TPs on HD between the two arcs. All Dish HD is MPEG4. The SD is different between the two arcs.

It is easier/cheaper/less equipment for Dish to mix the channels once and uplink the identical bit stream to both arcs for HD.

Which ever one it decides to from hour to hour... but usually in migrations they'll duplicate the channels then change the old ones to some weird number range.

The folks that still have 110/119/61.5 setups will call in asking where their HD channels went, the CSR will setup the upgrade, then tell you the temporary channel number to watch until the tech arrives.

People with pure WA or EA arc setups will notice nothing.

Prior to setting up the upgrade, the CSR will inform you what it will cost you! :)

Help, this is just confusing to me...

Okay, I live in Middleville Michigan. (Approximately 20 miles to the south of Grand Rapids, MI) I currently have a two dish set up with a 110/119 and a 61.5. They are on two separate posts. Additionally, I have a Vip211 receiver upstairs and an old 301 receiver downstairs. I of course don't get HD on the downstairs receiver, but that's not an issue to me currently.

So now there is new HD and I'm a bit confused.

I need an upgrade, it appears that the upgrade will include at the minimum pointing a dish at either 129 or 72 along with a new receiver for downstairs.

Now the cost for the upgrade of the dish would be $100 unless I sign up for dish protection. Then it would be $15, plus a $25 cancellation fee when I cancel it. Is that about right?

For the new receiver, well ugg, cross that bridge when I get there. I may have a note on my customer file for a $99 credit due to an installer taking away a reciever they shouldn't have.

Will my locals (Grand Rapids, MI) only be on 61.5? Or are they replicated on one of the other satellites?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer. And I apologize if I'm asking stupid questions.

Bill J.

Okay, I live in Middleville Michigan. (Approximately 20 miles to the south of Grand Rapids, MI) I currently have a two dish set up with a 110/119 and a 61.5. They are on two separate posts. Additionally, I have a Vip211 receiver upstairs and an old 301 receiver downstairs. I of course don't get HD on the downstairs receiver, but that's not an issue to me currently.

I need an upgrade, it appears that the upgrade will include at the minimum pointing a dish at either 129 or 72 along with a new receiver for downstairs.

Now the cost for the upgrade of the dish would be $100 unless I sign up for dish protection. Then it would be $15, plus a $25 cancellation fee when I cancel it. Is that about right?

For the new receiver, well ugg, cross that bridge when I get there. I may have a note on my customer file for a $99 credit due to an installer taking away a reciever they shouldn't have.

Will my locals (Grand Rapids, MI) only be on 61.5? Or are they replicated on one of the other satellites?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer. And I apologize if I'm asking stupid questions.

Bill J.

You would need a dish point to 129. They won't point to 72, since you will be mixing arcs. You eithier will have to get all EA or WA, NO Mixing.

The cost depends on the the CSR wants to charge you basically, but what you said is about right on how it should be.

I don't know about your locals. Your will probably need the WA, if you locals are on 61.5.

Josh

Bill J.

Grand Rapids is also on 129W. Your 61.5 can be repointed to 129W or you coild get a 1000.2 installed for all three positions 110/119/129. The 301 would also work on that arc.

Grand Rapids is also on 129W. Your 61.5 can be repointed to 129W or you coild get a 1000.2 installed for all three positions 110/119/129. The 301 would also work on that arc.

Sorry for the not understanding. (Jeez I'm usually quite the techy but this stuff is confusing to me. When you say the 301 would also work on that arc which are you discussiong the 1000.2 satellite or the pointing of 61.5 to 129W, or both.

For the repointing of 61.5... what kind of LOS do I need to have? (Knowing the techs it would be good if I looked myself first.)

EDIT: I figured out that the elevation for the 61.5 would need to go down to about 24.3 or so... (found the place on the website here to check it out.) So as I'm reading this... perhaps I could do it myself? (Many years ago I pointed a dish successfully, without a beeper tester no less).

Thanks again for the quick replies!

Last edited:
Sorry for the not understanding. (Jeez I'm usually quite the techy but this stuff is confusing to me. When you say the 301 would also work on that arc which are you discussiong the 1000.2 satellite or the pointing of 61.5 to 129W, or both.

For the repointing of 61.5... what kind of LOS do I need to have? (Knowing the techs it would be good if I looked myself first.)

EDIT: I figured out that the elevation for the 61.5 would need to go down to about 24.3 or so... (found the place on the website here to check it out.) So as I'm reading this... perhaps I could do it myself? (Many years ago I pointed a dish successfully, without a beeper tester no less).

Thanks again for the quick replies!

Western Arc would get you 110,119 & 129. 61.5 (1000.2 Dish)
Eastern Arc is 61.5, 72.7 &77 (1000.4 Dish)

Your 301 will work on Western Arc, but NOT Eastern Arc.

Yes, you could try repointing your Dish to 129. It's not that hard.

Tough for the millions that don't follow this board. :(

Tough for the millions that don't follow this board. :(
This board is a double-edge sword in that regard. Most folks won't worry about this at all until Dish contacts them to schedule an appointment to re-arrange their dish configuration.

They'll most likely do a rollout implementation just like with the smartcard replacement.

I also don't think it's going to be millions -- maybe a couple hundred thousand folks affected at most.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)