Status
Please reply by conversation.

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
I'm getting really close to calling for an install. A couple more questions.

#1 I'm hearing that D* will pay your cancellation fee to E* if you switch?

#2 Whole House DVR. I have a wired network. I read on DirecTV's web site that a wired network is not compatible with the Whole House DVR. ... Huh? Simply having them on my network isn't enough? I need to pay for some internet connection kit?. Not a deal breaker but trying to avoid surprises.

Thanks!

Whole home DVR: installer will need to tie into an unused coax cable near your router or an Ethernet cable that is connected to the router.

Whole home DVR: installer will need to tie into an unused coax cable near your router or an Ethernet cable that is connected to the router.

That's it?

I have an ethernet port right next to my current E* receiver. It's plugged into the E* receiver which is online. So why would they say that a wired network isn't compatible with whole house DVR?

Here's the page I'm referring to:
DIRECTV: Equipment : TV Internet Connection : Overview

My ethernet jacks are run to a patch panel. When I patch from any port into my 24-port gigabit switch, that jack becomes an active gigabit network jack.

They're making it sound like I need a piece of voo-doo somewhere to make it work. Am I missing something?

DIRECTV claims you HAVE to use the DIRECTV DECA thing to use the whole house DVR thing for some dumb reason.

If you have your house wired for Ethernet I don't know why they make you get the DECA crap installed. They want to take your money I guess.

You can use the ethernet connection instead of the DECA modules if you would like. The only difference is Directv will not support the ethernet setup.

You can use the ethernet connection instead of the DECA modules if you would like. The only difference is Directv will not support the ethernet setup.

When you call DIRECTV to activate the MRV with your ethernet setup they'll give you the run around about how you HAVE to have DECA, you'll HAVE to HAVE an installer come out, and you'll HAVE to pay hundreds of dollars to get it done.

So it'll work fine, it's just not their officially supported method? That's ok with me as I'm perfectly capable of setting IPs and putting devices on my network (I have an IT background).

If I call with any kind of service issue regarding the whole home DVR they'll tell me I'm on my own because the DECA units aren't there?

That could be an issue. Especially if I'm new to D*. Maybe I'll get the Protection Plan for the first year or so just in case I need to shake out any gremlins. Would that be a sufficient safety net?

You can have unsupported MRV via your network. I did it for quite a while. It works well, unless you have a bunch of other traffic on your network.

I chose to go with DECA and I have never looked back. Worth every penny IMHO. It's fast and gave me the ability to network two additional receivers where I didn't already have a network connection.

Go with DECA, you'll be happy.

My house is wired with Ethernet, the DECA unit has an Ethernet cable plugged in. The DECA then sends this signal over the coax to the Dual HR24's. Installer was rather impressed by this, made his job much simpler.

I'm getting really close to calling for an install. A couple more questions.

"#1 I'm hearing that D* will pay your cancellation fee to E* if you switch"?

I am also very close to switching to D* From E* due to constant RCVR issues that E* as of late can not seem to address which pretty much has my wife pretty PO'ed. As for Question 1. when I ask the rep from Directv if they were paying off Contracts for E* Subs who make the switch she was not aware of it, but she did indicate that it could be possible. She did indicate that there was a slight uptick in people coming over from E* to D* the pass few days with the loss of some of the channels, but for the most part she said it was business as always. Since I am still under contract with E* I am suppose to have a tech come to my house tomorrow to see if he can figure out why we keep losing video on the satellite delivered HD channels yet have audio and guide info... If they can't resolve the issue then I have a sched for a friday install of D*... CC

DIRECTV claims you HAVE to use the DIRECTV DECA thing to use the whole house DVR thing for some dumb reason.
The dumb reason is that their field techs only carry the tools necessary to run, terminate, and troubleshoot a coax cabling installation. Also, DirecTV doesn't want to sign up for helping less clueful subscribers with troubleshooting their home network. It makes a lot of sense if you look at the big picture of what the company does.

Once MRV is enabled for your account you can go with either option. I ordered my install without the Internet connection kit and got HR24s. I let the tech setup everything and let the receivers connect to each other over DECA, then after he left I plugged them into my switched Ethernet network and rebooted the receivers so I could use both MRV and OnDemand content via my home network.

If you ever run into problems, you can just revert to the DECA connection to get it back to a supported configuration.

Just got my dual HR24's installed today and things went as smooth as silk. When he was all done, the installer warned my sons, not to install or attach an ethernet cable to any of the receivers. The DECA works great.

Yes, D* will reimburse you for your cancellations fees from Dish.

So far, so good. It is much better than the dual tuner setup we had with Dish, because the remote to TV2 would take forever to function. I know we now pay for two receivers, it is worth the money.

Brad

Question related to this thread. I cancelled E* earlier this month and had D* installed, I did not know they would pay cancellation fees. Do you think they will still pay my cancellation fees if I called them now? I am going to call regardless, just wanted to know if anyone else in this situation had them pay the cancellation fees after the install.

Do you think they will still pay my cancellation fees if I called them now?
Nope. The offer is an incentive to get people to sign the contract. In your case, you've already signed the contract (and are subject to the $480 DirecTV ETF) so they don't need to "win" your business.

So it'll work fine, it's just not their officially supported method? That's ok with me as I'm perfectly capable of setting IPs and putting devices on my network (I have an IT background).

If I call with any kind of service issue regarding the whole home DVR they'll tell me I'm on my own because the DECA units aren't there?

That could be an issue. Especially if I'm new to D*. Maybe I'll get the Protection Plan for the first year or so just in case I need to shake out any gremlins. Would that be a sufficient safety net?

I have used both, but since it's only $25 to get the DECA unit I would suggest getting one. It frees up more ethernet jacks where the receivers are. If you buy it and decide to use wired instead, just sit it aside in case you have issues then hook it back up to be supported.

Nope. The offer is an incentive to get people to sign the contract. In your case, you've already signed the contract (and are subject to the $480 DirecTV ETF) so they don't need to "win" your business.

Thanks, but this info is wrong. I just called them and they said sure, no problem, just fax the final bill from Dish Network showing the cancellation fee to 1-877-580-2148 and they would reimburse me. :up DirecTV!

Interesting. Well, hopefully that works out for you.

I mentioned the ETF reimbursement option to two co-workers who recently switched after reading about GoalieBob's experience with getting that offer, and both of them were flatly denied even though it was within 30 days of both of them signing up.

Thanks, but this info is wrong. I just called them and they said sure, no problem, just fax the final bill from Dish Network showing the cancellation fee to 1-877-580-2148 and they would reimburse me. :up DirecTV!

Wow... that's awesome. If it works, you just saved me another $100 :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts