Motor working at -40C to -45C

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sg2100

Has not been quite that cold last winter in my location -25 to -30. The SG2100 worked great in those temps. I never noticed any problems in speed or operation, worked the same as if it was +30.

Well, -40 is pretty cold but I would bet that most motors could handle it baring any major blowing of snow into the components that might melt and refreeze. I know my sg2100 did just fine last year, but it didn't get quite that cold temp wise. Wind chill wise there were only maybe a couple days like that. Where are you at that -40 is a common temp?

Dang isn't -40 the same on both scales? I think that is the one temp that is the same for F and C.

Ive never used any of my sat equipmet at that tempetures but I will say from experience that at -45c plastic doesnt fare well and can crack easily. I might wana go for a stab as the sg2100 has a plastic final gear.

Manitoba winters haven't fazed my SG2100. Its been though three of them turning a 33 to 39" dish and handled some pretty good winds. Some plastics might be good in cold from the perspective that they are self lubricating and don't need grease. Grease can become like wax / glue at cold temps. Never taken one apart, so I have no idea if they have greased bushings, dry bushing or roller bearings. It still moves accurately as well. Not developing play in the arm.

Last edited:
I've had a SG2100 here in Minnesnowta for 4 winters. We have -30 once in a while. Motor works just fine :)

As long as the receiver is powered and sending voltage to the LNBF, the motor electronics is probably generating a little bit of heat anyway.

thanks guys
from northern manitoba here and last year it got -43 below for 3 days .
also whats the biggest size of dish it can handle? SG2100

Dang isn't -40 the same on both scales? I think that is the one temp that is the same for F and C.

correct :)

and for our math lesson...to convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit multiply the C temp times 1.8 and add 32

so -10 C is approx 14F

and -40 is -40 :)

does anyone no a good place to buy the best made 120cm dish in canada?
would buy from the states,but the shipping would kill me.

Shipping the 120cm dishes is VERY expensive. Sadoun actually ships their 6 footer (180cm) cheaper, since it can be broken down into smaller pieces.

You might try to find a used dish in your area. Check demolition sites, old gas stations and other merchants who use credit card transactions (they use VSAT dishes, which work very well for FTA).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts