Motorize an 1.5M offset dish with actuator, is possible?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

enb141

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Central America
Hi guys I've read that in order to motorize a bigger than 1.2M dish we need an actuator, ok that's correct but most of the info I've read they use prime focus dishes, so I have plans to get an 1.5M offset dish so using an actuator + a polar mount will do the skew as well, since I will be using linear universal signals I would like to know that.

If you have a light weight dish, and one that isn't subject to horrific wind stresses, you might take a look a the DG380 motor.
1.5 meter dishes are uncommon in the USA and Canada, but perhaps you have them readily available, there.

Yes, you can run an offset dish on a polar mount.
You just need to tip the dish downward about 22° to compensate for its offset.
(The mount is assembled and aimed normally, but a wedge is placed between the mount and the dish to effect the down-tilt of the dish)
See your dish documentation for the exact angle (22° to 26° is common).
edit: scoll down on this page to: 3. Polar mounts, for a picture showing what you want to do.

There are also some 36v motors which act as a mount that will do the job all in one mechanism.
Jaeger brand, I believe?
Those are not too common in the USA and Canada, but web searching does show them in the UK and elsewhere in Europe.

For either the Jaeger or the actuator, you'll need a motor controller.
Don't be tempted to use any of the Vboxes you may see. the Gbox has superior resolution.
See discussion in our Review Department for more info.

The DG380 takes diseqc commands directly.

Last edited:
Yeah those bigger actuators or motors needs a VBOX or GBox for its 36V in order to move them so if I'm not able to get one of those DG380 motor or the Jaeger will the actuator can do the SKEW remember that most actuators are made for offset dishes so doesn't needs the compensation angle (22° to 26) so the SKEW is not needed but with an offset dish the motor will do the skew, so I'm also wondering if an actuator rotates (SKEW) the dish as well?

All the suggestions above, will cause your dish to track the arc of satellites in the sky, AND automatically adjust the skew as it does so. - :up

And if I wasn't clear, the big Jaeger motors use 36 volts, and need the Vbox, just like the actuator.

Polar mount for a 1.5M offset dish + actuator

Hi guys after heard that polar mount offset dish can be moved with an actuator now I would like to know where to get them and which size or specification will be the most optimum (polar mount + actuator) for this size of dishes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.