Motorola DSR 922 4dtv Timer does not work

Status
Please reply by conversation.

creinhardt

Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
I work for a small public access station that uses a 4DTV to pull down Free-To-Air content for rebroadcast on our channels. Soon I am going to be recording things off the 4dtv overnight, and as such need it to automatically switch satellites. The problem is that no matter what I set in the timer, it never changes. Is there a trick to getting the timer to function? The timer light on the front never comes on, which has me suspicious. Is this a common problem, or am I just being stupid and forgetting something?

Last update from Motorola did that, bit of a pain but if I remember correctly (I don't use the timers anymore) you must set a timer on another satellite for it to do the channel change, so it would be like this.

G1-150 8pm you want 167 at 11pm so...
Program G1-150 for 8pm, then G0-101 for 10pm and G1-167 for 11pm, this should work fine.

Last update from Motorola did that, bit of a pain but if I remember correctly (I don't use the timers anymore) you must set a timer on another satellite for it to do the channel change, so it would be like this.

G1-150 8pm you want 167 at 11pm so...
Program G1-150 for 8pm, then G0-101 for 10pm and G1-167 for 11pm, this should work fine.

The problem is, it doesnt even seem to be switching satellites automatically, let alone channels. The timer light on the front of the unit never even comes on. Its like the feature isn't activated or something. I don't have a provider, as i'm only pulling down FTA content, could that be part of the issue?

Hmm not sure never heard of this before, if you hit options 6-0-5 then left arrow twice at the top line in the middle there is a 4 digit number, what is it?

Also hit options 6-5 and see what you current version is, if you have EC you will be ok, if you have EA you may have to send it in.

Here's a few thoughts for you. Have you put the dish on G1-3 overnight to make sure you have the latest channel maps? When trying to set the timers, have you completely erased the previous entries and started from scratch or are you just re-entering the info? Have you made sure the satellites you're trying to receive have been selected in the "Program Satellites" menu? Have you made sure the satellites you're trying to receive are not locked out in the parental lockout menu? Just some thoughts. Good luck.

Here's a few thoughts for you. Have you put the dish on G1-3 overnight to make sure you have the latest channel maps? When trying to set the timers, have you completely erased the previous entries and started from scratch or are you just re-entering the info? Have you made sure the satellites you're trying to receive have been selected in the "Program Satellites" menu? Have you made sure the satellites you're trying to receive are not locked out in the parental lockout menu? Just some thoughts. Good luck.

I haven't tried leaving it on G1-3, i'll do that tonight. I've erased all the timers and started from scratch multiple times, no luck. None of the satellites are locked out in the parental menu, and all of them are programmed properly. I really don't know what the problem is at this point.

Hmm not sure never heard of this before, if you hit options 6-0-5 then left arrow twice at the top line in the middle there is a 4 digit number, what is it?

Also hit options 6-5 and see what you current version is, if you have EC you will be ok, if you have EA you may have to send it in.

The 4-digit number displayed is 1875, and the version is EC.

Last edited:
I have a 922 and no subscriptions. I set a timer for Classic Arts Showcase on G1-5 and it executed properly. So not having a provider shouldn't be a problem. Have you tried unplugging the 922 and plugging it back in and letting it reboot?

I have a 922 and no subscriptions. I set a timer for Classic Arts Showcase on G1-5 and it executed properly. So not having a provider shouldn't be a problem. Have you tried unplugging the 922 and plugging it back in and letting it reboot?

No, I suppose i'll try that next. Its been sitting in a rack, on for weeks!

The 4-digit number displayed is 4835, and the version is EC.

Did you get into the system diagnostics for this 4835 number? the number in the middle of the first line should be under 1920, it can't be over this unless the unit is completely bugged out.

This is a hidden menu, try it again, options 6-0-5 you should be in the systems diagnostics, once there hit the left arrow twice, this should bring you to diagnostics screen G, top line should look something like this:
4541 68 0 1920 64 65 0 11 here the unit is in need of a master reset as the memory is maxed out at 1920.

Did you get into the system diagnostics for this 4835 number? the number in the middle of the first line should be under 1920, it can't be over this unless the unit is completely bugged out.

This is a hidden menu, try it again, options 6-0-5 you should be in the systems diagnostics, once there hit the left arrow twice, this should bring you to diagnostics screen G, top line should look something like this:
4541 68 0 1920 64 65 0 11 here the unit is in need of a master reset as the memory is maxed out at 1920.

Apologies, that was the first number. The middle number is 1875. I've also tried unplugging it, letting it sit for a bit, and plugging it back in. Still no luck.

Your memory is not maxed out yet but it's getting there, I am not sure what the problem is with the timers but you may want to do a master reset soon, since 1920 is getting close, you have ku-band right? do you have A1 or any A satellites programmed? do you go to X4 often? how old is the 922?

If the 922 is not to old and you go to X4 a lot then you may want to go to G4 before X4, you may be getting data from Star choice on the way over to X4.

You never want to program A1 or any Ku-band satellite on Star choice, this will max out the memory.

A master reset should also fix the timer problem, mite be a glitch, do you guys have bad power over there? or brownouts? If so a line conditioner or ups with one built in may be a good investment.

Your memory is not maxed out yet but it's getting there, I am not sure what the problem is with the timers but you may want to do a master reset soon, since 1920 is getting close, you have ku-band right? do you have A1 or any A satellites programmed? do you go to X4 often? how old is the 922?

If the 922 is not to old and you go to X4 a lot then you may want to go to G4 before X4, you may be getting data from Star choice on the way over to X4.

You never want to program A1 or any Ku-band satellite on Star choice, this will max out the memory.

A master reset should also fix the timer problem, mite be a glitch, do you guys have bad power over there? or brownouts? If so a line conditioner or ups with one built in may be a good investment.

This 922 was installed about a month ago. What exactly is a master reset? Yes, I have Ku band, but the only satellites I ever go to are G1 or G4. What is Star Choice? I have line conditioners and a big UPS in the rack, everything else is running fine.

Your tdt count should be in the low 17 hundreds, 1875 is high, especially for a month old system, a master reset will clear the 4dtv to factory default, you will need to reset the whole unit from scratch, limits and all satellites.

Was this a used receiver or a new one? if you are knowledgeable with the 4dtv and how to set it up I would try a reset, this should resolve any problems with the timers or any bugs that may be in the system.

Star choice is a Canadian small dish satellite provider that uses DCII encryption, if you pass by there satellites while the 4dtv is on a ku-band freq, it may download some Canadian maps everytime you do this, or you may have went there once with a ku freq, this could be why your tdt count is so high, the 4dtv can't hold both the American maps along with the Canadian maps, this will over load the units memory and cause issues.

Keep in mind your 922 is still not maxed out but since it may get there soon I would recommend a reset, I do one every year or so on my own system for the hell of it, it's not hard, this should also fix whatever issue you are having with the timers, if the unit is new and the timers never worked this could mean there must be a glich in the system so again a reset would probably be a good idea.

If the actuator has it's limits set outside then you have nothing to worry about, if you or the tech did not set the limits outside you will need to make a mental note on to where the dish should stop not to flop it over or damage anything, since after a reset the 922 limits will be history and must be set before anything else, bringing the dish into the arm is not a big deal, well unless you have something in the way that the dish can hit but it's mostly when the arm is extending where you need to be careful.

If this does not resolve the problem then maybe the unit is bad, the 922 should keep digital authorization, so you should not have to call your provider after the reset, if the unit does have a glich the reset may clear the digital authorization, so you will need to get in touch with a provider to hit the unit for the guide and authorization, if they do not do it free anymore (I think they still do) then just get a small cheap sub to something.

Last edited:
Your tdt count should be in the low 17 hundreds, 1875 is high, especially for a month old system, a master reset will clear the 4dtv to factory default, you will need to reset the whole unit from scratch, limits and all satellites.

Was this a used receiver or a new one? if you are knowledgeable with the 4dtv and how to set it up I would try a reset, this should resolve any problems with the timers or any bugs that may be in the system.

Star choice is a Canadian small dish satellite provider that uses DCII encryption, if you pass by there satellites while the 4dtv is on a ku-band freq, it may download some Canadian maps everytime you do this, or you may have went there once with a ku freq, this could be why your tdt count is so high, the 4dtv can't hold both the American maps along with the Canadian maps, this will over load the units memory and cause issues.

Keep in mind your 922 is still not maxed out but since it may get there soon I would recommend a reset, I do one every year or so on my own system for the hell of it, it's not hard, this should also fix whatever issue you are having with the timers, if the unit is new and the timers never worked this could mean there must be a glich in the system so again a reset would probably be a good idea.

If the actuator has it's limits set outside then you have nothing to worry about, if you or the tech did not set the limits outside you will need to make a mental note on to where the dish should stop not to flop it over or damage anything, since after a reset the 922 limits will be history and must be set before anything else, bringing the dish into the arm is not a big deal, well unless you have something in the way that the dish can hit but it's mostly when the arm is extending where you need to be careful.

If this does not resolve the problem then maybe the unit is bad, the 922 should keep digital authorization, so you should not have to call your provider after the reset, if the unit does have a glich the reset may clear the digital authorization, so you will need to get in touch with a provider to hit the unit for the guide and authorization, if they do not do it free anymore (I think they still do) then just get a small cheap sub to something.

I think I said this earlier, but I dont have a provider, i'm only puling down Free-To-Air programming. I'm not really comfortable doing a Reset by myself, I suppose I'll have to have the guys who installed it come out. Is the 4DTV really this prone to problems like this?

I never had any issues had mine since it first came out, just stay away from Star choice, so you never called to get the free guide? how do you select a program for the timer with no guide?

I never had any issues had mine since it first came out, just stay away from Star choice, so you never called to get the free guide? how do you select a program for the timer with no guide?

I just go to Options, 4 and set it to switch to G4-13 at 12:55PM untill 2:00 PM. The Output from the DSR922 is router through a 16x16 video switcher which is encoded into MPEG-2 by our broadcast server. The only peice of the puzzle that isnt working is the DSR922's timer. It is necessary to tune to that satellite so that the Pansat 2700A I have slaved off of it can pull down a program. I dont even have a guide to use as I have no provider.

Does anyone think Motorola will be of any help in this matter? Or will they just tell me to do a Master Reset (which I really cant do at this point).

I emailed ATS and they said they've never had a DSR922 where the timers didn't function. This really has me thrown for a loop :(

I went through the timer procedure you stated and when I got to the "Confirm Timer" item, there was a message that said "This is a Videocipher Channel. Purchase and rating ceiling must be approved before this program starts." For whatever reason, my 922 has this channel mapped as videocipher. You previously stated you don't have a provider so this may be stopping your timer from going to that channel. It sounds like you're using the 922 as a dishmover and the 2700a as the receiver. Have you tried using another channel, like channel 1 which is empty, in the timer settings and see what happens? If you're just trying to move the dish to G4 at a certain time and you stay away from mapped videocipher channels, this might work since the 2700a is doing the receiver duties. Good luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)