Mounting 2nd lnb for 103.0W ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
And that was such a GOOD Photo, that I printed it out for reference.... Not to worry, I have made correction notes on it for when I try again next year....
Thanks, SatelliteAV

Lately, I've been watching 103W more frequently. I'm going to set up a fixed dish soon... Until then, I've been "ghetto skewing" my LNBF ;) ...

I didn't care too much about NBC, but now they have COZI so I got an SL2 from SatelliteAV and put up a dedicated dish. WE had the grandparents over for dinner and watched COZI most of the day:)

Yesterday I went out and re-aimed a .75M dish that had been pointing at 83W after I read about CozyTV. Chanel Master dish has been pointed there so long that I don't know why I hadn't thought of doing it sooner. Anyway, I went to dishpointer.com and saw they recommended a -15.4 degree counter clockwise turn as seen standing BEHIND the dish I think I took MAYBE ten minutes to get it pointed in the correct direction, then I used the two way radio between the house and myself, checking on signal strength. The biggest problem I had was that the LNB was too deep all along, but that too is now corrected.

The final result was super, there are several programs on NBC that I like, and now add CozyTV to that while I wait to see if our repeater channel from Phoenix offers CozyTV as a sub channel.

I'm NOT going to hold my breath waiting for THAT to happen.

Photto

PS: Merry Christmas Every one, from Our House to Your's.

Phottoman,
Did you set the skew according to the dishpointer value of minus 15 degree without adding 26 degrees? I found out that Dishpointer does NOT provide special info for this Sat's "wacky" (quoting from Iceberg) skew. What is the present skew of your dish' LNB? Cheers, polgyver

Phottoman,
Did you set the skew according to the dishpointer value of minus 15 degree without adding 26 degrees? I found out that Dishpointer does NOT provide special info for this Sat's "wacky" (quoting from Iceberg) skew. What is the present skew of your dish' LNB? Cheers, polgyver
Well, let's see, -15 plus 26, that'd look pretty out of place.

If you would go to dishpointer and enter your address, or at least your town, then scroll down to the satellite you are looking for, then look under the list of satellites, you'll see nearly everything you need to point that dish the first time.

Photto

Photo, skew that thing to -36.4 and you will be a lot closer. ;)

Ok, yes just for furture reference(unless they fix the skew when and if they switch birds), for 103 Ku, skew it like you would for 83W.

Suppose a Ku LNBF does not have any skew degrees marking, how close or true would the skew marking transposed from another LNBF work with the unmarked LNBF. I am thinking of copying and transporting the skew markings from the Invacom SNH-031 to the other two unmarked KU LNBF.

Has anyone done this with good results.

Never tried it, but if the diameter of the housing is the same, it should work fine. If it is a little different you should still be close enough, since you still want to tweak it by looking at a signal meter, either stand alone or receiver and tv out at the dish.

Well, let's see, -15 plus 26, that'd look pretty out of place.

If you would go to dishpointer and enter your address, or at least your town, then scroll down to the satellite you are looking for, then look under the list of satellites, you'll see nearly everything you need to point that dish the first time.

Photto
This I already did, and I found out that for my location, which is close to meridian 79, satellite 97 W should have skew 17.7 , satellite 101 skew 21.2, satellite 103 skew 22.9, satellite 82 skew 3.0. Therefore I concluded that Dishpointer did not take care of special "twist" of sat 103 (otherwise it should suggest skew close of that of sat 82, namely around 3 degrees). As other members suggest, extra twist of LNB is surely needed.

Never tried it, but if the diameter of the housing is the same, it should work fine. If it is a little different you should still be close enough, since you still want to tweak it by looking at a signal meter, either stand alone or receiver and tv out at the dish.

That is what I though, I already transfered the skew readings from the Invacom SNH-031 to the other two LNBF, as soon as I get my getto bracket bulit, will give it a try.

I still do have a few skew clarification question, according to dishpointer for my location I need to skew the LNBF to 21.4 degrees clockwise (looking from the back) of the dish... Is the second LNBF going to be 21.4 degrees clockwise from zero (dishpointer said that this reading are for a stationary dish), does this skew reffers to having the extra LNBF to the left or right of the original LNBF?.... Also about how close are the two LNBF going to be to each other when the extra LNBF is mounted?.

Thank You.

That is what I though, I already transfered the skew readings from the Invacom SNH-031 to the other two LNBF, as soon as I get my getto bracket bulit, will give it a try.

I still do have a few skew clarification question, according to dishpointer for my location I need to skew the LNBF to 21.4 degrees clockwise (looking from the back) of the dish... Is the second LNBF going to be 21.4 degrees clockwise from zero (dishpointer said that this reading are for a stationary dish) In a word "no". You need to look to see what Dishpointer says for 83W and use that. Dishpointer does NOT factor in the odd skew on the Ku side of the bird

does this skew reffers to having the extra LNBF to the left or right of the original LNBF?
Does not matter which side

.... Also about how close are the two LNBF going to be to each other when the extra LNBF is mounted?.
You may be able to go as close as 4 degrees apart, I have mine 6 degees apart....If my Dish and primary LNBF is looking at 97W the secondary one is looking at 103W

Thank You.

I answered everything in bold above.

Thanks ke4est.

Just waiting for the finishing touch to my new ghetto bracket. Will check what dishpointer have to show for the skew of 83W, but why am I looking at 83W, does it matters that my dish is moveable not stationary?.

Also, to me somehow your answer "no" to the position of the secondary LNBF whether to the left or to the right of the main LNBF have me confuse as to the quality signal that the offset LNBF would be able to receive.

I am learning, therefore always asking questions.

Last edited:
Yesterday I went out and re-aimed a .75M dish that had been pointing at 83W after I read about CozyTV. Chanel Master dish has been pointed there so long that I don't know why I hadn't thought of doing it sooner. Anyway, I went to dishpointer.com and saw they recommended a -15.4 degree counter clockwise turn as seen standing BEHIND the dish I think I took MAYBE ten minutes to get it pointed in the correct direction, then I used the two way radio between the house and myself, checking on signal strength. The biggest problem I had was that the LNB was too deep all along, but that too is now corrected.

The final result was super, there are several programs on NBC that I like, and now add CozyTV to that while I wait to see if our repeater channel from Phoenix offers CozyTV as a sub channel.

I'm NOT going to hold my breath waiting for THAT to happen.

Photto

PS: Merry Christmas Every one, from Our House to Your's.

I had this same setup, a primestar 75e pointed at 83w for retro television, and yesterday wanted to try move it to get 103. I was amazed how quickly I picked up 103, of course I pointed my motorized dish which is right next to my primestar and used it as a guide. But trying to get cozyTV I had no luck. The nbc channels I have a good 75 percent signal. I spun the primestar lnb all around and could not get more than 10 percent. Do I need to put up the 84e for any hope of getting cozyTV? Or is there another trick to it? I am using the original primestar lnb, and I am connecting directly to the h or v on the lnb (depending on if I am going for horizontal or vertical signals).

@ a-hockeynut

I didn't get Phottoette involved until I had found 103 and got it as good as I could, running back and forth from the dish to the TV in the living room. If you are out there all by yourself, I would suggest taking the TV and receiver out with you. For me (and this is ONLY for me) we have some good communication between us so the radio link between she and I was perfect.

First I adjusted the dish where I wanted it, and twisted the LNB til I 'thought' I was where it should be.

Go in the house, and scan 103 (THIS was the hard part, I was scanning with a non-s2 receiver) then back out to the dish to make ONE small adjustment and go back and re-scan the bird.

THEN and ONLY THEN did I get her involved, and I would make minor adjustments and have her read the Q scale to me. THAT part took about 10 minutes but was worth the work. And this was when I discovered that the LNB was too far out towards the dish. THAT alone improved the Q by 10 pionts.

Hope this helps.

Photto

I find that skew need not be exact, i.e., there is room for error in each direction without sacrificing much quality. I usually just eyeball it, then maybe a fine tune to get those extra one or two quality percentages.

@ phottoman

I am using a microHD, and slinging to my phone. Now that I know about what skew, I will have to try again when I have some time. Could be awhile, too much going on right now. Thanks!

I find that skew need not be exact, i.e., there is room for error in each direction without sacrificing much quality. I usually just eyeball it, then maybe a fine tune to get those extra one or two quality percentages.

I experimented with the skew (or the polarity rotation of the LNBF) and found that, at least with Ku band, your polarity can be off quite a bit before you notice the degradation. I always just set it in a ballpark location and then skewed or rotated the LNBF CW then CCW and monitored when then signal quality started to drop off. Then I rotated the LNBF to the very center of that range that I found.
That is probably the best way to go about it as you cannot really tell precisely what degree angle you set it to.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)