"move"

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You can get them, but not in HD. Look in New Haven County.

CT HD locals
NY SD locals
NESN
NY RSN's

I have been a dish customer for the past 5 yrs. and have had enough. I want to switch to Direct but locals are not available here. I "moved" with dish so I could get locals in HD plus fall into the Braves dma so I moved to Tennessee. My question is I would like to have Direct but wanted to know which spot beam I would have to "move" to in order to pick up the Braves games and get locals in HD. I live in Charlottesville VA.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

Just pick any address that doesn't get local channels and you should qualify for dns. Check here DIRECTV: Local Channels to make sure the place you pick doesn't get locals from Directv. Put the zip code in and it will tell you.

How will I know which networks I will get?
I have heard that you may not get Fox for example.
I would really like to get all 4 networks in HD.
Thanks for you help.

Sorry for asking dumb questions but don't I have to be in their spotbeam to get NY big 4?
I am looking to get the big 4 in HD and I am just beyond the Minneapolis spotbeam so the locals available to me are only in SD.
If I was to distants where would be from?
Again......sorry for the questions but just trying to educate myself
Thanks

The big 4 are on CONUS beams so they are available across the country. The rest of the NYC locals are on spot beams.

Thanks Chip...

So I should go distant then right?

Just pick a zip in the central or west TZ that has no **v locals available and I should get Big 4 NY in high def?

I am looking to get the big 4 in HD and I am just beyond the Minneapolis spotbeam so the locals available to me are only in SD.

I would hazard a guess you must really be in Far Northern MN because the HD beam does reach Int'l Falls/Roseau/Warroad area just fine ;)

Thanks Chip...

So I should go distant then right?

Just pick a zip in the central or west TZ that has no **v locals available and I should get Big 4 NY in high def?

Like Jason said, just pick a NYC address that you know won't be disputed, like a vacant lot! That will get you the NY big four locals in hd.
Maybe you know someone in NYC that will let you "borrow" their address.

When was a mover I looked at the real estate listings in where I wanted to move and added 2 digits to the address, it worked fine. The problem with moving is that if you need to get service or send your receiver back to Direct for problems they send the recovery kit to your service address. They gave me crap when that happened so I moved back home, said the hell with it and saved the out of state sales tax.

I would like to keep my own Time Zone. I checked and found **tv does not have local channels for Rapid City SD 57701.

If I used an address there do you know if I would get the Big 4 in HD?

And yes Iceberg.......I am a little north and west of you....lol

Rapid City is in the Mountain time zone (just so you know)

if thats no issue, Buffalo, SD looks lovely this time of year ;)

The Central time zone option in SD is Sioux Falls which is already available in HD

Last edited:
OK thanks for all the great info but I am still mixed up.

First off..I would like to get the big 4 in HD central time zone.

Second...I am not within the footprint of any spotbeams.

I currently can get the Fargo ND locals in Standard def.

My questions are:

What is the difference between "moving" and Distant locals?

Which option is right for me?

Will I get all of the big 4 in HD with either option?

Sorry for asking such nube questions and thanks again for all your help

Last edited:
Getting pretty tired of being in the Duluth MN market, with SD and no HD. They "claim" I can get them over the air, to which I invite them to come help me adjust the rooftop antenna :) Anyhow, with waivers declined, moving is seeming like a possibility. Just a quick question, if I "move" and I have the receiver hooked up to the internet for On Demand, can they use the IP address to figure that out?? Would I be better staying "offline"?

you can keep the receiver hooked to the internet. I was a "mover" to Duluth (use to live there so I liked having them...even in SD) ;) here in Minneapolis and kept the internet connected. Actually I've been a mover twice and kept the internet up the whole time for VOD :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts