Movie Star Ratings

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jgantert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Aberdeen, MD
Just curious as to how they decide the star rating for the movies.

Last night I was watching "Humanoids From The Deep" (1980, Monsters TV) and it was rated 3 stars. It was your typical cheesy B-Movie with bad acting. No way any newspaper reviewer would give it 3 stars.

So, how did it end up with 3 stars???

-John

Star Ratings is overrated. Not a good system at all since it is biased. I have seen good movies rated with one star and bad movies rated with three stars. It all depends who is doing the rating.

1080iWannabe said:
I suggest they go with the Rotten Tomatoes rating system! :yes But perhaps their ratings don't go back far enough.

I like Rotten Tomatoes also, but these things are too personal. For instance, Rotten Tomatoes rates Steel Magnolias higher than Fight Club, Commando, and Total Recall. In the name of all that is good and holy, 3 of those movies are on my top 50 list, and one of them is terrible.

cyuhnke said:
I like Rotten Tomatoes also, but these things are too personal. For instance, Rotten Tomatoes rates Steel Magnolias higher than Fight Club, Commando, and Total Recall. In the name of all that is good and holy, 3 of those movies are on my top 50 list, and one of them is terrible.

Sure there are bound to be personal differences. But I think RT uses about 100 reviewers.(?) An average like that might be more accurate overall than one guy sitting there and sticking stars on whatever he likes. :smug

Edited: Oops I missed the other post. So maybe the stars are okay if they come from a pretty reputable reviewer. But an avg like RT still seems like it would be better overall IMHO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)