MPEG 4 Conversion, who gets the upgrade?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Wiggin78

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
Redding, CA
Ok, I just switched back to D* on Friday after having Voom for 3 Months and E* for 3 months. I am very happy to be back especially because I have waivers that get me NBC, CBS, and FOX in HD from LA. With Spaceway 1 launching tomorrow and the upgrade to MPEG 4 on the horizon, I have a pertinent question. Since only the top 12 markets are being upgraded to MPEG 4 where does it leave those of us with HD waivers? Los Angelas and New York are at th top of the list so what happens to us? Are we going to be included in the earlier upgrade or are we going to keep the MPEG 2 HD feed?

I just called Directv on an upgrade issue that has to do with having an internal DTVHD receiver in my TV...wanted to know if there was anyway that I could get a deal for a new HD receiver once the MPEG 4 gets rolling. The person on the phone said that they will have an announcement but nothing that is being mentioned now. So I think we are going to have to sit and wait. He did say that we will need new dishes and new HD receivers ...but we knew that already.

The satellite Spaceway 1 being launched in just a few hours is a KA-Band (sorry gang...had to edit)...useless for us D* customers. We will have to have our LNB's & Dishes replaced when its our "turn" for the upgrade & D* will have to replace our STB's since it will be MPEG4.........hang in there......we've all got questions but we have to wait & see..........wait & see.....wait & see.........

Barney

Once again DirecTV failed to mention any KU or combo KA/KU. Their news release says KA. Is that what you meant barney?

April 26, 2005--DIRECTV advanced toward its goal of offering local digital and high-definition channels to every household in America with the successful launch this morning of Spaceway F1, a DIRECTV satellite capable of delivering hundreds of HD signals to DIRECTV customers, and the first of four next-generation satellites that will dramatically expand DIRECTV's programming capacity in the next two years.

Spaceway F1 is the first of two Ka-band satellites that will launch this year, enabling DIRECTV to broadcast local HD channels into several of the nation's largest markets. Initially, DIRECTV will begin launching digital and HD local channels in 12 markets this fall allowing customers -- with the necessary HD reception equipment -- in those markets to receive popular broadcast network programming in HD.

charper1 said:
Once again DirecTV failed to mention any KU or combo KA/KU. Their news release says KA. Is that what you meant barney?

April 26, 2005--DIRECTV advanced toward its goal of offering local digital and high-definition channels to every household in America with the successful launch this morning of Spaceway F1, a DIRECTV satellite capable of delivering hundreds of HD signals to DIRECTV customers, and the first of four next-generation satellites that will dramatically expand DIRECTV's programming capacity in the next two years.

Spaceway F1 is the first of two Ka-band satellites that will launch this year, enabling DIRECTV to broadcast local HD channels into several of the nation's largest markets. Initially, DIRECTV will begin launching digital and HD local channels in 12 markets this fall allowing customers -- with the necessary HD reception equipment -- in those markets to receive popular broadcast network programming in HD.

Your correct charper1...I edited my post...Ka-band.... ;)

No matter how you cut it guys, the switch out of mpeg 4 recievers is going to be a total nightmare. I expect a response in october by D* and even then it will have to be tested, but I think the HD Tivo owners are screwed for a while longer. NUTS!!!!

well the questions I have are not just the receiver but the antenna and switcher parts as well.

I would guess that an upgrade path with a few parts so I don't have to "throw" away all the pieces would be nice :)

I would assume that D* would leave the NY & LA networks on a national MPEG-2 feed for those people in the sticks who have no OTA network reception. Hopefully the HD versions of the NY & LA networks will remain national MPEG-2 as well.... I guess we'll all have to "wait and see".

I'm in the Houston locals market so I'm also curious how the conversion will affect me.....

I just switched from Voom to DirecTV and have my HD satellite & receiver install tomorrow. I really hope I'm not throwing away this money just to have to purchase a new receiver and dish in a few months. I mean, I'd pay maybe $100 or so, but if they ask us to pay a few hundred dollars, that would be crazy. I can't wait to get more HD though with DirecTV. I was spoiled with Voom, having so many HD channels. Oh well, guess we'll have to wait for DirecTV to catch up to where Voom was.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)