Mr. 3,000 is Tired

A couple things...

1. Yeah, I realize his first obligation is to the Yankees, but I still think him sitting out is kind of lame.

2. Kind of a slap in the face to the fans that voted him and his .260 average into the All-Star game in the first place, don't you think?

3. Didn't Jeter just get off the DL? Didn't he rest enough on the bench? Why is he so "tired"??

4. So much for the All-Star game meaning more (home-field advantage to the winner). By Jeter sitting out, he must not think too much of the stakes.

5. Dear Mr. Jeter: Getting selected to the All-Star game should be an honor and treated as so. If selected, you have an obligation to the fans (who are one of the main reasons you make money playing baseball)!

Seems like a changing of the guard in MLB. No Jeter, A-Rod, Rivera, Pujols, Ryan Howard, Ichiro, Mauer, Teixeira for various reasons.

Is it me or does it seem like more of these guys are treating the MLB all-star game like the NFL pro bowl by blowing it off....

Seems like a changing of the guard in MLB. No Jeter, A-Rod, Rivera, Pujols, Ryan Howard, Ichiro, Mauer, Teixeira for various reasons.

Is it me or does it seem like more of these guys are treating the MLB all-star game like the NFL pro bowl by blowing it off....

Seems like that to me. Which is too bad. And a slap in the face to fans everywhere.

Other than Howard, what do the other have in common? They are either OLDER or have had some major surgery...or both. Would not be surprised if the team told them/presuaded them to 'rest up'.

On all the lack of stars in this year's all-star game...

SELIG: "THIS TIME IT COUNTS!"
FANS: "WHO IS THAT IN RIGHT FIELD?, WHAT TEAM IS HE FROM?"

What makes matters worse is that Jeter collects a $500K bonus for making the All-Star team. Doesn't have play or even go to get it. Maybe he'll help Christian Lopez with his student loans with some of it... :rolleyes:

What makes matters worse is that Jeter collects a $500K bonus for making the All-Star team. Doesn't have play or even go to get it. Maybe he'll help Christian Lopez with his student loans with some of it... :rolleyes:

Well, let's just hope the fans remember this next year before they blindly elect a .260 hitter to the starting SS position. :rolleyes:

Even Jeets' peers are critical of his decision...

"I don't think it's my place to speak for others," Cardinals outfielder Lance Berkman said, according to the Daily News. "But for me, personally, if you get selected to be here, you have an obligation. You gotta be here. If you can go, you gotta go."

"I do believe, as a ballplayer, if you have no injuries, you should be here," Carlos Beltran said, according to the newspaper. "The fans are the ones that vote for you and want to see you here."

"I recall when I was a kid and seeing some guys who made All-Star teams and didn't go,'' Justin Verlander said. "Not because of injury. They just didn't want to go. It kind of disappointed me. I remembered that and always said I would never do that if I ever made it.''

I think if you don't play in the All-Star game when you are selected by vote or by the manager, unless you are actually on the DL, then you should be suspended for 2 weeks.

How is this NOT a bigger deal to Selig and MLB?! I mean, this ONE single game will decide home field advantage in the World Series (Selig's decision)! The stakes are huge! How are able players allowed to boycott a game of such magnitude without being held accountable?!!!

They set a record for number of All-Star's this year due to all the people dropping out.

How is this NOT a bigger deal to Selig and MLB?! I mean, this ONE single game will decide home field advantage in the World Series (Selig's decision)! The stakes are huge! How are able players allowed to boycott a game of such magnitude without being held accountable?!!!

Here's Bud's take:

Selig spoke out later Tuesday.

"There isn't a player I'm more proud of in the last 15 years than Derek Jeter," Selig said. "He has played the game the way it should be played, and he's been a better human being off the field.

"I know why Derek Jeter is not here. I respect that and I must tell you that I think I would have made the same decision.

"Any suggestion that I or anybody else around here is unhappy with him not being here is just false."

New York Yankees' Derek Jeter skips All-Star festivities, creates stir - ESPN New York

Nobody is very excited about playing in Phoenix. Can't say that I blame them. Still, getting elected by the fans, pocketing $500k, and blowing off the game is bush league.

Poor babies! Heck, I wake-up at 4am and you don't hear me complaining. OK, perhaps I whine like a little girl...but still get my arse to work. Big cry-babies! Cal is probably pointing his finger in shame.

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys App

I think if he's not going to play, thats fine, but he should at least be there to acknowledge the fans that voted him in.

Btw, are the rest of the yankees skipping it too ?
A Rod has an excuse, he just had surgery, what about the rest ?

Not too long ago there were those complaining that Torres took too many Yankees players to the All Star Game. Now we complain that there are too few. Ironic? I am baseball fan and I have no problems if any player decides to sit out. As a matter of fact, I was surprised that Cano decided to participate in the home run derby. If Cano starts slowly the second half because he is now swinging for the fences, he is going to hear it. What is more important a championship ring or an All Star Game? You decide. As to home field advantage? That is so over rated in baseball. The team that gets hot at the right time in the playoffs home field or not will usually win it all.

Sent from my LG-P999 using SatelliteGuys

Not too long ago there were those complaining that Torres took too many Yankees players to the All Star Game. Now we complain that there are too few. Ironic? I am baseball fan and I have no problems if any player decides to sit out. As a matter of fact, I was surprised that Cano decided to participate in the home run derby. If Cano starts slowly the second half because he is now swinging for the fences, he is going to hear it. What is more important a championship ring or an All Star Game? You decide. As to home field advantage? That is so over rated in baseball. The team that gets hot at the right time in the playoffs home field or not will usually win it all.

Sent from my LG-P999 using SatelliteGuys

Only Yankees I think should have been voted in or there for that matter is Cano and Granderson.

I think if you don't play in the All-Star game when you are selected by vote or by the manager, unless you are actually on the DL, then you should be suspended for 2 weeks.

I think the NBA has a rule like that. I know they did something to force players to play the last few games of the season because by skipping them, it sometimes gave another team an unfair opportunity to make the playoffs.