This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Multiple Satellites

tolate

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
South Central Virginia
Hey guys,

Just joined and this is my first post. Hope you can help me because talking to Dish is a nightmare.

I have one dish on the eastern arc with satellites, 72, 77, and 61.5 and I have one dish on the western arc with satellite 110. I thought all HD channels came through 61.5 but have noticed that some of our Starz channels are on 110. Because I don't get HD local channels, I was told by Dish that I need to get satellite 129 (to get HD locals). If I move my dish currently on 110 to 129, will I lose HD channels such as Starz? The main issue is I want HD locals to watch the football games this weekend!

Thanks for all the help.

If your locals are on the 129, Dish has to put in a 1000.2 or the Western arc 1000.4.

But moving your dish at 110 to 129 should not effect your Starz channels. Not even sure why you have that dish at 110 at all.

Locals are coming from Roanoke and Lynchburg, Virginia. The installer put the second dish on the western arc so we could get locals in SD (satellite 110) because we were told they weren't available on the eastern arc. We have a 1000.4 dish installed on the eastern arc for 61.5, 72, 77.

Your HD locals come off 129, so unless there was a NLOS (no line of sight) reason, you should have been installed with western arc. I'm gonna send you a PM, post here if you can't reply.

We have a 1000.4 dish installed on the eastern arc for 61.5, 72, 77. The installer put the second dish on the western arc so we could get locals from Roanoke and Lynchburg Virginia in SD (satellite 110) because we were told they weren't available on the eastern arc. Do you know if they are now available on the eastern arc? We were told they weren't.

Why does Strzw in HD (Channel 351) say satellite 110 when you press the Info button?

Roanoke locals are not available on eastern arc. And the Starz mixup was my fault, a few come off 110 in HD, a few come off 129 in HD (61.5 and 72.7 on eastern arc).

Why does Strzw in HD (Channel 351) say satellite 110 when you press the Info button?
If you removed 110, Starz would still be received on EA. Your receiver, for reasons unknown to me, chose 110 to get Starz from, instead of the EA.

Matt,

Tried to reply to your PM but couldn't - since I'm new it said you can't PM without 5 posts. Anyway, we did have a line of sight problem for 119 and 129, that's why the installer put us on the eastern arc when we upgraded to HD channels about 18 months ago. But, I can cut down one small tree and get 129. I would have to cut down another BIG tree to get 119.

If I point at 129 only, instead of 110, what channels do I give up?

I will give you my phone number/account # when I can PM you. Thanks for your help.

If you removed 110, Starz would still be received on EA. Your receiver, for reasons unknown to me, chose 110 to get Starz from, instead of the EA.

So, you're saying that I can give up 110 and point it to 129 for HD locals and I won't lose any other channels?

If you changed 110 to 129, you would lose SD locals, but gain the HD locals for your area. Channels 13, 7, 10, and 27 you would gain in HD, and lose the rest of your local channels. If you have 110 and 129, you would keep all your locals and gain the HD versions

I don't think we get any other locals other than 13, 7, 10, and 27. So as long as we're paying for HD, we will have our locals?

Do they have to come out here or just take care of it on the phone? I am going to do this myself. Used to install C band satellites so no problem pointing at 129.

On another note if you can receive your locals in HD over the air with an antenna, your Dish boxes will receive them. So, if getting 129 is too hard (i.e. you cut down your tree only to find a neighbor's tree in the way) you have the OTA option. Dish VIP DVRs fully integrate OTA stations into the guide and recording.