Murdoch Strikes Again

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Wow how orginal. Conviently right after Dish has already begun to do this

Dish does not have digital video recorders, they have paperweights with hard disks in them ... everyone knows this.

If it is not a TiVo ... it really doesn't count. However, it does appear that the satellite business is gearing up to be more like the cell phone industry. 2-year commits for free hardware cannot be far away.

slacker9876 said:
Dish does not have digital video recorders, they have paperweights with hard disks in them ... everyone knows this.

If it is not a TiVo ... it really doesn't count. However, it does appear that the satellite business is gearing up to be more like the cell phone industry. 2-year commits for free hardware cannot be far away.

As long as they have a 30 day money back like many cell companies have it might be liveable, but I sure wouldn't want to be stuck with a POS STB for 2 years unless I could give ti a test drive. This might be one thing that cable will still have over DBS companies, no commitment to service.

Do you think those 20 million receivers that DirecTv is going to provide for free is going to have Tivo software? I dont think so. It is going to be their own proprietary software done in-house just as Dish Network does. I wonder if this will result in more bugs and issues as we see with Dish Network DVR's. Are they currently having issues overseas with their DVR service and are the new DVR's that they are going to provide going to use that same DVR service that they use overseas?

slacker9876 said:

Let's be fair here.
1. Tivo will not be implemented with new D* receivers. :p
2. I find Dish 942 to be an excellent receiver. :D

Other than down rezzing his so called HD channels to the point that they are really just ED channels and screwing over the NFL season ticket subscribers.. Has Mr Murdoch done anything else besides blow hot air about future HD plans?

BFG said:
Wow how orginal. Conviently right after Dish has already begun to do this

Yea, but Murdoch wants to put new-releases on your drive the day they are released, bypassing the Wal-Mart imposed 45 day waiting period. The movies Dish has are all past "New-release" status already. I don't think even Murdoch has the will or money to fight and win against Wal-Hell on this one.

Stargazer said:
Do you think those 20 million receivers that DirecTv is going to provide for free is going to have Tivo software? I dont think so. It is going to be their own proprietary software done in-house just as Dish Network does. I wonder if this will result in more bugs and issues as we see with Dish Network DVR's. Are they currently having issues overseas with their DVR service and are the new DVR's that they are going to provide going to use that same DVR service that they use overseas?

No, Ucentric software ... looks like it will look and feel better than TiVo

Minsk1 said:
Let's be fair here.
1. Tivo will not be implemented with new D* receivers. :p
2. I find Dish 942 to be an excellent receiver. :D

1. No it will actually be the first thing to market that is better. The Ucentric software is amazing ... I wish more would give TiVo a run for the money, then would would all have real DVR's ... even the HR10-250 leaves some to be desired
2.I have read here that the 942 is pretty good, but I have also read at TCF (biased) that it is as buggy as all their other hardware. But I am a know dish hater too, so my opinion may not be the best.

Who knows, Since I am not under commitment I may not even be a D* sub for much longer. I e-mailed them and demanded NFL ST & SuperFan for 145 ... the same as they are charging the canucks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts