My 1.2M new Channel Master weighs only 25 lbs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

caddata

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
My new 1.2M Channel Master (salvaged from a dumpster) weighs only 25 lbs. with the AzEl mount removed, so why can't it be rotated by just about any of the bent-shaft HH motors? They are all rated at about 24 lbs., with any conservative engineering at all envolved in their design the 25 lbs. should be no problem. My existing SM3D22, on a .9M Fortec dish, is rated at 27 lbs.

The only problem would be designing some type of light weight adjustable bracket for mounting it to the bent-shaft. I've got some ideas, so I'm going to try it. Sadoun sells the painted steel brackets for the Fortec dishes, but I think I can fabricate one from aluminum that will be lighter. If not, I'll just buy one from them and adapt it.

I'll keep you guys posted on my success or failure.

I recommend you get the HH120 (rated at 37 lbs). The reason is that you have to factor the dish's center of gravity relative to the motor. Also, there is the wind factor and the LNBF weight.

IMO, the HH120 will not move that relibly. If it could not move my 1m Channel Master reliably, I doubt it could handle a bigger dish.

Tell me about this 36V motor??
Where were you when we were getting all excited about this motor in November? ;)
Note the weight it can swing...
It takes a Vbox controller to run it, though.

A Vbox would normally be used to run a standard jackscrew positioner for C band.
Movement of the screw doesn't translate directly into degrees of movement, across its full throw.
With the rotary actuator above, it would, and so it could be designed with USALS.

Can you use USALS on either the rotary actuator above, or the linear jackscrews?
I'd reallly like to know.

Last edited:
Tell me about this 36V motor??

A polar mount with a linear actuator, or something like the 1224 supermount H-H motor, either should work fine. Just need to call around and see what CM dealers might still have a polar mount in stock, google and you'll find several people who have them listed. You'll never be happy unless you go with something like that, those small diseqc motors will never be reliable with that 1.2M.

Anole, I don't see how anything could ever do USALS through a Vbox, since it has no way of knowing how many pulses equate to a certain amount of movement.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)