My BUD progress RPT/ SAGA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

esteveW

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Western WA
I installed my mount on the 7' post Friday using a boom on my tractor, lifted the dish. Managed to do it all by myself and after the second skew bolt went into place I kept it balance on center at zero elevation (to keep it from "falling off to east or west). Unhooked from my tractor boom and got it out of the way. Then as I looked over my handy work (before patting myself on the back) I noticed the dish logo, faintly seen on the mesh, was UpSide-Down. OH Crap! Looked the situation over to see if there was anyway to reverse the hardware. Nah! Stayed calm and hitched the boom back to the dish, took the weight off the mount Skew bolts and moved the dish back, just far enough to rotate the dish. ( I should mention that I have been lifting the dish with a chain through the center pipe where the Button Hook goes, on the dish face side. Balances perfect and there is enough slack in the chain to rotate it 180 or more.) Reinstalled the skew bolts and un-rigged again. All went fine from then on.

When I installed the drive actuator and elevation screw at the same setting as from the old site. I don't have any power or control to rotate the dish and the elevation should be about the same at my location. I can fine tune the elevation when my brother brings the digital level back. The azmuith seems to be "something west of 180) I'm guessing it was looking at any of the 4-5 C-Band Sats in that area (125-129).

I couldn't wait to see if I could get any kind of signal with a Blind scan. I rounded up 140' of RG6, hooked it to C-Band LNB and ran it thru my patio door to my Sat Recvr (VS PVR7000. I played around with a few settings and found I could get (Q)=~76% and (S)= nil . It appears to be scanning only H polarity and no way for me to change this (sort of applying some voltage to get it to shift) not sure this would be a safe thing to do.

Right now, all I can do is align it to due south, easy to do since I have my property marker located and they are on true North/South. and My dish is 6" east of the prop. line. I'll just tighten the clamp bolts so the wind can rotate the whole dish and mount. Waiting for my ribbon cable to arrive and find an old receiver to control the drive motor and servo.

I've been watching a couple Uniden 4400 on ebay, seems to have both functions. Checking craigslist and the thrift stores as well.

Steve

Last edited:
Wait - !
All that work...? All that talk...?
And -no- pictures? - :eek:
Have you learned nothing in your time here? :D

Oh, and you might get the dish motor to move with the tractor battery, if you're in a hurry.
I ordered up a Gbox 3000 last week, and it arrived Friday, but may try moving my new baby with an old analog receiver, if I get one.

EsteveW:

Good work, try blindscanning and see if you get anything. Talking to wife on cellphone works ok once you're in the ball park for peaking if you don't have a meter. Set your skew to zero at your true south.

Like Anole, I would love to see pics of your dish install. Hope you took pictures of it hooked up to the tractor. I have a Winegard with a button hook that is still leaning against the house in sections, waiting for a 4" pipe. Post pics if you can.

its a lot easier to take a little tv outside with your receiver and a long orange extension cord, generator, or car battery with an inverter.

the cellphone / two way radio thing with the wife is such a hassle.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts