My First Real Setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PALL MALL

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
3 Weeks ago I finally got sick of watching old dvds, so I found the perfect size tree, cut it down and made my pole. After getting the pole up I hit G18 in 5 mins, and Ive been enjoying tv ever since. On most tp's the quality is 90%-94% and the lowest one has 76% quality. Since the day I put the dish up there been snow every other day. Even through 5 heavy snow and wind storms, I havent lost signal yet. The cost of my setup was $25 for the receiver and everything else I acquired was free.

I have just a few questions.
When are the feeds active on G18, I havent picked up any?
Is WNYI english now? I have been watching it, along with KUTH as CBS channels.

Attachments

• DSC00530.JPG
    DSC00530.JPG
    437.3 KB · Views: 280
Dish on a tree trunk? LOL , very creative to be able to hit G18 like that, wouldn't want to think of trying. It's hard enough for me to pinpoint with the dish on a pipe. Nice primestar, looks bigger than my 1m, is that one of the 1.2M dishes?
Some of the RTN stations moved around last week, it probably would pay to blind-scan that sat once a week or so in case there's any more changes. Far as wildfeeds on that sat, you never know. There's some sports stuff every now and then but I rarely scan it for feeds.

i wonder if when it thaws will the tree move. i like it. if you would have used duck tape on it , it would have been Red Green stlye. have fun.

i wonder if when it thaws will the tree move. i like it. if you would have used duck tape on it , it would have been Red Green stlye. have fun.

It's supposed to move!!! The tree the dish is on will grow back and keep his dish above the neighbors trees that would otherwise block it. This is very Red Green!

Just wondering if that

3 Weeks ago I finally got sick of watching old dvds, so I found the perfect size tree, cut it down and made my pole. After getting the pole up I hit G18 in 5 mins, and Ive been enjoying tv ever since. On most tp's the quality is 90%-94% and the lowest one has 76% quality. Since the day I put the dish up there been snow every other day. Even through 5 heavy snow and wind storms, I havent lost signal yet. The cost of my setup was $25 for the receiver and everything else I acquired was free.

I have just a few questions.
When are the feeds active on G18, I havent picked up any?
Is WNYI english now? I have been watching it, along with KUTH as CBS channels.

Just wondering if that LNB has 2 inputs and if your using the Horizontal side or the Veritcal, if your on G18 then most of the RTN feeds are vertical, I think...
Something else, what type of receiver are you using? If that LNB has 2 inputs, I think you can use a DiseQC switch and get both. Might have to do some adding in your settings on your receiver if that is the case...Just thinking out loud on my part...

Great Dish by the way, Love the Primestar and the mount hey that is pretty cool! I picked up a 2 3/8" 6' pipe at a reseller for like $12 bucks...makes your life a lot easier with a nice stable and plumb mast pipe...

Ironsides a 3x4 multiswitch works great for those old primestar lnbfs, I have a couple using them now. And two more that I just got new lnbfs for. Corner post for chainlink fence is what I
buy for those dishes, they're just the right size and you can fill 'em up with concrete if you want to make them extra sturdy in the wind. The last guy who gave me a primestar pulled the pole up with his tractor, and of course bent it.

Other LNB ideas

Ironsides a 3x4 multiswitch works great for those old primestar lnbfs, I have a couple using them now.
And two more that I just got new lnbfs for.
Hey Turbo - just wondering which LNBs you got for 'em?

And for others reading along, here are some alternative LNB choices, all of which will bolt right on.
Some are quite inexpensive.

Yeah its one of the 1.2m ones. Its already stood up to 40 mph winds, so I think its solid. I looked everywhere local and could not find any 3" inch pipe or fence post, so I got creative.

The LNB has two outputs, im using my old direct tv multi-switch. My receiver is a Rex-I.

Im tryng to get a coolsat 6000 on ebay for $30-$40, It can be an christmas present to myself.:)

Pallmall that reminds me-I think the 1.2 primestar did have a bigger mount than my 1m types, they used a 2 3/8" pipe.....so that corner post thing won't work for ya.
DTV switch is the same thing as 3x4 for our purposes. Did you get all your G18 channels in? Last time I scanned there was about 52.....
"ANole> on my motorized rig I put one of those rudolph reindeer redhead lnbfs-works very well, get about 10pts higher signal on most every satellite (over the stock primestar lnbf)
And on another fixed dish I experiment with I put a JSC321, or is it JCS321, anyway its .4degree and looks EXACTLY like the techsat tracker except for it being grey. LOL

All of the 1.2 M Channel Master dishes I've come across have a 3" mount, but I've read that they can use either a 2 3/8" or 3". A member here has a 90 CM Channel Master with a 3" mount.

Did you get all your G18 channels in? Last time I scanned there was about 52.....
LOL

I have 54 channels and 1 radio channel.

I was able to watch tv christmas eve night when we had 45-50 mph winds, with 70 mph gust or higher. It knocked the ancient OTA antenna right off the roof, but the dish stayed still. We have more wind advisories for the weekend, and the temps are going up to 50 and 60. My mount is solid for now but mother nature will continue to test it.

So far ive been able to watch tv through the worst of weather. I couldnt image if I still had Direct Tv, it would be out every other day lol. When I was removing the multiswitch and dual coaxil, I noticed the installer didnt even bother to bolt the lnb down. They'll never get my business back!!!! $100 a month for commercials 3 times longer than the ones on FTA channels. $3.50 for one local channel, from NYC or LA which I dont care about. I dont need to pay anyone to rot my mind with tv lol.

Wind is blowing my house apart it just finally knocked out the dish, I hope we dont lose power.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)