My First Setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PALL MALL

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Hi, I have been reading alot here the past few days and finally decided to sign up. Im working on getting a pole for my 1.2m dish, so for now I have my old Dish 500 up. Im just tryng to find something to watch with a circular lbn without boring my pants off? Ive been pointed at 110w and 119w. Can anyone tell me if the feeds on echostar 9 at 121w are DBS? Wondering because the only other ku listed was dish network. I used an my old dish reciever to point the dish and the other satellites listed were 61.5,72,77,105,121,129,148. Can anyone tell me whats on these because I cant find anywhere where it says linear or circular?

I can think of one

If they are showing. NASA. Plus the holiday channel and what they call barker channels. AKA advertising dish network. If the dish receiver was once authorized. Besides that they are worthless. Now if you have a super dish you can use that with a FTA receiver to get free stuff on other birds.

You will do alot better when you get the 1.2 up and pointed at say 123 G10 with a fta receiver. Tons of stuff up there. Look for the list.

some favs are RTN and white springs tv.

later,

Josh

Sorry if I was confusing but my mind is boggled after reading so much about fta.

I have a fta reciever, I was just using the dish reciever to point my dish since it knows the difference between satellites. The currents channels I get are NASA, Angel One, NBA another NBA, DishHome, PPV Preview, Promotional crap, and info cards.All the radio channels are scrambeled even the ones that say fta. Im currently at 119 and 110. I just want to know whats on the other high powered satellites I listed? I cannot find a place that list the diffrence b/w circular or linear ku channels.

Im hoping to get my other dish up soon I just need a pole for it.

Thank you Iceberg.

Maybe you could do a scan sometime and update it.

I am getting NBA on 110.

I cannot confirm but lyngsat listed 4 HD local channels from Denver on 129, I dont have a HD receiver. Also it lists PBS on 129, Im going to point at it tomorrow and see if PBS is there.

PBS (WOUB) has been scrambled for several months unfortunately.

I might be cutting close on the rule, but I'll say you might occasionally find a couple short lived things on 148°.

Yup PBS was encrypted. The only thing I got is 3 channels displaying a bunch of information. I might try a couple other sats tonight but its pitch dark and 31F outside.

Does anyone know where I could find a mount for the side of my house or will I be better off with a pole. I have a 1.2m primestar dish, it needs a 3" pole. The dish is surprisingly light so I thought I might be able to attach it to the side of my house.

If they are showing. NASA. Plus the holiday channel and what they call barker channels. AKA advertising dish network. If the dish receiver was once authorized. Besides that they are worthless. Now if you have a super dish you can use that with a FTA receiver to get free stuff on other birds.

After thinking about that I put my Dish 500 back up and hooked up the Dish Network receiver. I got everything I did on the fta reciever, also got channel 100 the interactive services. Funny because I get that channel on my fta box with the 6 channels showing and the audio, but on the dish reciever the channels are blocked out. I must of played the demo games for a while, checked my horoscope and the weather, then read some cnn news. Pretty cool it works, you'd think they would have found some way to encrypt it.

I have another question, Is it possible to get anything on intelsat 5ku with a 18" dish? My receiver says I have signal and quality on all the DBS satellite when I am only pointed at one and intelsat was one of them. On intelsat 5ku I get signal and quality on two tp's, and on some other tp's the signal bounces up to around 80-90 every few secounds. So if I point my dish at intelsat 5ku will I be able to get anything?

The circular DBS LNBFs on a Dish 500 will not pick up anything from G-25 at 97w (previously known as IA-5) since it is a linear FSS Ku-Band satellite. If you're picking something up from that area with a Dish 500, it is probably Nimiq 1 at 91w (a DBS satellite).

Can anyone tell me an online store where I can find a wall or roof mount with a 3" mast. I seen what I was looking for but it was in the uk, I need it in the us. Ive checked sadoum and ebay but im not having any luck.

Sadoun's website has a section for Mounts and tripods, they have several........
don't know if any of them have a pipe bigger than 1 5/8", one says they fit several
dish sizes for fta.

Go for the post if you can, 3" steel posts are available at a fence supplier. The wind is a potent thing, can pull 3" lag bolts out of a roof in high gusts. A wall mount may not give you enough space to pan the dish. If you are living in the southwest where flat roofs are prevalent, a non pen is the best choice. Look at the dish farm thread to get some ideas.

Go for the post if you can, 3" steel posts are available at a fence supplier. The wind is a potent thing, can pull 3" lag bolts out of a roof in high gusts. A wall mount may not give you enough space to pan the dish. If you are living in the southwest where flat roofs are prevalent, a non pen is the best choice. Look at the dish farm thread to get some ideas.

Thank you, I wasnt even thinking about a fence post. I kept thinking about using pipe, has anyone ever used pvc? I remember back in the day my primestar dish was on a thick steal pole, like high grade water/sewage pipe. I wish I didnt give that dish away now :(. Luckilly my mom still had her giant 1.2m one. The dual coaxil was all ripped apat, but direct tv left me with alot of coaxil and a multiswitch :D,and another useless dish :mad:.

My primestar dish is sitting on my porch now serving as reflector for my ota antenna. It works great for digital and terrible for analog. Thats changing though because I cant afford to pay direct tv $100 a month anymore. I live in northern NY, so this outta be fun in freezing temperatures. My house is almost pointed true north and south. I should have a clear los to all the satellites and if theres any trees in the way, I own them so they'll be down for firewood.

If you can't find a fence post that big, check an electrical supply store. I ended up using the 3' pipe used for an electrical mast like the kind that comes from your meter box and extends up the house through the roof. I got mine free from my father in law who had one so I have no idea what they cost, but it worked great. Pretty thick, took a bit to cut with a sawzall because the piece I had was 10', but it works great.

I'd put it in the yard so you don't have to get on the roof or on a ladder.

What you need is 3" tubing. Pipe is measured on the ID and tubing on the OD. If you get thin wall tubing you can fill it with concrete while you are filling the hole.
You can never get exactly 3" OD "pipe" It's always a little under or over and that makes it a bugger. Don't know why they did it that way.

Try a commercial fence company. They have just about any size and weight post you can think of. Some of their commmercial fence posts hold up three hundred pound sliding gates.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)