Status
Please reply by conversation.

W_Tracy_Parnell

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 19, 2005
South of Buffalo NY
With the permission of the mods here I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread on my journey to an FTA system. It might even prove useful to other newbies as an example of what (or what not) to do. :D

I guess I should start with a site survey. I'm off to take some pics if the heat doesn't get me.

Thanks-here goes! My zip is 14781 BTW.

The first photo (sorry about the quality but very hot and hazy) is taken looking about 230 degrees. It shows:

A. Existing 1 5/8 pole cemented in ground.
B. Dish Network Dish 500 setup (unused but aimed right) not cemented.
C. One of the locations I am mulling over for my FTA dish.

Photo 2 (facing about 180) shows:

D. 2 trees that I have permission to cut (one is partially obscured just to the right of "D") as they are dead or dying anyway.
E. Distant trees I do not have permission to cut (not in my yard).

My Thoughts:

I have downloaded and used the Satfinder program mentioned here. If I understand what I am doing so far (and that is debateable), My Dish Network dish is pointed at 110 and 119 aiming roughly 232 and 241. As a non-handyman type I am attracted to the existing poles but I want to use the best location. Also using either pole would mean I would have to cut at least one additional tree (the one in line with "A" in photo 2) that I have not obtained permission for yet.

In addition to "C" I have considered the open area left of the shed and close to the big tree on the left of photo2 (sorry forgot to mark that). I have also even considered the roof of the shed though I hate the idea of climbing up and down. I have a piece of land that has a wide open view south and west but can't move there just yet. Until then I am stuck with this. My primary interest is news/feeds and some sports (mostly golf). I want to see as many sats as I can (I plan on motorized and analog ku too). According to what I think I read from Satfinder, my sats cover about 165 to 272. I think I am only in danger on the 165 end.

What would be the best location for my FTA dish? :confused:

Edit: I want to cut as few trees as I can-sorry I should have made this clear.

Attachments

• IMG_9218-after copy.jpg
    IMG_9218-after copy.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_9219-after copy.jpg
    IMG_9219-after copy.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 277
I wish you good luck, but it doesn't look too good if you are looking to get a lot of birds, you have high trees around, like you wrote, you are going to cut some, it all depends which ones you are going to cut, before you cut any, take notes of what birds you are more interested, where they are located(azimuth), use your compass and try to find the best location to install your dish. In my opinion do a survey of your yard and go from there.

I agree, you seem to be under a canopy of trees! Over the years I have had more problems with whats over hanging a dish than whats in front of it! I suggest using a fixed dish and logging each satellite you find at each location, then pick the best site.

This is where a site survey tool would be VERY useful.

Don't let anyone dissuade you from setting up a system!!!
I'm probably the most disadvantaged on the forum when it comes to trees and Im not doing too bad :)

Thanks to all who replied.

It's true, there are alot of trees around, but I think the way I took the pictures may have given the impression of a jungle setting. Perhaps I am wrong and I can't do it here. In that case I would wait until I move-no question it will work there.

Photo 1 here shows another possible location. This is in the open area in photo 2 (original post) near the large tree on the left facing about 260. You can see the shed on the right for reference. There is a large tree and a smaller one, both can be cut. The remaining distant trees are tall but probably 300 yards away. The closer "scrub" trees are nothing over 20 feet. Acording to a calculator link provided by PSB none of this should matter.

Photo 2 shows the view at about 210. The tree on the right is the same one in the first photo. The tree in the center was marked "D" in my first post. Both can go.

Photo 3 faces about 180 and shows the trees that would be most problematic IMO. They are near the limit on the southern end of my viewing area and not sure there is that much there. But still according to the calculator provided it would be close. They are about 70-80 feet away from the prospective location and about 60-70 feet tall.

I will probably do what PSB said and mount the dish on the spare pole and see what I get-makes alot of sense. Any other comments are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_9220-after.jpg
    IMG_9220-after.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_9221-after.jpg
    IMG_9221-after.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_9222-after.jpg
    IMG_9222-after.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 158
I'd kill for an arc like that!
Here's my place, facing South(ish)
The haze is condensation on the lens of my cam, it's humid here!

Attachments

• IMG_8941.jpg
    IMG_8941.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_8942.jpg
    IMG_8942.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 188
Time to move into the "aquiring funds" aspect of this. I may wait until after the 4th to start my Ebay auction (musical keyboard that I am hoping to get $500 for and some odds and ends). Not sure if the holiday would hurt or help.

Just for kicks I found a sat pic of my house.
The white circle is my dish.
The red area is my property and the arrow is pointing within 2meters of where I'm sitting right now.

Attachments

• myhouse.JPG
    myhouse.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 268
Yeah I think you have me beat in the tree department. In the photos, I was trying to show an overall view of the area and where former installs were but I think I did a poor job. I should be able to get something anyway. The place I am moving (someday) is a dream for C Band or FTA-wide open skies (borders a farm field). My mother-in-law lives there now.

I have another 8 or 9 months until I get to move, if I went to my inlaws on Waltons mountain I'd have a superb arc.
The next place we get will have no trees, I've told that to the wife numerous times, I think she has the message.

Cascade said:
I have another 8 or 9 months until I get to move, if I went to my inlaws on Waltons mountain I'd have a superb arc.
The next place we get will have no trees, I've told that to the wife numerous times, I think she has the message.

Or at least none in the southwestern sky. :)

I've got plenty of trees in my yard as well, 2 pecan trees (one of which is to the east and slightly behind and above my dish farm on my shed roof).

I thought the other pecan (to the southeast of my dish farm) would block my view of 61.5, but I can still see it with perfect quality. The tree must be just east of that bird.

From there west, there's a tree directly south of my dishes, and it's a high one. But I can see over it, since I'm 10 feet off the ground with the dishes and the tree is no more than 30 feet high and is at least 15-20 feet away. I will eventually have to cut the top of that tree though...

The tree is gone from about 95w, and I'm clear all the way past 130w, then the arc elevation and neighboring trees across the street become a problem.

A good point to remember is that birds close to your true south will be highest in the sky, and therefore a blockage south of your dish location might not be a factor unless its VERY high. It does become an issue, however, the further north you live in the country. This is because the elevation for all birds will be lower in the southern sky. My TS bird 91w is at almost 55 degrees elevation!

Yeah,
don't sweat the trees TOO much, when at G10 my dish is literally pointing at a telephone pole and I still get 80+% =)
I DID have to move my set up twice to clear trees though, so everybody is right ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)