My initial review

Status
Please reply by conversation.

aboz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Rochester,NY
I just got D* installed on Saturday, and so far it exceeded my expectations. Here are some positives and negatives as well when compared to my local cable (TWC):

+The install required only 1 wire to go to my DVR's, with the use of the SWM technology.
+The software is light years ahead of TW's software (SARA), this may seem minor, but to me however, having limited vision, it makes viewing the guide much better on the eyes.
+the on line DVR scheduling works well and I have used it heavily.
+The HD is sharper.
+Not having to deal with constant problems related to SDV on cable.
+The times that I did have to call, US based CSR's.
+Being able to take the service with you when you move.

Here are some points that they both share equally:

=Overall cost will be about the same when compared after the promotion expires.
=HD quantity is the same (or close).
=The availability of on demand.

Here a few negative points:

-On demand execution (cable is much more seamless).
-Potential equipment replacement issues(a new commitment).
-Less premium channels

Overall I do enjoy the service so far, there are defiantly more positives then negatives, although my cable was not bad, D* feels more refined at this point. The HD looks much better, the SD is close as well. The quantity of HD is also close. I find it quite amusing that cable talks about the rain fade issue, when I had them (cable) out once a month to fix issues with their infrastructure.

Thanks

I just got D* installed on Saturday, and so far it exceeded my expectations. Here are some positives and negatives as well when compared to my local cable (TWC):

How does the DVR compare to TWC? I was forced to switch from E* to TWC, inorder to get the Sabres (MSG-HD) and the Yankees (YES) in HD. Its great to finally see the Sabres in HD and the Yankees period, however I find TWC's hd-dvr box lightyears behind E* in ease of use. I know I was spoiled with Dish 722, however TWC Switch Digital Video has given me some problems too, and I contemplating making the call to Directv before the month is over the special pricing on the NHLCI packages expire.

The DVR is light years ahead of TWC's, although it may feel a little sluggish, I am used to that with the TW DVR as well. I really enjoy the networking aspect of it. The online scheduling is awesome. If looking to switch I will PM you my account number so we can both get money off, I think it's $100 off to both sides of the referral.

The refferal had to be done at time of ordering. We can try and submit it but upper management who handles such escalations usually get denied.

Also it is important if you do try someting like that the person who was "reffered" call in with there "referer" info not the other way around.

Status
Please reply by conversation.