Tek2000 10' Mesh Dish Install & Initial Review

I think I would string test as has been suggested to see if your dish is warped. If the dish is out of symmetry nothing else you do is going to fix it.

String test is good. They cris-cross and touch in front of the plate. What's next? Moving the rods to try and get the lnb to look at the cross of the strings? Where exactly should the lnb be pointed? Where the strings cross? I tried to install mine close to yours originally but clearly something is wrong.

The 7.5' was bought locally and transported pretty muxh together so this is the 1st dish to have done w/o professional help.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using the SatelliteGuys app!

I would listen to Gary and others that have installed many dishes in the past. I have only done one big dish so I am really not in the place to troubleshoot it for you.

Good luck.....

The big mistakes of stringing dishes

It must be done with the dish down, and halfway up, and at the zenith, if something shifts you won't know it, also leave the up and down string tied and recheck it after each time you move the dish, then move only the one from side to go in front AND IN BACK OF THE UP AND DOWN STRING MY GUT SAYS YOU HAVE A EGG

That makes for the worse dish ever I had one customer say give me a price to fix it, and I will double it, your the 4th guy, and he was a damn 90 minutes away, almost Mass, he had an EGG I took it just about apart tighten all bolts from the center with the dish up like a turtle on its back and kept going around it worked perfectly, and he paid up I never gave up unless the person had a bad dish like a radio shack one or one on a water pipe none I put in I made as much money repairing receivers for other dealers and troubleshooting as new installs I even went 2 hours to NY state to help another dealer who had no electronics background nice guy he bought where I bought from, so the salesgirl asked me to bail him out same thing a EGG dish the string must touch zero space

Reactions: mr3p and KE4EST
What are the characteristics of an egg shaped dish?
How is that different from one thats suppose to be normal and work correctly?

What are the characteristics of an egg shaped dish?
How is that different from one thats suppose to be normal and work correctly?

weak signals and sidelobe issues from nearby strong birds vs the same dish, with strong signals no sidelobes you can see them with a sat look sidelobes (a side lobe is the second harmonic of the main signal) 2-degree spacing can not be done well with an 8-foot dish with digital it eats your signal up.
If it was analog it would be all sparkles, not anything to brag about and not a tree in sight to blame it on its a egg at some point in the arc the inner ring could be off the dish when you at a special point that's not a good thing

just play for loose dishes at zenith must be hard tie

All these issues made it fun back then for me, I knew my stuff, and it felt good without internet to get calls from strangers saying you're the guy I need.

The most money I ever made in one day in 1985 was 4k for a New Britain CT Portuguese club, but many more Portuguese clubs games made money before that they used video of the game brought over on airplane ASAP different world

weak signals and sidelobe issues from nearby strong birds vs the same dish, with strong signals no sidelobes you can see them with a sat look sidelobes (a side lobe is the second harmonic of the main signal) 2-degree spacing can not be done well with an 8-foot dish with digital it eats your signal up.
If it was analog it would be all sparkles, not anything to brag about and not a tree in sight to blame it on its a egg at some point in the arc the inner ring could be off the dish when you at a special point that's not a good thing

just play for loose dishes at zenith must be hard tie

All these issues made it fun back then for me, I knew my stuff, and it felt good without internet to get calls from strangers saying you're the guy I need.

The most money I ever made in one day in 1985 was 4k for a New Britain CT Portuguese club, but many more Portuguese clubs games made money before that they used video of the game brought over on airplane ASAP different world
Would anyone want me to scan the specs of old dishes with pics I have before I dump them like I'm about to do to all my old C-band stuff before COVID -19 or my bladder cancer gets me, the paper is new looking too

Would anyone want me to scan the specs of old dishes with pics I have before I dump them like I'm about to do to all my old C-band stuff before COVID -19 or my bladder cancer gets me, the paper is new looking too
I would think that would be a valuable resource here on Satellite Guys for people who find older dishes that need work. Perhaps KE4EST could put them up in the manuals section. :)

I would think that would be a valuable resource here on Satellite Guys for people who find older dishes that need work. Perhaps KE4EST could put them up in the manuals section. :)

I see my old friend Mike Kohl posted them he would have more than me, he has bailed me out a few times great man

Reactions: Brct203 and FTA4PA

It must be done with the dish down, and halfway up, and at the zenith, if something shifts you won't know it, also leave the up and down string tied and recheck it after each time you move the dish, then move only the one from side to go in front AND IN BACK OF THE UP AND DOWN STRING MY GUT SAYS YOU HAVE A EGG

That makes for the worse dish ever I had one customer say give me a price to fix it, and I will double it, your the 4th guy, and he was a damn 90 minutes away, almost Mass, he had an EGG I took it just about apart tighten all bolts from the center with the dish up like a turtle on its back and kept going around it worked perfectly, and he paid up I never gave up unless the person had a bad dish like a radio shack one or one on a water pipe none I put in I made as much money repairing receivers for other dealers and troubleshooting as new installs I even went 2 hours to NY state to help another dealer who had no electronics background nice guy he bought where I bought from, so the salesgirl asked me to bail him out same thing a EGG dish the string must touch zero space
yes gary, please scan the info in, lots of older usefull dishes out there with no info on the net, thank you, ps. the dish i got from you a couple of years ago “ rocks perfectly , thanks”

Reactions: FTA4PA
yes gary, please scan the info in, lots of older usefull dishes out there with no info on the net, thank you, ps. the dish i got from you a couple of years ago “ rocks perfectly , thanks”
Hey, guys, I gave Scott over 60 pounds of old C-band magazines, that had info on of the 80s every new dish that came out I fully realize posting them could be a copyright issue I had the real missing Coop digest copies and Bob now has them, anyone wants the rest?
You pay for UPS shipping and packing or pick up I'm scared to do much leaving my bladder cancer treatment took my immune system away getting more soon I can't predict good days or bad days I use a mask try to stay outside

Currently the feedhorn/ring looks NE of the center disc. Which way does the dish height need to move on the dish if I'm lowering the feedhorn to look just South of the center disc? l would think the dish needs to move/crank up to compensate to find the arc again with the new sweet spot on the dish.. Is that right?

I had to put a Ku LNBF on my dish offset to the left of center. Meaning it bounces off of the right of the dish.
So a C band signal with Ku on the same sat would have you bumping the dish west to get Ku.
Think of a Ku offset dish where the LNB is on a bottom arm. It aims at a sat higher than center of the dish.
" the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection "

Edit:
Oh yeah. That hob-wolly adjustment with the not so flat washers and nuts. You'll probably smack yourself on the side of your head. How about moving the eye bolt down further on the arm? You might have to drill the hole bigger.

Dish is fixed I believe. The feedhorn was out of alignment by the holes for the dish that was used. Had to move the holes in closer forcing the feedhorn to move. Feedhorn needed to be straightened out too.
String test was good. They cris-crossed and touched. Height and declination needed to be adjusted slightly too. It's taken about 8 days with the heat and working to spend time to get it to work better.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Why do feeds drop about .5db during the day? Is there anything that can be done about that?

I think I got my C-band dish issues resolved also. It only took 4 weeks. :eek: So far, I got +/- 30 degree (from the top of the arc) view of the arc and with some 15 dB C/N signals. Turns out that true south wasn't where I thought it would be. I think I still need to fine tune declination but this heat makes it difficult to get things done. These digital signals are a bit tougher to deal with, also. I think I can get better signal levels on the 90 cm Ku dish, also, but that's for another day (maybe tomorrow?).

Gary, i think this is the first time I ever agreed with you.:eeek

Hi guys I know this an old subject,but can anyone who owns one of these 10 footers can tell me what kind of signal they are receiving like say,MeTv or Movies which are both on SES1 or any channel for my comparison.Thanks