My Latest Random Thoughts

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
I haven't done my bi-annual Random Thoughts since December, and now it's time for some more.

1. The conference championships are unique in that they are both detested by different people; Anders is not excited about the NFC Title game, but I'm sure you can appreciate what will be in the AFC Title Game- 12-4 Steelers vs. 11-5 Ravens, bitter rivalry, intense games this year, great defenses.

2. Here's a personal prediction from me- expect talking heads in the media to proclaim the upcoming AFC Title game as "The Real Super Bowl." They'll disdain the idea of a 9-win team going to Tampa to play for it all.

3. I wish BillD were here right now so I could see his reaction over the fact that the Cards are a win away from the Super Bowl.

4. If the Big East is the best of the major college basketball conferences, what's the worst?

5. Anders shouldn't panic over UNC's two losses; last year, a Kansas team that went on to win the national title lost to a very mediocre Oklahoma State team.

6. I heard the Broncos are hiring Josh McDaniels as their new head coach, the coordinator of that legendary Pats offense of 2007. Can you imagine what he can do with the likes of Cutler, Marshall, and Royal? All they need is a running back ala Maroney.

7. It's hard to believe Wake Forest is off to their best start since 1980-81. Hard to think that even the great teams of Tim Duncan and Chris Paul started that well!

8. Jim Rice was FINALLY elected to the Hall of Fame. Hard to believe he was held back so long because of his so-called "bad attitude." In a world of T.O. and Pacman, Rice was probably a teddy bear in retrospect!

9. Anyone excited about the NHL All-Star Game?

10. What is going to take for Sandra to post a pic of herself? Do the New York Rangers or Yankees have to win a championship? Does St. John's have to make the NCAA Tournement?

11. Even though many things are happening in sports I never thought would happen, one thing that you can ALWAYS count on- Northwestern basketball will NEVER make the NCAA Tournament. That is the only thing that can be mentioned with death and taxes as a certainty.

12. Salsa, if you're in the Raiders shoes, who do you take in the NFL Draft?

13. Today is Joe Frazier's birthday, and it got me thinking about his legendary "Fight of the Century" with Ali in 1971 It's hard to believe that, once upon a time, boxing title fights were HUGE! Now, the world heavyweight title fights get as much attention and excitement as a Rams/Lions game.

14. I heard that Tennessee women's hoops is ranked only #13 in the polls. While that doesn't sound so bad, consider it's the first time they are not in the top 10 since 1986! Is the empire crumbling?

15. What's the best video game console you have ever played?

16. What's your favorite cookie?

17. A year ago, the Lions were 6-2 heading into their game in Arizona against a 3-5 Zona team. It's amazing what opposite directions both teams have gone since that game. The Lions have only won a single game since then (none this year), while the Cards are a win away from the Super Bowl.

18. How come Mets82 or Sandy don't have an avatar? Come on- show something that reflects your pride in your teams!

19. If Arizona plays Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl, I will challenge EVERY Steeler fan on this site to an avatar bet.

20. The Giants' loss yesterday made me realize how hard it is to repeat in sports recently. The Red Sox came damn close to getting another shot, LSU went off the rails, and Kansas is spinning out of control. Still, the Celtics and Red Wings still have to be considered serious threats!

21. Which teams do you think could host the NFL Network's Thanksgiving game?

22. What's your favorite candy bar?

23. IMO, defensive statistics are sometimes overrated. The number of yards you give up gets a lot of attention, but I mainly care about two things: sacks and takeaways. Look at why the Bengals had the year they had in 2005- they were amazing in terms of turnovers and takeaways!

24. Am I the only one who thinks the movie 'Mean Girls' is fun to watch?

25. With a lot of discussion about us showing pictures of what we look like- Salsadancer, Sandra, etc.- I'd like to see some of your pictures.

I'll post mine to start:

meib1.png

I am looking foward to the Steelers/Ravens two teams that are not to "Crazy" about each other

I wish BillD were here right now so I could see his reaction over the fact that the Cards are a win away from the Super Bowl.

Another Punch in the gut of lion fans

7. It's hard to believe Wake Forest is off to their best start since 1980-81. Hard to think that even the great teams of Tim Duncan and Chris Paul started that well!

Watched the game last night...Thats a good team

8. Jim Rice was FINALLY elected to the Hall of Fame. Hard to believe he was held back so long because of his so-called "bad attitude." In a world of T.O. and Pacman, Rice was probably a teddy bear in retrospect!

Can I please see Jack Morris in the Hall...No other big game pitcher in his era

Nope...Not intrested in the Montreal classic

11. Even though many things are happening in sports I never thought would happen, one thing that you can ALWAYS count on- Northwestern basketball will NEVER make the NCAA Tournament. That is the only thing that can be mentioned with death and taxes as a certainty.

But on a better note..Univeristy of Michigan looks like then will be in to make us forget for a bit this past football season

17. A year ago, the Lions were 6-2 heading into their game in Arizona against a 3-5 Zona team. It's amazing what opposite directions both teams have gone since that game. The Lions have only won a single game since then (none this year), while the Cards are a win away from the Super Bowl.

Arizona has always been the hot pick for the last five years or so to do something. Now the have a solid coach who is making some strides.

Footnote Question: Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Famer

wathchamacalit (sp)

Last edited:
1. The conference championships are unique in that they are both detested by different people; Anders is not excited about the NFC Title game, but I'm sure you can appreciate what will be in the AFC Title Game- 12-4 Steelers vs. 11-5 Ravens, bitter rivalry, intense games this year, great defenses.

The AFC CG should be a steel cage death match. I am fully onboard the Steelers bandwagon. They have ex Tar Heels Willie Parker and Jeff Reed going for them.

4. If the Big East is the best of the major college basketball conferences, what's the worst?

It's too early to declare the Big East the best conference. The ACC has 4 teams ranked in the top 10, the BE only has 2.

As for the worst it's probably the SEC or the Pac 10.

5. Anders shouldn't panic over UNC's two losses; last year, a Kansas team that went on to win the national title lost to a very mediocre Oklahoma State team.

We'll be back. Fortunately it's not football or we'd be screwed for sure now.

Wake Forest isn't consistently good but when they are good they are very good!

That's a truly pitiful stat. What's worse is they are in the Big Ten. How hard is it to be competitive there? Even their football team holds their own.

Oatmeal raisin.

That Philly team has 9 wins because it plays in a real division and split its games unlike the Panthers who won against all of the bad teams, GB, NO, DET etc and lost whenever they played good teams, NYG, ATL MINN, etc. Records mean nothing at this point. Getting out of the NFC east alive does. AS far as the Cards go they wrapped it up early and Bolden has been injured. Both are peaking at the right time. I see no advantage for the AFC.

Last edited:
9. No
15. PS2
16. Chips Ahoy w/ dunking milk. mmmm... now i want one...
21. 49ers vs Cowboys. Let's bring back that rivalry.
22. Either 5th Avenue or Butterfinger.
24. Maybe
25. Trust me, you don't.

7. My Duke team is lookignb exceptionally well . . . oh wait, it's not the NCAA Tourney and as quickly they get in, they will quickly be booted :(

15. The original NES . . . always will bring back great memories of late nights trying to save the princess

20. same exact thoughts as a die hard Giants fan

1 - I don't know. I don't think anybody considers the Ravens to be the "old Browns" like people consider even the Rangers to be the "old Senators". How can a team that is more or less an expansion team from the 1980s have a "rivalry" with Pittsburgh.

4 - What do you mean by "major". Among the auto bid conferences, IMHO, the MEAC is the worst, followed by the SWAC, Big South, Southland, America East, Great West, Metro Atlantic, and Northeast. IMHO, all are kidding themselves about being competitive not with the "majors" but with even the other one- and two-bid conferences. If you mean just those conferences that are in the illegal BcS cartel for football, then its the Big 12.

8 - If Jim Rice had played his career in Pittsburgh or Kansas City, no one would remember him.

9 - Love every all-star game. But the North America vs. Europe format is needed.

13 - Frazier was the most under-rated athlete of his generation. He was every bit as good as Ali, and was punished by a culture for doing what most people demanded of athletes, especially black athletes, just a few years before. Be a gentleman who follows society's rules.

14 - The number of good women's teams is simply increasing. If the 1st men's team is a "100", the 75th best men's team is probably a 95 and the 200th is probably an 80. In the 90s, if the best was 100, the 20th best women's team was about a 50 and the 100th was a 20. Today those numbers are closing.

15 - My generation. Atari VCS 2600. OK, laugh away.

16 - Girl Scouts Lemon Creames.

21 - Whoever. I guess it should be a large market or some market where people are a little less "family" oriented and not be bummed about having to choose between Thanksgiving dinner and missing 1/8th of their team's home games.

22 - Nestle Butterfinger.

25. With a lot of discussion about us showing pictures of what we look like- Salsadancer, Sandra, etc.- I'd like to see some of your pictures.

Sabres, the discussion of me posting my picture mostly comes from you. Please refrain, as I will not post one, and you keep giving some people the opportunity to announce that they don't want to see my picture. Since Cybok, Kck Halo and I can agree we don't want my picture here, I think we can put the subject to rest now.

Thank you.

Sandra

Since Cybok, Kck Halo and I can agree we don't want my picture here, I think we can put the subject to rest now.

OK. No problem. This is the last time I'll mention it- I mean it.

I even mentioned it in my signature.

I just hope you could react to some of my other 24 thoughts.

12. "..and with the 7th pick in the 2009 NFL draft....the Oakland Raiders select.....

.......Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech University!............."

...that all depends of course if he declares. Alot of mock drafts have him laready gone if he does declare to Seattle, but...he has yet to make it official. IF, and that is a BIG IF.....he does decide to stay. The Raiders will NEED to go, in reality with EITHER and OT or a DE:

- Everette Brown, DE, Florida. This guy is scary fast and twice as scary strong at 6-5, 250 and the best of the DE, which the Raiders need badly. MY choice if they go DE.

- Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech. Last year, the Raiders actually got weaker was moved from DE to DT. This kid is huge AND fast and an athletic specimen!

-Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia. Fast and big! Rumored huge wingspan of OVER 10 feet. Very good pass blocker but an excellent run blocker, which is the Raiders strong point. Did I mention fast AND big? LOL!

- Michael Oher, OT, Mississppi. Not at big as the other OT, but might be the most versitile AND fastest of the bunch. AND of ALL the OTs, THIS is the guy I hope they take!

IF you get a chance, go here.

Mock Draft Headquarters

They list quite a few "mock drafts" with alot of info you really don't have to go searching for.

I get a sick queezy feeling when thinking about the AFC Title game. On one end you have the team that stole my beloved Cleveland Browns from me in the late 90's. On the other end you have the most despised team from a Cleveland perspective, the Pittspuke Stoolers! That team is filled with annoying players. Everyone from the non-stop smiley faced Hines Ward, the Mountain Goat looking Ben Whopperburger, a tool kicker with bad hair who has the most pictures featured on DrunkAthlete.com, a saftey that has hair longer than Repunzel, aka Princess Palamalu, a stadium named after Ketchup, a mascot that get's DUI's, fans that wave yellow towels for fun.... I could go on for days.....

2. Here's a personal prediction from me- expect talking heads in the media to proclaim the upcoming AFC Title game as "The Real Super Bowl." They'll disdain the idea of a 9-win team going to Tampa to play for it all.

I'm rooting like hell for the Eagles. Fly Eagles Fly!! Reason being is that the Eagles will most likely be able to give the Ravens/Steelers the best fight in the Super Bowl. I just don't see how the Cardinals can matchup against either of those defenses.

6. I heard the Broncos are hiring Josh McDaniels as their new head coach, the coordinator of that legendary Pats offense of 2007. Can you imagine what he can do with the likes of Cutler, Marshall, and Royal? All they need is a running back ala Maroney.

He's a rookie Head Coach. There is still no GM in place in Denver. I expect the Canton, Ohio native coach to experience tremendous growing pains in his first year as head ball coach.

The Demon Decons will be a force to be reckoned with come tourney time.

Congrats to Rice and Ricky Henderson too.

Nope.

13. Today is Joe Frazier's birthday, and it got me thinking about his legendary "Fight of the Century" with Ali in 1971 It's hard to believe that, once upon a time, boxing title fights were HUGE! Now, the world heavyweight title fights get as much attention and excitement as a Rams/Lions game.

I wish Boxing was bigger. I wonder if Pay-per-view effected it's growth?

I grew up on Atari, NES, Sega Genesis and Playstation. Currently I have the PS3 and appreciate the growth in technology greatly. While I don't play many video games, this system is tremendously versatile in also being able to play Blu-Rays and all. BTW, I played Rock Band for the first time over the weekend after a few cocktails with friends. Very fun stuff!!

Oatmeal Rain

18. How come Mets82 or Sandy don't have an avatar? Come on- show something that reflects your pride in your teams!

Skyhi too. My fellow Clevelander should get an avatar too!

19. If Arizona plays Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl, I will challenge EVERY Steeler fan on this site to an avatar bet.

If that Yinzer franchise makes the SB again, I will become the biggest Cardinal/Iggle fan on earth!

20. The Giants' loss yesterday made me realize how hard it is to repeat in sports recently. The Red Sox came damn close to getting another shot, LSU went off the rails, and Kansas is spinning out of control. Still, the Celtics and Red Wings still have to be considered serious threats!

Repeating is one of the hardest and greatest achievements in sports.

Butterfinger

Never seen it. Sounds like a chick flick though.

OK. No problem. This is the last time I'll mention it- I mean it.

I even mentioned it in my signature.

I just hope you could react to some of my other 24 thoughts.

if you want to take a glance at my ugly behind just look at my public profile here. it has a few photos. try to stand far from your monitor as it will explode when my pic comes up!

Sabres, the discussion of me posting my picture mostly comes from you. Please refrain, as I will not post one, and you keep giving some people the opportunity to announce that they don't want to see my picture. Since Cybok, Kck Halo and I can agree we don't want my picture here, I think we can put the subject to rest now.

Thank you.

Sandra

Sandra,

One quick note...it wasn't YOUR picture that I wished singled out as not being posted but all of ours. Personally, I think it was all a scheme to get your picture posted as it seems that is the dream of some members here in the forum. Why I'll never know! Your a woman who loves sports...FABULOUS! Why some guys need the "visual" to go along with it is beyond me. End of story. Thanks.;)

I get a sick queezy feeling when thinking about the AFC Title game. On one end you have the team that stole my beloved Cleveland Browns from me in the late 90's. On the other end you have the most despised team from a Cleveland perspective, the Pittspuke Stoolers! That team is filled with annoying players. Everyone from the non-stop smiley faced Hines Ward, the Mountain Goat looking Ben Whopperburger, a tool kicker with bad hair who has the most pictures featured on DrunkAthlete.com, a saftey that has hair longer than Repunzel, aka Princess Palamalu, a stadium named after Ketchup, a mascot that get's DUI's, fans that wave yellow towels for fun.... I could go on for days.....

You're just jealous.;):D

I'm rooting like hell for the Eagles. Fly Eagles Fly!! Reason being is that the Eagles will most likely be able to give the Ravens/Steelers the best fight in the Super Bowl. I just don't see how the Cardinals can matchup against either of those defenses.

They're offense is damn good, I wouldn't count them out against the Steelers or Pigeons.

How come Mets82 or Sandy don't have an avatar? Come on- show something that reflects your pride in your teams!

Skyhi too. My fellow Clevelander should get an avatar too!

Why does it matter?

If that Yinzer franchise makes the SB again, I will become the biggest Cardinal/Iggle fan on earth!

Might as well, it's not like your team is doing any good.;):D

Sandra,

One quick note...it wasn't YOUR picture that I wished singled out as not being posted but all of ours. Personally, I think it was all a scheme to get your picture posted as it seems that is the dream of some members here in the forum. Why I'll never know! Your a woman who loves sports...FABULOUS! Why some guys need the "visual" to go along with it is beyond me. End of story. Thanks.;)

Thanks for clearing that up.

Sandra

I haven't done my bi-annual Random Thoughts since December, and now it's time for some more.

This will be a test of how Golden NFL ratings are. New York teams are out, and their fans are bitter right now. I get the feeling people don't like to watch the Ravens very much. And people really don't know much about Arizona. Steelers are the only national team. No Giants, Bears, Cowboys, Colts or Patriots. No Mannings, Brady, Romo/Simpson, TO, Favre, etc.

Still, since millions will bet on the games, people will watch.

You may be right, but after this weekend everyone should agree anything is possible.

Depends how you define 'major'.

NC fans did get a little intoxicated over that undefeated thing though.

Such a tiny school, too.

My brothers are all Yankee fans (and older than me), a couple of them remember Rice and thought he should be in the HOF.

Never.

...and the suck-Landers being pathetic.

My dad always said 'Down goes Frazier'

14. I heard that Tennessee women's hoops is ranked only #13 in the polls. While that doesn't sound so bad, consider it's the first time they are not in the top 10 since 1986! Is the empire crumbling?

Women play basketball?

The next one will be my first. Not a video game girl at all.

Freedman's bakery in Belmar. Yummy.

How many people even remember the Lions were 6-2?

Sometimes I'm mad at my teams.

So difficult to repeat these days.

21. Which teams do you think could host the NFL Network's Thanksgiving game?

I think it should rotate so we don't get stuck with another bad game every year.

Nestle chocolate bar

23. IMO, defensive statistics are sometimes overrated. The number of yards you give up gets a lot of attention, but I mainly care about two things: sacks and takeaways. Look at why the Bengals had the year they had in 2005- they were amazing in terms of turnovers and takeaways!

Defensive statistics can be very misleading.

Did not see it.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)