My Random Thoughts (by SabresRule)

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Today is a somewhat slow sports day for me- the NBA Draft isn't for 24 hours, and I'm not exactly excited for the College World Series (BTW, I'd like to see Fresno State win- I don't want to see ANOTHER championship claimed by the haughty and annoying SEC), so I'd like to present my random thoughts.

1. If the Miami Heat pass on Beasley, does this qualify as stupidity or rational thinking?

2. It was nice to see Vizquel treated nicely by the Indians fans- too many instances in other ballparks have old players been booed (See J.D. Drew and the battery incident...)

3. I haven't heard from Sandra in a while- is she running another marathon?

4. For any fellow DBSForums Sports Arena migrators, anybody remember anders AKA the Tar Heels fan? He's the guy I lost a bet with.

5. Does anyone feel that the MLB All-Star Game is not what it used to be way back when?

6. I think Barry Melrose will regret his decision to become Lightning coach- I'm giving him an over/under of four years.

7. I don't know who has it worse- Amy Winehouse or the New York Mets?

8. Bronson Arroyo gave up 10 earned runs yesterday in Toronto- was Dusty Baker asleep after the first five or six runs?

9. Anyone see this week's Sports Illustrated Cover with Garnett and Bill Russell?
(How prophetic: Garnett was on the NBA Preview cover in October an d graces the season's final cover)

10. Why is it that the MLB Draft is not as anticipated by baseball fans like other drafts in other sports? As a hockey fan, I'm always excited for the NHL Draft, and so on for other sports.

11. Now that George Steinbrenner is out of the picture, who's the most hated owner in sports?

12. Which was a sadder NHL team departure- the Whalers, Jets, or Nordiques?
(I say the Jets- they were a fun team to watch, and they allowed my Sabres to be graced by Dale Hawerchuk's greatness)

13. What's the best fast-food drive-in place to get a dessert?

14. "I must break you" is one of the best sports movie quotes of all-time
(Im sure you guys have seen Rocky IV)

15. Now that Notre Dame is now what it used to be, will the networks give us USC overkill or try something else?

16. With NBC keeping Notre Dame football and losing other sports, it should stand for "Nothing But Clods." However, they do have hockey, which is actually more valuable than the Stinking Irish.
(Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malking or Evan what's-his-name? You decide...)

17. Sandra, HD MM, BillDel, myself, SamCdbs, Iceberg, and that guy with the Atlanta Flames logo all have zero broadcasting experience- nonetheless, all of us are far more qualified to broadcast professional football (or any sports) than Bryant Gumbel
(Most of you guys may not like Tony Romo, but at least you can get his name right.)
Luckily, Greg can actually GET THE NAMES RIGHT and care about what he sees.

18. Michelle Wie is the most overhyped female in sports history.
(Danica Patrick, Candice Parker, and Natalie Gulbis have won at least once in their respective sports- a race, a tournament, and a national title)

19. Darko Milicic is the 20th Century's Sam Bowie- he didn't deserve to be drafted ahead of D-Wade, yet got an undeserving ring on that 2004 Pistons team of giant killers.

20. Sandra and myself dont have NBA-caliber skills, yet we're 1000 times better basketball players than Kwame Brown. That the Lakers traded Kwame Brown and 5 boxes of country music CD's for Gasol will go down as one of the greatest robberies in sports history.

21. Which is less interesting- the Canadian Football League, Arena Football, or Boxing?
(I'll take door number three, Chuck!)

22. If you add the number of Islanders fans and the number of Baltimore Orioles fans, you get a number that's smaller than the number of fingers I have on my hands.

23. 2005-06 is what I call a true crossroads year for me, in so many ways.

24. Anybody remember when NBC covered baseball? It seems like centuries ago...

25. Finally, I know this isn't DBSForums, but when it comes to talking sports w/you guys, I am approaching my one-year anniversary in talking on a major technology site w/a sports forum.

Today is a somewhat slow sports day for me- the NBA Draft isn't for 24 hours, and I'm not exactly excited for the College World Series (BTW, I'd like to see Fresno State win- I don't want to see ANOTHER championship claimed by the haughty and annoying SEC), so I'd like to present my random thoughts.

1. If the Miami Heat pass on Beasley, does this qualify as stupidity or rational thinking?

2. It was nice to see Vizquel treated nicely by the Indians fans- too many instances in other ballparks have old players been booed (See J.D. Drew and the battery incident...)

3. I haven't heard from Sandra in a while- is she running another marathon?

4. For any fellow DBSForums Sports Arena migrators, anybody remember anders AKA the Tar Heels fan? He's the guy I lost a bet with.

5. Does anyone feel that the MLB All-Star Game is not what it used to be way back when?

6. I think Barry Melrose will regret his decision to become Lightning coach- I'm giving him an over/under of four years.

7. I don't know who has it worse- Amy Winehouse or the New York Mets?

8. Bronson Arroyo gave up 10 earned runs yesterday in Toronto- was Dusty Baker asleep after the first five or six runs?

9. Anyone see this week's Sports Illustrated Cover with Garnett and Bill Russell?
(How prophetic: Garnett was on the NBA Preview cover in October an d graces the season's final cover)

10. Why is it that the MLB Draft is not as anticipated by baseball fans like other drafts in other sports? As a hockey fan, I'm always excited for the NHL Draft, and so on for other sports.

11. Now that George Steinbrenner is out of the picture, who's the most hated owner in sports?

(I say the Jets- they were a fun team to watch, and they allowed my Sabres to be graced by Dale Hawerchuk's greatness)

(Im sure you guys have seen Rocky IV)

15. Now that Notre Dame is now what it used to be, will the networks give us USC overkill or try something else?

16. With NBC keeping Notre Dame football and losing other sports, it should stand for "Nothing But Clods." However, they do have hockey, which is actually more valuable than the Stinking Irish.
(Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malking or Evan what's-his-name? You decide...)

17. Sandra, HD MM, BillDel, myself, SamCdbs, Iceberg, and that guy with the Atlanta Flames logo all have zero broadcasting experience- nonetheless, all of us are far more qualified to broadcast professional football (or any sports) than Bryant Gumbel
(Most of you guys may not like Tony Romo, but at least you can get his name right.)
Luckily, Greg can actually GET THE NAMES RIGHT and care about what he sees.

(Danica Patrick, Candice Parker, and Natalie Gulbis have won at least once in their respective sports- a race, a tournament, and a national title)

19. Darko Milicic is the 20th Century's Sam Bowie- he didn't deserve to be drafted ahead of D-Wade, yet got an undeserving ring on that 2004 Pistons team of giant killers.

20. Sandra and myself dont have NBA-caliber skills, yet we're 1000 times better basketball players than Kwame Brown. That the Lakers traded Kwame Brown and 5 boxes of country music CD's for Gasol will go down as one of the greatest robberies in sports history.

21. Which is less interesting- the Canadian Football League, Arena Football, or Boxing?

22. If you add the number of Islanders fans and the number of Baltimore Orioles fans, you get a number that's smaller than the number of fingers I have on my hands.

23. 2005-06 is what I call a true crossroads year for me, in so many ways.

24. Anybody remember when NBC covered baseball? It seems like centuries ago...

25. Finally, I know this isn't DBSForums, but when it comes to talking sports w/you guys, I am approaching my one-year anniversary in talking on a major technology site w/a sports forum.

And you're quite the contributor my friend!!! :up:up:up

I agree the MLB All Star game isn't what it used to be. That's because we see most of the players all the time. In the old days, that's the only time you'd see the stars. As a Mets fan, I'd rather look at Amy Winehouse than the Mets right now. The Whalers were a tough loss because I live in Connecticut and we lost our only major team. What I mean by major team, I'm talking about in the 4 major sports-MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL.
Also, congrats on your one year anniversary.

2 - Drew is an arrogant jerk.

5 - Yep. Interleague play. And too many games on TV. And too many teams, leading, especially in the NL, to non-stars due to the every team must have one player rule.

6 - Under.

8 - Dusty Baker was a huge mistake.

10 - Because of three things. One is that the players are mostly unknow, being HS players or college juniors or seniors, with the draft going 50 rounds. Two is that only US and Canadian players are drafted. Latins and Asians, who make up 50% of the league, are signed seperatly. Three is that baseball draftees go to the Rookie Leagues, while football and basketball have no minors.

11. I have Peter Angelos, but that is just politics.

12 - Jets. An entire region stripped of a team. Quebec and Hartford fans just returned to their traditional teams of Montreal and Boston.

13 - Dairy Queen.

15 - As long as ABC holds the multi-league contract, no. Really nobody east of the LA city line cares.

17 - Yep.

18 - Yep.

21 - Door #2, simply because it arrogantly proclaims itself to really be football and really be a league for people other than never-weres.

24 - McCarver-free baseball. Wonderful.

because the NHL draft the guys may be playing come September with the big club...MLB they are in the minors for a few years (most of the time...there are exceptions)

Jets and Nordiques...why? They left Canada where they KNOW hockey. OK Denver did have a team before that but sorry...hokcey should be played north of the Mason Dixon line (and there should be 2 more teams in Canada)

I dont use drive thru...wastes too much gas waiting for the jerkoff in front who has to have 6 meals and all special order...I walk in

how do you know that we havent had broadcasting experience?

yeppers

boxing...I like the Canadian Football League and most of the indoor football leagues...both you never know what will happen and there can be numerous scores in the last minute :)

1. If the Miami Heat pass on Beasley, does this qualify as stupidity or rational thinking? Not necessarily. Despite what the prognosticators say, I actually think O.J. Mayo will turn out to be the best player drafted this year. Mark my words.

2. It was nice to see Vizquel treated nicely by the Indians fans- too many instances in other ballparks have old players been booed (See J.D. Drew and the battery incident...) Yes it was nice to see. Omar left on good graces though. Unlike Jim Thome, it wasn't his choice to stay or go. Omar left because management thought he was too old and they didn't make an attempt to re-sign him. Omar was the last of the great players from the great Indians team of the 90's. I can't wait till tomorrow. I will get to see Omar live one last time at "The Jake".

5. Does anyone feel that the MLB All-Star Game is not what it used to be way back when? When is "way back when" to you? It actually may be debatable that since there is more at stake (winning league earns home field advantage in World Series), the current All-Star game may be more important and exciting now than ever before. The excitement to see the stars in the opposing league may be watered down by inter-league play though.

6. I think Barry Melrose will regret his decision to become Lightning coach- I'm giving him an over/under of four years. I honestly had no idea this guy had a history of coaching hockey before. I just thought he was the prototypical hockey guy (Canadian accent and greasy hair), that ESPN chose to use as a commentator for the sport. Goes to show you what Clevelander's know about hockey! ;)

8. Bronson Arroyo gave up 10 earned runs yesterday in Toronto- was Dusty Baker asleep after the first five or six runs? It's amazing this guy is still coaching in this league.

10. Why is it that the MLB Draft is not as anticipated by baseball fans like other drafts in other sports? As a hockey fan, I'm always excited for the NHL Draft, and so on for other sports. The MLB draft isn't a direct route to the major league team that drafted them. Often times there are years of minor league stints before the drafted player is ever seen in the majors. Bottom line, it's a whole different animal than any other sport.

11. Now that George Steinbrenner is out of the picture, who's the most hated owner in sports? If we're talking all of sports, I'm sure Paul has an answer for you....

(I say the Jets- they were a fun team to watch, and they allowed my Sabres to be graced by Dale Hawerchuk's greatness) who?

13. What's the best fast-food drive-in place to get a dessert? A local place called "East Coast Frozen Custard" is pretty good. It's an ice cream joint, only custard. It's not drive-thru (the city I live in has an ordinance against drive thru's), but it is pretty fast.

(Im sure you guys have seen Rocky IV) What about: "Yo Adrian!" from Rocky or "Juuuuust a bit outside" from Major League.

15. Now that Notre Dame is now what it used to be, will the networks give us USC overkill or try something else? It really wasn't all that long ago that Notre Dame was relevant. Do we all remember Brady Quinn? They'll be alright. Every franchise goes through a down time at some point in their existence.

Luckily, Greg can actually GET THE NAMES RIGHT and care about what he sees. I'm actually a journalism major, however I focused more on print journalism than broadcast journalism. Either way, I have no doubt we would be better than B.Gum.

(Danica Patrick, Candice Parker, and Natalie Gulbis have won at least once in their respective sports- a race, a tournament, and a national title) Did you forget
Anna Kournikova
?

21. Which is less interesting- the Canadian Football League, Arena Football, or Boxing? CFL is least interesting for me. I am one of the few who actually enjoy Arena Football. It's similar to hockey in that viewing "live" does a lot for the game. I've been to a few arena football games and they're tons of fun!

5. Does anyone feel that the MLB All-Star Game is not what it used to be way back when? When is "way back when" to you? It actually may be debatable that since there is more at stake (winning league earns home field advantage in World Series), the current All-Star game may be more important and exciting now than ever before. The excitement to see the stars in the opposing league may be watered down by inter-league play though.

17. I'm actually a journalism major.

I'm a journalism major, too!

As for the "way back when" thing...

You are 100% correct on how Interleague Play has diminished the great feeling, but it's also the magic.

You make some good points, but here's how I look at it. I read some old articles courtesy of ProQuest and this is what I saw:

"Once, the All-Star Game was more than just a collection of the biggest names in the game.

It was a night when everything seemed larger than life, a night when the baseball cards of our youth came to life.

Williams. Mantle. Mays. Snyder. Musial.

The All-Star game was baseball's version of Christmas morning."

In other words, to see players you only heard of on TV or other parts.

That's how I feel the game itself has changed.

For instance, look at thee numbers for the Nielsens shares, and households watching in past MLB All-Star Games.

Here's a link:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/asgbox/asgtv.shtml

I'm a journalism major, too!

As for the "way back when" thing...

You are 100% correct on how Interleague Play has diminished the great feeling, but it's also the magic.

You make some good points, but here's how I look at it. I read some old articles courtesy of ProQuest and this is what I saw:

"Once, the All-Star Game was more than just a collection of the biggest names in the game.

It was a night when everything seemed larger than life, a night when the baseball cards of our youth came to life.

Williams. Mantle. Mays. Snyder. Musial.

The All-Star game was baseball's version of Christmas morning."

In other words, to see players you only heard of on TV or other parts.

That's how I feel the game itself has changed.

For instance, look at thee numbers for the Nielsens shares, and households watching in past MLB All-Star Games.

Here's a link:

All-Star Game Telvision Ratings on Baseball Almanac

Ok, I see what you're saying. So, maybe it was the advancement of media coverage and the availability/awareness of current sports players that have spoiled the mystic figures that were previously only seen/heard once a year during the All-Star Game.

With the All-Star game it is now all about playing all the players and not keeping some back incase of extra innings. Anyone remember the tie? How stupid was that. Pitchers used to pitch 3 innings each and the starters would play the whole game for the most part.

Another thing that causes the MLB draft to lack excitement is the fact that teams aren't allowed to trade picks. That aspect always brings some buzz to the NFL draft every year.

Another thing that causes the MLB draft to lack excitement is the fact that teams aren't allowed to trade picks. That aspect always brings some buzz to the NFL draft every year.

Really? I didn't know that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)