NASA Feeds on AMC3

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Techman703

Original poster
Jan 14, 2010
Northern Virginia
I have a client that requires the NASA feeds in their offices. They've been getting them using a 10' bud and a Motorola 4DTV receiver. Now they're moving to a new building and the old dish had too high a profile to go on the new roof. Does anyone have an opinion about whether or not a 6' c-band dish will have a robust enough signal for this office? They're located near Washington, DC, so the elevation and los are really good. Also, what is the polarity on the AMC3 signal? I need to get a replacement dish deployed in the next week or so, and that being the case I really don't have a lot of time to fool around, but a smaller dish would make the landlord and rooftop management firm happier.

Last edited:
6 footer should be fine. I can get all the DVB programming on AMC3 with the 6 footer in Minnesota

Cant try NASA as it isnt there yet...couple days ;)

I have excellent reception using an almost 6 foot Dish here in CT on AMC-6. Have to wait and see what happens after the move to AMC-3 this weekend.

I have a client that requires the NASA feeds in their offices.

with a 6', you should be good most of the time. There are occasional video services on a satellite to the west that could cause interference, no satellite in the slot to the east (yet).

If you want guaranteed 24/7/365 reception, you'll need like a 8.5-9 foot dish or larger so you have a dish that is at least 2 deg compliant.

So does this mean they are not going to be on AMC 7?
Haven't tried it yet but just wondering

I think the only thing certain is that the AMC-6 feed will be moving. I don't think anything has been announced about AMC-7, so I'd have to assume that it will be staying as it is. Some people have been speculating that since AMC3 is further west, that they may not need AMC7, however that is assuming that they are only using that for Alaska, and not for other further west locations like Hawaii or Asia.

The only drawback of not using AMC7 for Alaska is that it will be a very low elevation for 87W

3 elevation in Fairbanks
4 elevation in Anchorage
12 elevation in Juneau

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts