NASA Mandatory HD Upgrade?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mbarnes

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Today I am getting a banner on the NASA channel that says I must upgrade to HD to continue to receive NASA, even though it will still be a standard def channel. What other channels are affected by this mandatory upgrade? How much are they charging for this? Sounds like another D* ripoff.

It sounds like they may be discontinuing the sd feed.

From DirecTV website:
Yes, DIRECTV will still offer NASA TV on Channel 289. However, starting August 3, 2011, NASA TV will only be available to customers who have DIRECTV HD equipment and are subscribed to HD Access ($10/month). But please note: NASA TV will remain a standard definition channel.

From DirecTV website:
Yes, DIRECTV will still offer NASA TV on Channel 289. However, starting August 3, 2011, NASA TV will only be available to customers who have DIRECTV HD equipment and are subscribed to HD Access ($10/month). But please note: NASA TV will remain a standard definition channel.

Perhaps they are moving it to one of the ka satellites that require hd equipment to receive then.

I'm thinking they are removing niche channels from 101 to improve the picture quality of the remaining channels there maybe.

also dont they need ___% of public interest channels per satellite? Since they added more HD channels recently I wonder fi they are doing that to keep the FCC rules in line?

but between you, me and the fencepost (and whoever else wants to agree with me) why move NASA? Why not move a different channel? Heck move "JLTV" or "Hope" that is on 119 over to the 99 or 103. Then more folks can see it (since there are lots of slimline 3 LNB's around that cant see 119)

Well now, if you are going to start making sense, Directv will never listen to you!

If NASA is a public interest channel, why put it in the HD access group? And why now, when there is 1 shuttle flight left? ?

at least nasa will be in hd like it should be and wonder if dish will have it in hd...hmmm :)

From DirecTV website:

I get all the Nasa master channels (yes there is more than one) on 87w C band SD & HD. Never watch them though, so no great loss if Direct Axe's it.

but between you, me and the fencepost (and whoever else wants to agree with me) why move NASA? Why not move a different channel? Heck move "JLTV" or "Hope" that is on 119 over to the 99 or 103. Then more folks can see it (since there are lots of slimline 3 LNB's around that cant see 119)

Why not move the most popular public access channel to force more HD receiver upgrades ($$) and more 2 year commitments ($$)?

It's a shame that NASA offers the HD feed for FREE, and DirecTV STILL won't add it.

whats even more of a shame is when local newscasts that are in HD when they show a feed for NASA it has the NASA HD logo in the corner yet its black barred on the news

Why not move the most popular public access channel to force more HD receiver upgrades ($$) and more 2 year commitments ($$)?

Who says they are requiring you to commit to another 2 years ?
When they do a swap on thier terms, you would think that it would not be required.

whats even more of a shame is when local newscasts that are in HD when they show a feed for NASA it has the NASA HD logo in the corner yet its black barred on the news

All depends on what the local guys paid for, the HD or the SD highlights.
This happens often with local news and Sports highlights, I find it interesting, seeing you probably watched the game in HD earlier that day.

Status
Please reply by conversation.