NASA TV trying to get

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Compdoggie

Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Memphis TN
I am trying to set up a c band 6 foot dish to get the nasa channels.

I have a sv-360 premiere receiver made by Sonicview it has output for 1080i and will do C band.

Just wondering if I am on the right track for being able to receive NASA TV on AMC 18 c

I have ordered a 6 foot dish and a single c band lbnf

Any feedback would be very helpful as I have been reading for days trying to figure out what to get. I cannot go into any details because when I do this forum will deny my post claiming too many links which I have none or too many forbidden words. Whatever those would be.

Thanks!!

I hate to tell you this but the Sonicview you got will NOT do HD...3 of the 4 channels of NASA are in HD (I owned a 360 premiere before and know it wont do HD)

Any feedback would be very helpful as I have been reading for days trying to figure out what to get. I cannot go into any details because when I do this forum will deny my post claiming too many links which I have none or too many forbidden words. Whatever those would be.
as a new member there are things in the software to prevent spamming. Sometimes the post goes into moderation where a mod would have to approve that (which I dont see any posts waiting)

The 6 foot dish should work in Memphis. I have one in Minneapolis and while the signal is low it is stable.
What LNB did you purchase? If it wont let you post a link just mention the specs on it but most LNB's are the same

Iceberg , Thanks for the quick response!!

The lnbf is a WSI ESX241 The Hype "is the newest single output C band LNBF to hit the satellite industry with the newest technology. This a high stability, high gain, yet low noise figure single LNB allows reception of C band signals with the highest possible signal level and quality. Fits any standard C band satellite dish. Use this with your Free To Air receiver for excellent and superior C band reception."

So I need to target an HD receiver c band that has y pb pv output as I am out of HDMI inputs on my TV, hoping to spend around 100 bucks, any ideas on that?

That 360 premier is something I had leftover from a 36 inch dish ku setup I had to get CCTV 4-6 when my wifes parents came to visit from china, wasn't sure about it working.

THANKS!

Last edited:
Compdoggie said:
Iceberg , Thanks for the quick response!!

The lnbf is a WSI ESX241 The Hype "is the newest single output C band LNBF to hit the satellite industry with the newest technology. This a high stability, high gain, yet low noise figure single LNB allows reception of C band signals with the highest possible signal level and quality. Fits any standard C band satellite dish. Use this with your Free To Air receiver for excellent and superior C band reception."

So I need to target an HD receiver c band that has y pb pv output as I am out of HDMI inputs on my TV, hoping to spend around 100 bucks, any ideas on that?

That 360 premier is something I had leftover from a 36 inch dish ku setup I had to get CCTV 4-6 when my wifes parents came to visit from china, wasn't sure about it working.

THANKS!

I am a fan of the ESX-241 it's cheap and it works.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Wallyhts, Thanks for the feedback , that puppy was 18 bucks with free shipping on the bay!

I ordered the dish today from sadoun , (SD180PM) Sadoun 180cm C-Band Dish with Polar Mount :149.00 plus about 65 shipping.

Then a few mins ago , I ordered the Traxis DBS6000HD from ama-zon for 129 with 6 bucks shipping, I did some research and believe this will do the job. Unit has component out and coax audio (wish it was optic) , Very excited about this unit. May end up getting a jack if I can get the first plan of NASA operational.

Next time, brainstorm with us before major purchase.
We might have a helpful suggestion.

I bought a 3 channel HDMI switchbox, with cables, a few years ago for around $25.
It has a remote, but it'll also auto-switch to the last input powered up.
My TV has a single HDMI connector, normally driven through the switch by my media player.
When power on the DVD player or FTA receiver, they automatically get the screen. ;)

I am Stoked about this dish! Last time I setup a C Band it was a 12 foot channel master! Remember those? A 4 foot deep hole and a lot of concrete! Those units were made of 4 blades of hardened fiberglass.

Anole, I just don't like HDMI, I have a home theater amp that switches 4 component inputs and optical or coaxial, HDMI usually runs the audio to the television and the passthrough is RCA Stereo line. If my amp was more modern, It would switch hdmi but that's a far future project!

I watch NASA in a SV8000hd gives 3 channels. 2 HD and 1 SD. Have a openbox s10 and works good too as a slave. The Openbox is less then $100 but will not support motor load currents.

Got my dish this saturday here is a few pics:

Dish03.jpg The big box! also a small box, Impressed with the quality of the Sadoun Unit

Dish02.jpg My son was excited to put it together until he saw the bag of bolts! :)

Dish01.jpg Keep it in the living room to admire before assembly.

However; if the dish move 1/4" off, because of wind or earthquake; and is steel; it may not perform as well as one thinks it should. A static mount (no motor) can accomplish this (AZ/EL) as single direction is held. The shape, or finally assembled product must be flat across the outer edge of the dish, and any flex of this perfectly round shape will be the final determination of where and how well the dish points. What normally happens is that because the 6 foot dish has a 3 degree or higher 2nd sidelobe (where the dish collects the signal up to) other adjacent satellites frequencies are also scanned "into" a receivers scan. The frequencies of adjacent satellites and when and how they use them will play with any of the NASA channels at 2 degree spacing? Only a perfect 6 foot dish setup with no wind onto the steel dish will show you in time. Some 10 foot and larger dishes show that the 2 degree spacing is really able to exact the full qualities of C Band receptiveness; where the quality level is almost 2 times as high (70 vs. where 50 is at the margin of recvr.); and therefore more dependaBLE; or reliable; in the matter. I.E. Any 6 foot reflector can receive the NASA channels if it perfectly receives using every inch of the reflector; the NASA case is definitely the food it needs perfection on pointing. The system qualities are also dependent on the beam these channels are provided on; as this is the real thing that the dish is "amplifying" into the feedhorn. Let's look at the group of NASA channels; and their "beam" pattern. Here, one might find SF (Alaska?) would be lower in signal gain; compared to St. Louis, MO; and then 8 foot may be required. This is true for North American satellites. What about AMC 18? How does its beam pattern fit where you live? The problems with a 12 foot dish is it needs to be more fine in its mechanical adjustment to receive all sats; it gets so much signal; it picks them only exactly on because its beamwidth is less than 2. The opposite is true with a 6 foot dish; it picks up 2 or three satellites each time it aims in one direction. It can be mechanically adjusted off of the arc; and it still picks up a signal from the satellites; so fine tuning the arc is much harder because the dish can still pick up the signals and show quality. How Very dependent on lower signal level from the dish causes this; (I use analog channel with 4dtv to "center" the arc because I can see the differences arcing does better).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)