NASCAR 2012 season

Watching the Danica Patrick crash was scary. Looking at the on board camera seeing her head go forward just a bit even with the hans device . It gives you a good idea with what happened to Dale Earnhardt. His hit was more head on but it was about at the same speed.

If there is more than one prior champion, the provisional goes to driver with the oldest championship year. Labonte 1984 and 1996 respectivley. Elliot 1998.

its the most recent past champion not in the top 35. Thats why when Penske moved Kurt Busch in to the 22 a few years ago that is how he was guaranteed to be part of the 1st 5 races. At the time he was the most recent past champion.

I know Terry isnt at or even near his best there are a couple reasons why they chose him
-guaranteed spot in the 500
-43rd place gets like $230,000 so making the race is critical
-He can use that 5 times during the season. Ken Schraeder is going to run a few races in it so that 230k bucks can go a long way

Robby Gordon not a fan of the past champions provisional ;)

Robby speaks out against past champ provisional; Labonte responds: #7-Robby Gordon, who had to drive his way into the Daytona 500, is not a fan of the past champion's exemption, and he singled out Terry Labonte. "I think that should be based if you were with that team when you win the championship, not just because you win a championship, because that takes a spot from teams that are working really hard to get in the Daytona 500," Gordon said. "Rules are rules and we made it fair and square by being fast enough. I'm proud of my team and I'm proud to be in the Daytona 500." Labonte, who ran only 12 laps in the first duel because of a vibration, does not have a backup car and did not want to jeopardize his chances of running Sunday, so he retired early. That's a luxury Gordon didn't have. "Obviously I've got a lot of respect for Terry," Gordon said. "This is not a Terry Labonte thing. There are only eight cars that make the Daytona 500. He takes one of those spots. Now seven guys make the Daytona 500. Four make it in qualifying races, three make it on speed. It's just not right. Why take a free ride when the rest of us have to bust our butts to get into the 500?

AND Labonte's side of the story, though, was simple: he was simply taking advantage of the rules in place. With the #32 FAS Lane team he drove for without the money to buy a backup car, crashing in the Duels meant starting in Sunday's Daytona 500 would be impossible. "That's the only car we got," he explained. "That wreck was right in front of us, there, and we just couldn't take a chance on wrecking it. I think we practiced enough [Wednesday], in a pack, and what little we did today, the car's really good but we just couldn't risk it

its the most recent past champion not in the top 35. Thats why when Penske moved Kurt Busch in to the 22 a few years ago that is how he was guaranteed to be part of the 1st 5 races. At the time he was the most recent past champion.

I know Terry isnt at or even near his best there are a couple reasons why they chose him
-guaranteed spot in the 500
-43rd place gets like $230,000 so making the race is critical
-He can use that 5 times during the season. Ken Schraeder is going to run a few races in it so that 230k bucks can go a long way

They were discussing the pay out for last place in the 500, discussion was about why they have Start and Park guys.

I think I heard that the payout is even MORE than you mentioned, they said closer to $275 or there abouts.

Speed kept saying 230k which is why guys like Mikey Walltrip and Kenny Wallace were pissed they didnt make it

Robby Gordon not a fan of the past champions provisional ;)

Robby speaks out against past champ provisional; Labonte responds: #7-Robby Gordon, who had to drive his way into the Daytona 500, is not a fan of the past champion's exemption, and he singled out Terry Labonte. "I think that should be based if you were with that team when you win the championship, not just because you win a championship, because that takes a spot from teams that are working really hard to get in the Daytona 500," Gordon said. "Rules are rules and we made it fair and square by being fast enough. I'm proud of my team and I'm proud to be in the Daytona 500." Labonte, who ran only 12 laps in the first duel because of a vibration, does not have a backup car and did not want to jeopardize his chances of running Sunday, so he retired early. That's a luxury Gordon didn't have. "Obviously I've got a lot of respect for Terry," Gordon said. "This is not a Terry Labonte thing. There are only eight cars that make the Daytona 500. He takes one of those spots. Now seven guys make the Daytona 500. Four make it in qualifying races, three make it on speed. It's just not right. Why take a free ride when the rest of us have to bust our butts to get into the 500?

AND Labonte's side of the story, though, was simple: he was simply taking advantage of the rules in place. With the #32 FAS Lane team he drove for without the money to buy a backup car, crashing in the Duels meant starting in Sunday's Daytona 500 would be impossible. "That's the only car we got," he explained. "That wreck was right in front of us, there, and we just couldn't take a chance on wrecking it. I think we practiced enough [Wednesday], in a pack, and what little we did today, the car's really good but we just couldn't risk it

Whats Robbie Gordon's problem, he DROVE his way into the race and is starting WAY better than the Provisional spot that Terry is in.

Now, I will watch (when I can, will be traveling for part of it, inn the air for part as well), and root for Terry to finish ag=head of Robbie, of course in reality, that shouldn't be hard ...

If Robbie was a better racer, he wouldn't have to be in the position to have to use the last spot.

If Robbie was a better racer, he wouldn't have to be in the position to have to use the last spot.

Its not about him being a better racer.He is a really good racer,the problem is he is a team owner using his own money and what little he can muster from sponsors.It's very hard to compete when you don't have the funds like the big teams do.

exactly. Same with the car that Labonte is driving. The difference is Labonte's team didnt have to worry about making the race because they already had on a (what some folks feel) is a cop out way of getting in

The rules for non points races like the Bud Shootout where its got some oddball stuff like winners of the 500 or coke 400, past winners of this race etc thats fine. Thats why you always saw guys like Derrick Cope in the bud shootout. He didnt do crap when he raced but that one time when Dale Sr blew a tire and Cope won the 500...thats hit "get into these races" card

The 500 has enough goofy rules. The past champions provisional should be good for champions up to 10 years removed.

I am very tempted to start Stenhouse on my fantasy team.He is driving a Rousch car.He could very well be this years Bayne.Stewart is overdue though 17 wins at Daytona but never a 500 win.

The 500 Fox coverage starts at 12 noon est, what time does the actual RACE start ?

edit:
I'm guessing Fox Pre race at noon and actual race at 1, but was unable to verify this.
There use to be a spot on the NASCAR website that broke down all the things happening before and after and gave the actual time of the start, but since they changed thier website, I can't find that info.

Also find it very hard to find the Qualifying results online, at nascar . com ...
You would think that that would be somethings that they would want everyone to be able to find.

Also, not sure why Fox does this, but they include the Pre Race time in the same time slot as the racxe, so if you want to Record the race, you have to have the BS pre race as well, so you've wasted an hour or so of Recording space.

Sure wish they would change this.

Last edited:

NFL Divisional Round Picks

Lance Armstrong finally giving up fight against allegations

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)