Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Welcome to NASCAR 2017

Non Points Race tonight.

Battle for Front Row tomorrow.

The rest of the field on Thursday.

I really like the way they do this for Daytona, heres hoping that NASCAR F* that up.

I know they have a sense of "We have to change things daily" ...

I know they did change alot, but I did not pay attention to what they were ...

Can anyone give a brief summary of changes ...
unless you want to go into details.

Can anyone give a brief summary of changes ...

Here's a pretty good summation of the changes:

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/18690223/new-rules-more-2017

...and if you want a good headache, here's a more indepth explanation of the new point system:

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/s...ar-changing-points-system-reward-drivers-race

Overall, I like the removal of damaged cars, and I think the traveling medical team and new inspection procedures are good moves; however, the race "stages" and in-race points are just another contrived mess trying to manufacture fake all-star race drama into every event, IMO.

Reactions: Jimbo
I gave up on it a couple seasons ago. I still watch Daytona and occasionally I'll catch some from Charlotte or Darlington, but overall it's just not interesting anymore

Here's a pretty good summation of the changes:

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/18690223/new-rules-more-2017

...and if you want a good headache, here's a more indepth explanation of the new point system:

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/s...ar-changing-points-system-reward-drivers-race

Overall, I like the removal of damaged cars, and I think the traveling medical team and new inspection procedures are good moves; however, the race "stages" and in-race points are just another contrived mess trying to manufacture fake all-star race drama into every event, IMO.
Ok, I read over the new rules for points ... it's even more confusing than it use to be.
Now we have segments and PLAYOFF points awarded ... Ok, Are they going to stop the races at these points and have a restart, or just keep going and the computers tell who gets awarded the points ?

Ok, I read over the new rules for points ... it's even more confusing than it use to be.
Now we have segments and PLAYOFF points awarded ... Ok, Are they going to stop the races at these points and have a restart, or just keep going and the computers tell who gets awarded the points ?

Competition caution will be thrown at end of stage for drivers to pit if they choose and next stage will begin with drop of green flag racing.

Competition caution will be thrown at end of stage for drivers to pit if they choose and next stage will begin with drop of green flag racing.
Ok, that's just stupid ....
Cautions breed wrecks, then again that might be what they are hoping for knowing them.

From about 1990 till 2010 I watched ..... since then I've watched the Major ones and catch others when I don't have anything else going on .... yes, losing interest as the rules change and the years go by.

Reactions: DWS44
And endless green flag laps breed boredom,unless it's your guy in front and even that gets old after awhile.
I'll watch the Daytonas,Taladegas and the road races,the rest,if I have absolutely nothing else to do and then maybe just the last 20 or 30 laps.

Thread stuck. I will have to watch a few races to see if I like all the changes.

Wow...the changes this offseason have no bounds. Even my ROCK of NASCAR coverage, jayski.com, had to have a glam makeover.

Maybe it was the nostalgia of it, but I loved the quick-read simplistic interface Jay had maintained over the years. Now the whole site has been re-skinned to match the rest of the ESPN website. :mad:

I've given up on trying to use several sites for many things, not just Nascar. Autotplay videos that I can't disable easily without blocking them in adblock, video only stories. Ad banners that I have to wait to load before the stories. Not worth the aggravation, when I just want to quickly read some news, not listen to a 5 min video with a bunch of watercooler talk

Turned it off after the 16 car pileup. I said it when they came up with the ludacris "Stages" format, all it's going to do, besides stretching the overall time, is promote aggressive driving that's going to result in an increase in dangerous accidents. Well, it happened. What we had today, instead of a 500 mile race, was two 60 lap races and one 80 lap race. Imagine if the NFL gave points to whichever team was leading after each quarter and the top 8 points accumulators made the playoffs at the end of the season. Well this is just as dumb.

Reactions: Jimbo and DWS44
Not sure what these guys didn't understand. The first year I had to run the mile in elementary school, my third grade gym class the teacher said, if you want to run 1.5 miles run the outside of the track, if you just want to run a mile keep to the inside. It really baffled me that when it became obvious fuel might be a factor no one attempted to go low except Logano and Blaney. I'm glad Jeff Gordon made that point in the post race. Thrilling finish at the end. While my boy Logano didn't crack the top 5, glad Blaney got second after I thought he was completely out of it a few times.

Absolutly love that if your car is damaged and goes behind the wall, no more repairs. You're done! That should have been enacted years ago. Between that and now with no more replaceable panels and such, that's less debris that has a chance to fall of, so less of the so called 'phantom' cautions. Not sure how I feel about the 5 minute clock or the segments yet.

Reactions: osu1991
I can't wait for the CocaCola 600...... Three stages.... My god the drivers will have to drive....200 miles.... Oh the humanity.... Well at least there are nicely timed bathroom breaks. I can see it now, driver wins the most stages and takes the championship... Kidding.:cool:

Not sure what these guys didn't understand. The first year I had to run the mile in elementary school, my third grade gym class the teacher said, if you want to run 1.5 miles run the outside of the track, if you just want to run a mile keep to the inside. It really baffled me that when it became obvious fuel might be a factor no one attempted to go low except Logano and Blaney. I'm glad Jeff Gordon made that point in the post race. Thrilling finish at the end. While my boy Logano didn't crack the top 5, glad Blaney got second after I thought he was completely out of it a few times.

Absolutly love that if your car is damaged and goes behind the wall, no more repairs. You're done! That should have been enacted years ago. Between that and now with no more replaceable panels and such, that's less debris that has a chance to fall of, so less of the so called 'phantom' cautions. Not sure how I feel about the 5 minute clock or the segments yet.
The 5 minute clock seems like a bad idea ...
However if I heard correct After the race I think Gordon explained it, if you wreck you have a total of 5 minutes to fix on pit row, a cumulative mind you and that's it .....
But then I heard him say if you make minimum speed the clock ends .... now that's not the way I understood it.

But then I heard him say if you make minimum speed the clock ends .... now that's not the way I understood it.

Yeah...apparently once you return to the track and confirm you meet the minimum speed, the clock goes away. I was listening to Harvick's scanner traffic, and that was how his crew chief explained it as well while they were working on the 4 car after one of the wrecks.