National HD Channel Roll-Out Plans

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Boston accent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some words used in the Boston area but not in many other American English dialects (or with different meanings) are:

* bubbler or water bubbler — 'drinking fountain'
* cleansers — 'cleaners (mostly on signage)'
* dooryard - the front yard or driveway area
* down cellar — 'in the basement'
* frappe — 'a blend of ice cream, milk, and syrup'[3] (milkshake refers to a concoction not made with ice cream)
* hoppa (hopper) - toilet or toilet seat; "He can't talk now, he's onna hoppa."
* into town — 'into Boston' (similar to New Yorkers' use of "the City")
* jimmies - chocolate 'sprinkles'
* johnny — a medical gown worn by patients for examinations
* milk shake - 'drink composed of milk and flavored syrup, without ice cream[4]'
* packie — 'liquor store', short for "package store"
* parlor - 'living room', 'family room'
* pissa (or pissah) - Good, great, fantastic.[5] A superlative often combined with wicked (see below) as in "Tommy threw a wicked pissa party last night!" Rarely, it is spelled "pisser," but even rhotic speakers usually "drop the R" at the end of the word.
* puffer — hand-held asthma inhaler
* regular coffee — 'coffee with milk (or cream) and usually two spoonfuls of sugar'
* rotary — 'traffic circle or roundabout'
* spa — 'convenience store' (originally, it meant a store with a soda fountain). A "Town Spa" is often a pizza restaurant.
* time — 'a party', e.g., "My buddy's having a time over at his place."
* tonic — 'soft drink' (tonic is retreating in favor of soda among younger speakers)
* town club or sports club - When Boston surburbia was woods and farms, men would gather here for deer hunting expeditions. When the land was subdivided into Levitt houses and McMansions, these "clubs" became places where the aging, ex-hunters would gather to escape their wives and get sloshed.
* The T - Public transportation in the Metro Boston area. Refers to the subway, the streetcar, the ferry, and the bus. The ferry is highly recommended because it bypasses traffic, and they serve beer.
* triple decker — or more commonly three decker a three-story, three-family home with one unit built on top of the other'
* wicked — 'very'; alternatively, 'wicked' may also indicate approval or become a universal descriptor, e.g., "That chowdah was wicked good."

CT Baby! Fairfiled County representin'! Loved it up there, but too darn expensive...and a tad bit chilly in Jan/Feb...had to move back down south to raise my family.

CT Baby! Fairfiled County representin'! Loved it up there, but too darn expensive...and a tad bit chilly in Jan/Feb...had to move back down south to raise my family.

I hear you. Its cold at times but I like the balance and the access to everything. Boston/NY in 2 hours, major skiing in 3, season changes, good highways, beer, lots of airports, etc. Fairfield County is just the exception to everywhere in the world. Even the rest of normal nutmeggers dont go there. Way way too expensive.

Lived about 200 yards' stroll to MetroNorth station, so EASY trip into the City, and Boston only 2 hours away was nice. Miss just about everything that CT had, except that ever-present "whoosing" sound when I opened my wallet and moths flew out... Heck, I had a State Park mountain in my back yard..year round hiking was great. -20 wind chill not so great...but then again, for the past three weeks, 100+ with the heat index is not so much fun either.

What they've said is if you have the HD access charge on your account, you'll get the HD version of a channel if that channels SD version is in your package. So you should be able to look at the current packages and see what you'd get.

Not sure that entirely answers the question. Currently the SD lils and HD lils are shown using the duplicates of the same channel number with no distinction of SD/HD. HBO/HD and SHO/HD are distinguished by different channel numbers.

I interpreted the question to mean:
  • will the mpeg2/mpeg4 versions both be in the program guide, or will the mpeg4 IRD have the smarts to display only the mpeg4?
  • if both are shown, will the mpeg2 ch be the same number as the mpeg4 version (like lils/hd-lils) or different (like sd/hd premiums)?
did I just go back on-topic?

Not sure that entirely answers the question. Currently the SD lils and HD lils are shown using the duplicates of the same channel number with no distinction of SD/HD. HBO/HD and SHO/HD are distinguished by different channel numbers.

I interpreted the question to mean:
  • will the mpeg2/mpeg4 versions both be in the program guide, or will the mpeg4 IRD have the smarts to display only the mpeg4?
  • if both are shown, will the mpeg2 ch be the same number as the mpeg4 version (like lils/hd-lils) or different (like sd/hd premiums)?

With an HD receiver, the locals are shown with same number but the call signs (like WHDH or WFXT) are populated for the HD ones and listed as BN(number) and are second on the list. NESN is 623 and listed as NESNH and NESN. So pretty easy to figure out which one is HD. Take the top one.

I have a feeling they will do duplicate numbers but the MPEG2 ones will not be viewable if you have MPEG4 hardware. Just a guess. Or you will see 3. I hope not though. I have a feeling what we see now will be much different on the switch over. It has to be. Way too many channels and a good time to revamp things.

With an HD receiver, the locals are shown with same number but the call signs (like WHDH or WFXT) are populated for the HD ones and listed as BN(number) and are second on the list. NESN is 623 and listed as NESNH and NESN. So pretty easy to figure out which one is HD. Take the top one.

I have a feeling they will do duplicate numbers but the MPEG2 ones will not be viewable if you have MPEG4 hardware. Just a guess. Or you will see 3. I hope not though. I have a feeling what we see now will be much different on the switch over. It has to be. Way too many channels and a good time to revamp things.

Brewer,

Id agree and think the guys with HR20's would only see mpeg4 channels and sd feeds. Im sure theyve got a good plan in place.

Understood, my DMA uses a different prefix.... but that doesn't answer how you distinguish when both are HD (mpeg2/mpeg4).

that kind of straddled the question of whether the IRD would get "smarter" (smart enough to show 1 or too dumb to distinguish between 3)...

it might be a good plan, but what is it? it affects the the H20, H21 in addition to the HR20's....

Thats it JPN, we dont know. I think we agree that it cant be 3 all stacked as it gets confusing. Thats why I think Directv is going to implement something new to organize and better manage the channels.

I hope that they DON'T block the SD versions from the HD folks. Ka is more prone to rain fade then Ku and I'd like to be able to fall back to the SD versions if needed. Don't they now for the HD RSN's have the HD version show up first then the SD version?

I hope that they DON'T block the SD versions from the HD folks. Ka is more prone to rain fade then Ku and I'd like to be able to fall back to the SD versions if needed. Don't they now for the HD RSN's have the HD version show up first then the SD version?

Yes, the HD ones are on top of the SD ones. I dont get any rain fade so for me, I dont care if the SD version ever existed. I dont know the answer or the one that will satisfy everyone but I just hope there is some flexibility in truly customizing and finding channels especially HD over SD. If its just one channel stacked on the other, the initial setup may handle it for me but thats alot of initial setup for 50+ combo HD/SD channels. I am looking forward to it though. :D

Yes, the HD ones are on top of the SD ones. I dont get any rain fade so for me, I dont care if the SD version ever existed. I dont know the answer or the one that will satisfy everyone but I just hope there is some flexibility in truly customizing and finding channels especially HD over SD. If its just one channel stacked on the other, the initial setup may handle it for me but thats alot of initial setup for 50+ combo HD/SD channels. I am looking forward to it though. :D

Come on down to Texas, I've had more rain fade in the past three months down here then I had in the Chicago area in 10 years (but to be fair, I did have snow fade in Chicago). Yea, it might be a pain to start with but no more so then having to set up your favorites when you originally get an STB.

Come on down to Texas, I've had more rain fade in the past three months down here then I had in the Chicago area in 10 years (but to be fair, I did have snow fade in Chicago). Yea, it might be a pain to start with but no more so then having to set up your favorites when you originally get an STB.

Lets just hope Vurbano doesnt see this post and start another my area rains more then your area again. :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)