NBA 2008-09 Season

Report: Dumars Takes Pistons’ Standouts Off the Market
By LARRY LAGE
Posted Sep 18 2008 4:21PM

DETROIT, Sept. 18 (AP) -- The Detroit Pistons expect to start the season next month with the same nucleus they've had in recent years.
That wasn't Plan A.
Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars told The Associated Press on Thursday he's keeping the team together because no one offered him a good deal after he publicly put his players on the trading block in June.
"We talked to teams this summer, but nothing was presented to me that would make us better than we already are,'' Dumars said. "This can be one of the elite teams in the league that contends for a championship.''
When coach Flip Saunders was fired, Dumars said Rodney Stuckey was the only player he wouldn't trade in a win-win deal.
"Whatever I said at that press conference wasn't new to the players,'' Dumars said. "They know where I stood then and where I stand now, unhappy about how last season ended.''
Detroit was eliminated on its home court in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals by the Boston Celtics, who went on to win the title. The Pistons lost in the same round the previous two years, getting sent home by the Cleveland Cavaliers and Miami Heat.
Chauncey Billups, Richard Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince, Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess have been Pistons since the 2004-05 season, the year after the franchise won its third championship.
Billups, Hamilton and Prince are entering their seventh season in Detroit, hoping to at least advance to the conference finals for the seventh year in a row.
But Dumars is confident new coach Michael Curry will motivate the old nucleus to play hard.
"Part of the reason we hired Michael Curry was that he can instill a sense of urgency in how we play and the discipline that we play with,'' Dumars said. "Those two things were missing last year, in my estimation.''
The Pistons open training camp Sept. 29, and their season-opening game is Oct. 29 at home against the Indiana Pacers. "We're going forward with the same nucleus, but I'm still not happy with how the season ended,'' Dumars said. "But we'll put that behind us, and we'll try to make it right this year.''

Anyone know who's playing on Christmas this year?

Are you ready for this? The NBA is showing a quintrupleheader on Christmas Day this year!

12 Noon ET- Hornets at Magic (ESPN)

2:30 ET- Spurs at Suns (ABC)

5:00 ET- Celtics at Lakers (ABC)

8:00 ET- Wizards at Cavaliers (TNT)

10:30 ET- Mavericks at Blazers (TNT)

Are you ready for this? The NBA is showing a quintrupleheader on Christmas Day this year!

12 Noon ET- Hornets at Magic (ESPN)

2:30 ET- Spurs at Suns (ABC)

5:00 ET- Celtics at Lakers (ABC)

8:00 ET- Wizards at Cavaliers (TNT)

10:30 ET- Mavericks at Blazers (TNT)

All five matches look great- although any of these teams could go into the tank.

Danny Ferry Fills Out Roster | WaitingForNextYear

Well, we all thought that Danny Ferry was now done with this year’s roster after the re-signing of Delonte West last week, but evidently we were wrong. The Cavaliers are expected to sign SF Ronald Dupree, as per HoopsHype,
Ronald Dupree, who will go in history as the last player inked by the Seattle SuperSonics, will be signed by the Cleveland Cavaliers.”
Not that this is anything Cavs fans should jump up and down about. Dupree, at 6?7? and 208 lbs is a slashing player who cannot hit a jump shot to save his life, but what he is, though, is a very tough defender and a quick, athletic player. He’s also actually a very efficient rebounder on a per minute basis. I wouldn’t expect to see him get on the court much this year, but he could potentially be used as a defensive sub in situational spots where the Cavaliers need to get a stop.
The interesting thing about this signing is that it puts the Cavs roster now at 16, one over the league max:

1. Mo Williams
  2. Wally Szczerbiak
  3. LeBron James
  4. Ben Wallace
  5. Zydrunas Ilgauskas
  6. Delonte West
  7. Anderson Varejao
  8. Daniel Gibson
  9. J.J. Hickson
  10. Tarence Kinsey
  11. Sasha Pavlovic
  12. Lorenzen Wright
  13. Darnell Jackson
  14. Eric Snow
  15. Lance Allred
  16. Ronald Dupree
Eric Snow is definitely going to retire, but the question will be when that decision is finalized and when the Cavs can get him off the books. There are advantages to having him on the inactive roster as his expiring contract can be used to possibly facilitate a trade deadline deal. More likely, this will probably mean the official end of Lance Allred with the Cavaliers.

Wizards/Cavs may not be a smart idea because:

1. Agent Zero's hurt and may miss the Christmas game

2. It's a lopsided rivalry, with the Wiz never winning big games; IMO, it's the NBA's version of the Roadrunner and the Coyote.

Wizards/Cavs may not be a smart idea because:

1. Agent Zero's hurt and may miss the Christmas game

2. It's a lopsided rivalry, with the Wiz never winning big games; IMO, it's the NBA's version of the Roadrunner and the Coyote.

1. When is Agent Zero not hurt? I think he's made of glass.

2. The trash talk and hard fouls that go on during this matchup though are epic.

Celtics forward Miles suspended 10 games for drug violation
Sep. 19, 2008

CBSSports.com wire reports
dot.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]NEW YORK -- Boston Celtics forward Darius Miles has been suspended without pay for 10 games for violating the terms of the anti-drug program at the end of the 2007-08 season. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Miles' suspension will begin with the first game of the 2008-09 regular season for which he is eligible and physically able to play. Miles has missed the past two NBA seasons because of knee injuries. He has averaged 10.6 points and 5.2 rebounds in his career. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The 26-year-old was selected third overall by the Los Angeles Clippers in the 2000 draft. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]He signed with the Celtics last month. [/FONT]

Celtics forward Miles suspended 10 games for drug violation
Sep. 19, 2008

CBSSports.com wire reports
dot.gif

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]NEW YORK -- Boston Celtics forward Darius Miles has been suspended without pay for 10 games for violating the terms of the anti-drug program at the end of the 2007-08 season. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Miles' suspension will begin with the first game of the 2008-09 regular season for which he is eligible and physically able to play. Miles has missed the past two NBA seasons because of knee injuries. He has averaged 10.6 points and 5.2 rebounds in his career. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The 26-year-old was selected third overall by the Los Angeles Clippers in the 2000 draft. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]He signed with the Celtics last month. [/FONT]

Darius Miles?! Say it ain't so Boston?! This guy is worthless. So much talent, yet so little passion and hustle. He played for Cleveland for two years and did absolutely nothing for our franchise.

If Elton Brand does comeback from that injury (Achilles?), the Sixers will be very good indeed. The balance of power is slowly coming in the Eastern Conference's direction. Outside of the Lakers, and New Orleans ( my favorite in the West), none of those teams scare me. The Pistons would have beaten the Lakers in the finals also.

Hmmmm....I would jump at the chance.

Miami Heat should sign Marbury if he's available

Greg Cote's blog | Random Evidence of a Cluttered Blog
BY GREG COTE
gcote@MiamiHerald.com

Stephon Marbury carries a reputation of chaos in sneakers. He can be selfish and pouty and bring an ego befitting his nickname: Starbury. He is coming off an injury and unquestionably is a few years beyond his prime. For sure, one can see why many in NBA circles might regard him as less an answer than an anathema.

The Heat should sign him in a minute. If not sooner.

Miami should hope he becomes available -- that the New York Knicks release him as expected -- because for all of the things Marbury is not (an ideal teammate with a perfect attitude), here is what he most certainly is:

Better than what the Heat has at point guard. Much.

Would Marbury enhance the good vibe in the locker room, lead the chorus of Kumbaya in five-part harmony and add tranquility to the life of rookie coach Erik Spoelstra? Well, OK, maybe not.

But would he make the Heat better? Yes.

He would make the team more talented, more experienced at a vital position and more likely to make the leap from a league-worst 15-67 record back into the playoffs.

Two major caveats are in play here, of course.

First, the Knicks must let him go, as it has been reported they will. Club president Donnie Walsh said he expects Marbury there when the team opens training camp next week, but it is clear a parting is mutually desired. It is clear the negotiating down of the $21.9 million buyout that would be due Marbury is holding up his release.

Second, this presumes Marbury would come here with enthusiasm and willingness. Could he work within a system that will demand defense of its point guard? Could he subjugate his ego to respect a rookie coach in the same way if Hall of Famer Pat Riley were still courtside? In essence, would he play a role? His role would be primarily to 1) never forget this is Dwyane Wade's team and 2) help rookie Michael Beasley become a star.

BIG UPSIDE

If Marbury is willing, Miami should roll dice and go for it, because the potential upgrade is tremendous.

As is, the Heat is set to open training camp in perilous shape at point guard -- a situation of even more concern than at center, where Joel Anthony, Mark Blount and Jamaal Magloire compete, but the best option might be using Udonis Haslem as an undersized center.

Miami's three point guard options show no such safety net:

• Journeyman Marcus Banks, a career backup of negligible renown, is better suited to adding occasional offensive pop off the bench.

• Rookie Mario Chalmers is a promising defender who might be good someday, but today lacks experience and isn't ready -- the Sarah Palin of Heat options.

• Third-year guy Chris Quinn might be the safest option, the most acquiescent to needs, but fails in comparison to the other two if the fundamental question is:

Wouldn't you rather have the ball in Marbury's hands?

Marbury, 31, is a two-time All-Star who is said to be fully recovered from January surgery to remove bone spurs from his left ankle. He reportedly has gotten below 200 pounds and calls himself in the best shape of his career.

We might also assume a certain fire to prove his many critics and skeptics wrong.

His last outstanding season was 2004-05, when he averaged 21.7 points and 8.1 assists, with declining performance since in proportion to deteriorating relationships with his bosses, Larry Brown and Isiah Thomas.

Marbury has been ripe fodder for the hungry back pages of the New York tabloids, where everything is cartoon exaggeration. Not to airbrush the warts that are real, but one suspects if Marbury had been the same person doing the same things in Atlanta or Seattle, his national notoriety would be one-tenth of what it is.

TIME OF THE ESSENCE

He is worth the risk. Miami is assured only two more years of Wade before he can become a free agent. Beasley is new. Shawn Marion is still here. Haslem is among several valuable pieces outside the spotlight. Wade's questionable long-term future adds an imperative to be as good as possible now.

Add Marbury to this nucleus, and that's a lot of talent on the floor, a team that might make some noise in the playoffs this season and maybe step up to a serious challenger's role in 2009-10.

Hard to envision such a leap now, with questions at point guard instead of proof.

Oh, a quick aside to Marbury, in case this deal happens:

Stephon, we know you have preferred a certain uniform number your whole career, but that you would want to fit in and play nice. So once in Miami, to show you know your role, please do not ask for, demand or offer to buy the number you want.

Turns out the 3 already is spoken for here.

Some guy named Wade.

Miami Heat should sign Marbury if he's available

If Elton Brand does comeback from that injury (Achilles?), the Sixers will be very good indeed. The balance of power is slowly coming in the Eastern Conference's direction. Outside of the Lakers, and New Orleans ( my favorite in the West), none of those teams scare me. The Pistons would have beaten the Lakers in the finals also.

I agree. I don't get all the love for Houston either, perhaps it's Yao Ming coming back?. But for me, they're nothing more than a middle of the pack playoff team.

You're 1,000% correct about the Pistons beating the Lakers, I said that back in June. In fact, I think the Cavs would have beaten them also.

Self Proclaimed "Best Shooter in the World" Asked to Stay Home!

The Milwaukee Bucks announced that they feel it's best for all parties involved that Damon Jones and his $4.4 million expiring deal need not report to training camp.

The 6-foot-3 Jones was acquired by the Bucks from Cleveland on Aug. 13 in the three-team trade that sent Mo Williams to the Cavaliers and brought point guard Luke Ridnour to Milwaukee from Oklahoma City.

Jones will not join Bucks - Bucks Blog

Seattle probably. They are moving to a new area and will have to adjust to the new playing arena.