NBA 2015-16 Season

One thing that I've discovered,the L.A. Lakers have Roy Hibbert. Can he live up to the standards of the other great centers(Wilt Chamberlain,Kareem Abdul-Jabbar,Shaquille O'Neal,Pau Gasol) that the Lakers have had playing for them? One thing for sure,a successful L.A. Lakers,AND Boston Celtics,is good for the NBA.

For the Pistons though, that's a start we don't see often. Enjoying them not starting the season hopefully like last years 5-23 start and crappy starts before

I am positive that this is the start of a resurgence of the Pistons from doormat to playoff participant. Not yet a contender, since that takes time to develop, but I expect them to make a big leap from last year. As of this writing, they are 3-0 after toppling the Bulls and Hawks, and gritting out a game against an improved West team in the Jazz. That's progress.

Reactions: satjay
Ugh 0-3 for the Lakers already.

Considering who they picked in the draft over who was available, it surely put them two steps back in the rebuilding plan for sure. Okafor is tearing it up in Philly, while Russell is just struggling. Considering the Lakers already had a "guard for the future" in Jordan Clarkson, I think it was an easier choice to pair Okafor with Julius Randle and be formidable inside. It also doesn't help that supposed defensive anchor Hibbert isn't really anchoring much on defense.

I saw he Heat's big comeback win on Sunday over the Rockets. They were down 21 at the half and won by 20. Hassan Whiteside CAN BE a beast...25 points 15 rebs and 6 blocks. The ENTIRE season depends on him and his defensive play because he will need to clean up all of the defesive rotation mistakes.

The VERY BEST part of that Sunday was my son got a chance to play one of his league games at the AAA(I coach his 10-12 advance team) and he shot the game winner with 1 minute left... 46-45. WOW, what a feeling.

Reactions: Rey and BillD1984
Considering who they picked in the draft over who was available, it surely put them two steps back in the rebuilding plan for sure. Okafor is tearing it up in Philly, while Russell is just struggling. Considering the Lakers already had a "guard for the future" in Jordan Clarkson, I think it was an easier choice to pair Okafor with Julius Randle and be formidable inside. It also doesn't help that supposed defensive anchor Hibbert isn't really anchoring much on defense.
Yeah I know. Now that Jerry Buss is gone, the team is lost. His daughter just doesn't know how to run the team.

Miami Heat player is still dominating after a breakout season nobody saw coming, and it's going to put the Heat in an awkward position
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/miami-heat-player-still-dominating-200500572.html

Just my opinion,but I don't see Kevin Durant going anywhere as free agent other than the Washington Wizards. The Heat should just go ahead & pay Hassan Whiteside market value if he indeed is such an asset to them.

Miami Heat player is still dominating after a breakout season nobody saw coming, and it's going to put the Heat in an awkward position
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/miami-heat-player-still-dominating-200500572.html

Just my opinion,but I don't see Kevin Durant going anywhere as free agent other than the Washington Wizards. The Heat should just go ahead & pay Hassan Whiteside market value if he indeed is such an asset to them.

The Heat will sign Whiteside and Durrant will sign a 1 year contract extention with OKC asfter this season. Though he may stay on OKC, all Riley needs to do is given access in the meeting room. ANYONE that meets with him has a damn good chance to sign with him. EVERYONE is petrified of that.

http://hoopshabit.com/2015/07/22/nba-daryl-morey-surpassed-pat-riley-nbas-best-gm/

http://thesource.com/2015/02/25/op-ed-why-pat-riley-is-the-greatest-gm-of-all-time/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-godfather-keeps-winning-with-the-miami-heat

Reactions: Rey
Red Auerbach is the greatest GM in the history of Basketball and really it's not that close. And if you want to bring it this era I'm sure Popovich would also be in the discussion.

What happened last year when LeBron left? The godfathers team didn't even come close to competing for a playoff spot.

Red Auerbach is the greatest GM in the history of Basketball and really it's not that close. And if you want to bring it this era I'm sure Popovich would also be in the discussion.

What happened last year when LeBron left? The godfathers team didn't even come close to competing for a playoff spot.

No one said all time...at ANY POINT. Lebron was leaving whether the HEAT won last year or not. His intent was to NEVER stay in Miami. EVERYONE knew that. The Godfather's team had his two best players injured for half of the season. And with ALL that they were in a position to clinch the 8th spot in the last week of the season. Historically AND statically, Pop did more damage from '99 to '07(4 NBA Championships making the Finals 5 times) than '07-'14(1 NBA Championship making the Finals only twice).

And if I am not mistaken, R.C. Buford is the GM for the Spurs...

No one said all time...at ANY POINT. Lebron was leaving whether the HEAT won last year or not. His intent was to NEVER stay in Miami. EVERYONE knew that. The Godfather's team had his two best players injured for half of the season. And with ALL that they were in a position to clinch the 8th spot in the last week of the season. Historically AND statically, Pop did more damage from '99 to '07(4 NBA Championships making the Finals 5 times) than '07-'14(1 NBA Championship making the Finals only twice).

And if I am not mistaken, R.C. Buford is the GM for the Spurs...

No you didn't say it but the one op-ed you posted did. I'll also take issue with that article about the Lakers, Knicks and Heat being the 3 "glamour" franchises in the NBA. But that's a discussion for another time.

About Popovich, he's the president of Basketball operations. So he has final say on the roster and BuFord does the day to day work because I don't think you can do that and coach. So maybe we're splitting hairs.

To me Pat Riley is a good GM, just gets too much praise for signing LeBron. If the Cavs win a title this year is their GM (whoever the hell it is) going to be immortalized. No, because LeBron chose to go there. So without LeBron Pat Riley is basically Danny Ainge, 1 title and not much else.

Watch the Nets this year they're terrible, maybe the worst team in the league. The Celtics own their next 3 #1 picks. I don't think they'll(Celtics) be that good this year maybe 6-8th in a still terrible east but brighter days SHOULD be ahead.

No you didn't say it but the one op-ed you posted did. I'll also take issue with that article about the Lakers, Knicks and Heat being the 3 "glamour" franchises in the NBA. But that's a discussion for another time.

About Popovich, he's the president of Basketball operations. So he has final say on the roster and BuFord does the day to day work because I don't think you can do that and coach. So maybe we're splitting hairs.

To me Pat Riley is a good GM, just gets too much praise for signing LeBron. If the Cavs win a title this year is their GM (whoever the hell it is) going to be immortalized. No, because LeBron chose to go there. So without LeBron Pat Riley is basically Danny Ainge, 1 title and not much else.

Watch the Nets this year they're terrible, maybe the worst team in the league. The Celtics own their next 3 #1 picks. I don't think they'll(Celtics) be that good this year maybe 6-8th in a still terrible east but brighter days SHOULD be ahead.

My "one op-ed" insinuated nothing of the sort. IF I thought he was the greatest GM/POPP of all time...I would have EASILY stated it. You should know me long enough to know I do not insinuate ANYTHING. I Say it. PERIOD. The intent of the article is not to point out the "glamour 3", but the overall feeling throughout the league that IF Riley gets a chance to talk to a FA, he has a very good chance to sign him. He deserves praise for not just Lebron, but signing Wade and Bosh. Throw in the fact that the COB was changed on purposed to avoid it happening after signing them, that speaks volumes. Also, there were PLENTY of team that could have signed those three players...and none of them did. And of course, you are assuming what Riley would be without Lebron, who is to say that his other signings could have lead to an NBA title...not me and definately not you. So you are doing alot of assuming/speculating in that statement.

Red Aurbach had the HUGE advantage of zero free agency, could he have kept all of those players in today's days of huge FA dollars? I mean FA didn't really happen until 1988...

My "one op-ed" insinuated nothing of the sort. IF I thought he was the greatest GM/POPP of all time...I would have EASILY stated it. You should know me long enough to know I do not insinuate ANYTHING. I Say it. PERIOD. The intent of the article is not to point out the "glamour 3", but the overall feeling throughout the league that IF Riley gets a chance to talk to a FA, he has a very good chance to sign him. He deserves praise for not just Lebron, but signing Wade and Bosh. Throw in the fact that the COB was changed on purposed to avoid it happening after signing them, that speaks volumes. Also, there were PLENTY of team that could have signed those three players...and none of them did. And of course, you are assuming what Riley would be without Lebron, who is to say that his other signings could have lead to an NBA title...not me and definately not you. So you are doing alot of assuming/speculating in that statement.

Red Aurbach had the HUGE advantage of zero free agency, could he have kept all of those players in today's days of huge FA dollars? I mean FA didn't really happen until 1988...

What are you talking about? The 2nd article you posted was titled "Op-ed: Why Pat Riley is the greatest GM of all time" and that's exactly how it read.

So besides LeBron and his tag along Bosh, what great free agent has Riley signed?

Here are facts, they didn't make the playoffs last year without Lebron, in a very weak eastern conference.

Last edited:
What are you talking about? The 2nd article you posted was titled "Op-ed: Why Pat Riley is the greatest GM of all time" and that's exactly how it read.

So besides LeBron and his tag along Bosh, what great free agent has Riley signed?

Here are facts, they didn't make the playoffs last year without Lebron, in a very weak eastern conference.

That was not so much about him being the greatest, but more so about how he's one of the most feared GM/POPDs in the league. There isn't a SINGLE writer or NBA exec that denies that. Being a great or feared executive isn't JUST about FAs. It's a part of it. You need to draft, trades for players, trades to free cap space and make free agent picks up that fit YOUR TEAM dynamic. And what he does best, is that he has every single GM afraid of him talking to their FAs if they are available.

Here are the facts, he lost the BEST player in the world and one of the best 3 point shooters OF ALL TIME and he also lost his two best players to injury for alot of games in the season. There isn't an NBA team in the league...NONE...that would not feel those loses.

IF you do not see the above plus the fact that being a good GM does not ONLY consist of "what great free agent has he signed" or the signifigance of injuries to your best players...then maybe you need to expand your thought process as to what a true GM/POPD does.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)