NBA Lockout thread

I disagree that the European leagues would not want any NBA players. They know that there is a slim chance they will get the Kobes, Lebrons and Wades of the world because of the high risk value of injury and pissing off any good will that country may have with the NBA. The rest of the rank and file OF NAME making around $4-8 million dollar range will have places to play because those league and clubs would love to have SRO in all their games as well as the TV exposure and maybe...just maybe, show off their league and city to the NBA showing the league they 'could' possibly host an NBA team down the line.

But as you state, we will see.

Perhaps. Can't imagine European leagues signing too many NBAers. As I stated, some leagues have rules regarding the number of foreign players on each team, and you also have to think leagues won't want teams stacked with players who will bolt as soon as an NBA agreement is reached in January.

Sandra

SandraC said:
Perhaps. Can't imagine European leagues signing too many NBAers. As I stated, some leagues have rules regarding the number of foreign players on each team, and you also have to think leagues won't want teams stacked with players who will bolt as soon as an NBA agreement is reached in January.

Sandra

I see your point....but remember, it's about money and the western Europe leagues are not the only leagues with the TV deals and alot of money. The Asian and Russian professional leagues have very deep pockets and would more than love to show the world...and especially the NBA that they have the clout($$$) to run a league with NBA players.

Edit: I just read that Josh Powell signed with China. So this so-called 'ban on signing NBA' that all of us have read....it's all smoke and mirrors. ;-)

Last edited:
Hmmm....interesting....

...I am wondering if the league did this to avoid the players to go over seas and have a more controlled, closer to home environment...

Lockout League" to start Sept. 12 in Vegas

By HOOPSWORLD

Basketball News & NBA Rumors

Chauncey Billups, Zach Randolph and John Wall are among the more than 40 players who will participate in the "Lockout League" in Las Vegas starting later this month, the New York Times reported Sunday. According to the report, the league's official name is the Impact Basketball Competitive Training Series. It will be held at the Impact Basketball gymnasium located about two miles from the Las Vegas strip and will feature as many as eight teams, the report said. The league's organizer is long-time trainer Joe Abunassar, who puts players through offseason workouts at the Impact Basketball facility. According to the report, Abunassar has decided to invite more players to the gym and make the regular pickup games more formal. The report said the games will have 10-minute quarters but otherwise have NBA rules. Teams will have seven or eight players each but no coaches. Stats and standings will be kept, and Abunassar plans to stream the games on the internet. “This is an effort on our part to get these guys as ready for training camp as they can get, without going to training camp,” Abunassar told the newspaper. “That’s the allure of it.” The league's championship game will be Sept. 23. Abunassar told the Times he will run two-week leagues in each ensuing month that the lockout continues. Owners locked out players July 1, preventing them from using team facilities. Little progress has been made toward a new collective bargaining agreement, and there is less than a month until training camps are scheduled to open Oct. 1. The sides are scheduled to meet this week after a six-hour session last week. But if there is no movement toward an agreement, it is expected that the NBA will either postpone or cancel the start of training camps and exhibition games. According to the report, other players expected to participate are Houston's Kyle Lowry, Chuck Hayes, Chase Budinger and Courtney Lee, and Mo Williams and DeAndre Jordan of the Los Angeles Clippers.

"Lockout League" to start Sept. 12 in Vegas | HOOPSWORLD | Basketball News & NBA Rumors

I see your point....but remember, it's about money and the western Europe leagues are not the only leagues with the TV deals and alot of money. The Asian and Russian professional leagues have very deep pockets and would more than love to show the world...and especially the NBA that they have the clout($$$) to run a league with NBA players.

Edit: I just read that Josh Powell signed with China. So this so-called 'ban on signing NBA' that all of us have read....it's all smoke and mirrors. ;-)

Who is Josh Powell? Never heard of him.

...I am wondering if the league did this to avoid the players to go over seas and have a more controlled, closer to home environment...

Lockout League" to start Sept. 12 in Vegas

By HOOPSWORLD

Basketball News & NBA Rumors

Chauncey Billups, Zach Randolph and John Wall are among the more than 40 players who will participate in the "Lockout League" in Las Vegas starting later this month, the New York Times reported Sunday. According to the report, the league's official name is the Impact Basketball Competitive Training Series. It will be held at the Impact Basketball gymnasium located about two miles from the Las Vegas strip and will feature as many as eight teams, the report said. The league's organizer is long-time trainer Joe Abunassar, who puts players through offseason workouts at the Impact Basketball facility. According to the report, Abunassar has decided to invite more players to the gym and make the regular pickup games more formal. The report said the games will have 10-minute quarters but otherwise have NBA rules. Teams will have seven or eight players each but no coaches. Stats and standings will be kept, and Abunassar plans to stream the games on the internet. “This is an effort on our part to get these guys as ready for training camp as they can get, without going to training camp,” Abunassar told the newspaper. “That’s the allure of it.” The league's championship game will be Sept. 23. Abunassar told the Times he will run two-week leagues in each ensuing month that the lockout continues. Owners locked out players July 1, preventing them from using team facilities. Little progress has been made toward a new collective bargaining agreement, and there is less than a month until training camps are scheduled to open Oct. 1. The sides are scheduled to meet this week after a six-hour session last week. But if there is no movement toward an agreement, it is expected that the NBA will either postpone or cancel the start of training camps and exhibition games. According to the report, other players expected to participate are Houston's Kyle Lowry, Chuck Hayes, Chase Budinger and Courtney Lee, and Mo Williams and DeAndre Jordan of the Los Angeles Clippers.

"Lockout League" to start Sept. 12 in Vegas | HOOPSWORLD | Basketball News & NBA Rumors

Oh my goodness...good luck with that. :rolleyes:

Sandra

Who is Josh Powell? Never heard of him.

Forward Josh Powell signed a one-year contract to play with Liaoning of the Chinese Basketball Association. Powell appeared in 54 games with the Atlanta Hawks last season, averaging 4.2 points and 2.5 rebounds. He does not have an opt-out clause in his contract, so the 28-year-old Powell cannot return to the NBA when the lockout ends.

The name isn't the big deal here...the isue was that China has a very good professional league with deep pockets. Now they have a restriction on how many foreign plays they can sign, but recently, they made a big stink about they were not planning on signing any players from the the NBA, this signing proves otherwise.

What will be a domino effect? What do you think would happen?

Sandra

I think that if a uppder level player plays and see that they are get NBA type/caliber workouts in a countrolled evironment with NBA caliber physical therapy if need be with decent competition, I think it will be pushed as an alternative to going over seas ...especially for those that do not need the money per say.

I mean if I was an NBA player and didn't need the money and wanted to keep my game fresh...I would do it.

I think that if a uppder level player plays and see that they are get NBA type/caliber workouts in a countrolled evironment with NBA caliber physical therapy if need be with decent competition, I think it will be pushed as an alternative to going over seas ...especially for those that do not need the money per say.

I mean if I was an NBA player and didn't need the money and wanted to keep my game fresh...I would do it.

Meh. For the players' conditioning, perhaps. For the vast majority of the players who do need money, no way. The allure of Europe/Asia is money, not conditioning.

Sandra

SandraC said:
Meh. For the players' conditioning, perhaps. For the vast majority of the players who do need money, no way. The allure of Europe/Asia is money, not conditioning.

Sandra

Lol...that I said initially about those other professional leagues too. I think the upper crust of the playets do not need money...they want conditioning...this might work for them. The guys that need money will to those European leagues.

$2 million for a quick season is better than nothing.

Lol...that I said initially about those other professional leagues too.

What other professional leagues?

I think the upper crust of the playets do not need money...they want conditioning...this might work for them. The guys that need money will to those European leagues.

$2 million for a quick season is better than nothing.

Well, as Rex Ryan says, 'We gonna find out'.

Chances are small that the NBA season will start on time, so we gonna find out how many players flock overseas...and how many players are wanted overseas.

Your theory will most likely get a good test very soon. ;)

Sandra

SandraC said:
What other professional leagues?

Well, as Rex Ryan says, 'We gonna find out'.

Chances are small that the NBA season will start on time, so we gonna find out how many players flock overseas...and how many players are wanted overseas.

Your theory will most likely get a good test very soon. ;)

Sandra

the summer league one? Yeah, we will see. I mean once Durrant played one game in the Rucker Park tournament, multiple NBA players jumped in on it.

the summer league one? Yeah, we will see. I mean once Durrant played one game in the Rucker Park tournament, multiple NBA players jumped in on it.

I'm saying we're going to find out how many NBA players will want to go overseas like you said...and how many will be wanted overseas.

We're going to be able to test your theory pretty soon, when NBA camps do not open and games start getting cancelled. We'll see how many players go overseas. ;)

We gonna find out.

Sandra

You have to wonder if the crash in Russia gets into the thoughts of any athlete thinking about playing outside the continent. Playing overseas means lots of plane flights in a foreign country.

Sandra

SandraC said:
You have to wonder if the crash in Russia gets into the thoughts of any athlete thinking about playing outside the continent. Playing overseas means lots of plane flights in a foreign country.

Sandra

I am sure all those lawyers are looking into that....as well as the stability of those countries with professional leagues in regards to there economic stability.

I am sure all those lawyers are looking into that....as well as the stability of those countries with professional leagues in regards to there economic stability.

Exactly...not sure what lawyers you're referring to, I'm talking about the actual players. Has to at the very least plant a seed of doubt.

Sandra

Exactly...not sure what lawyers you're referring to, I'm talking about the actual players. Has to at the very least plant a seed of doubt.

Sandra

Nah, they aren't that frequent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)