NBA Lockout thread

Lawyers as in the players agents.

Not sure what agents can investigate regarding plane crashes.

Bottom line is, we will see starting next month how many players actually go overseas. I don't see it having an effect on the negotiations at all.

Sandra

Crossposting this from the NFL thread since more relevant conversation could probably be had here... but interesting contrast between the NFL and NBA TV rights:

From an awesome sports law guy I follow on Twitter: Twitter

The Hornets got $41.2M in total broadcast revenue (nat'l + local tv + radio) in 2009. The Saints will get $59.3M per yr from new MNF deal

Also from him: Some cross-league perspective. NFL will get $1.9B per year for 1 gm per week. NBA gets $930M per year for its entire national tv deal.

Also from him: Some cross-league perspective. NFL will get $1.9B per year for 1 gm per week. NBA gets $930M per year for its entire national tv deal.

WOW.... that certainly puts things in perspective!!! :eek:

Thanks for posting this, Stevo.

meStevo said:
Crossposting this from the NFL thread since more relevant conversation could probably be had here... but interesting contrast between the NFL and NBA TV rights:

From an awesome sports law guy I follow on Twitter: Twitter

The Hornets got $41.2M in total broadcast revenue (nat'l + local tv + radio) in 2009. The Saints will get $59.3M per yr from new MNF deal

Interesting...but I still see this being settled sooner than people think.

When do see it being settled?

In time to save the opening of the season?

Sandra

I think there was too much positive momentum for the owners just sit there and say let's chuck half the season.... They will miss the entire training camp but start the season by no later than probably mid November.

I think there was too much positive momentum for the owners just sit there and say let's chuck half the season.... They will miss the entire training camp but start the season by no later than probably mid November.

I think it lasts until January.

Wow, that means they only miss two weeks of the regular season. I don't see it, but I hope you're right.

What positive momentum are you referring to?

Sandra

Wow, that means they only miss two weeks of the regular season. I don't see it, but I hope you're right.

What positive momentum are you referring to?

Sandra

As stated before, there was more interest in the NBA last season than ever before. Ratings across the board from attendance to tv viewership to hits on every single NBA website was up. There was some serious momentum going into next year.

As stated before, there was more interest in the NBA last season than ever before. Ratings across the board from attendance to tv viewership to hits on every single NBA website was up. There was some serious momentum going into next year.

We shall see. As mstevo pointed out, momentum or no momentum the NFL and NBA are in two different universes regarding revenue they are dividing up.

I think the Christmas Day games may be in jeopardy again.

Sandra

SandraC said:
We shall see. As mstevo pointed out, momentum or no momentum the NFL and NBA are in two different universes regarding revenue they are dividing up.

I think the Christmas Day games may be in jeopardy again.

Sandra

The NBA and NFL have nothing to do with each other other than the fact that there is/was a work stoppage at just about the same. No one has compared them and to put the stoppages together is ....well crazy, to say it nicely.

The NBA and NFL have nothing to do with each other other than the fact that there is/was a work stoppage at just about the same. No one has compared them and to put the stoppages together is ....well crazy, to say it nicely.

Except that they are both about the same thing and happening in the same year, I 100% agree, "to say it nicely".

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Last edited:
There is no reason you cannot compare the two. The NFL came back quickly because of the amount of money on the table. The NBA may not come back for a while because the amount of money in the table pales in comparison to the NFL.

Sandra

SandraC said:
There is no reason you cannot compare the two. The NFL came back quickly because of the amount of money on the table. The NBA may not come back for a while because the amount of money in the table pales in comparison to the NFL.

Sandra

The only comparisons is that it happened in the same year and the owners locked out the players. After that, the comparison stops.

The only comparisons is that it happened in the same year and the owners locked out the players. After that, the comparison stops.

Quick, which lockout am I talking about... owners want players to take a pay cut, owners are saying they need a bigger piece of the pie and have to rework revenue sharing. Owners have locked the players out. GO!

The only comparisons is that it happened in the same year and the owners locked out the players.

Exactly. And they league and players union have to negotiate a settlement before the lockout ends.

If you want to decide there are no similarities at all, that's your opinion. Some of us will continue to compare.

Sandra

Quick, which lockout am I talking about... owners want players to take a pay cut, owners are saying they need a bigger piece of the pie and have to rework revenue sharing. Owners have locked the players out. GO!

Good point, but it doesn't even matter. It's his opinion that he doesn't want to compare them. We do want to compare them. That's what makes America great...we all get to have our own opinions! ;)

Sandra

OK... you are right. The excuse for every single impasse between employer and employee in more than likely the history of labor can be used.

I agree.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)