NBA Lockout thread

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
OK, one down and one to go! The only thing is, I think this one is going to take a lot longer to settle than the NFL. The rhetoric on both sides is not good, and the NBA owners do not have a reason to want pre-season games played like NFL owners do.

Getting the feeling this may be a really long and drawn out affair, quite possibly spreading into calendar year 2012.

Well, at least we have football...and we'll have hockey.

Sandra

OK, one down and one to go! The only thing is, I think this one is going to take a lot longer to settle than the NFL. The rhetoric on both sides is not good, and the NBA owners do not have a reason to want pre-season games played like NFL owners do.

Getting the feeling this may be a really long and drawn out affair, quite possibly spreading into calendar year 2012.

Well, at least we have football...and we'll have hockey.

Sandra

...and don't forget NCAA basketball. For as much as I am a HEAT fan, this one, like you said won't be settle till next year.

If it took the NFL 4 months to settle, where ZERO teams lose money. According to the NBA owners 22 of the 30 lose money, the NBAPA says it is more like 15. So even in the best case scenario half the teams lose money. I think this might not end until 2012, the NBA is the league that has the least parody out of the big 4. I wish there was a way to fix this, but with only 12 players on a roster, I'm not sure there is an easy fix to this. Maybe a hard cap eased in? Franchise tag? I would also like to see the age minimum upped to 20 years. I am a Celtics fan and they have the money to compete, I can't imagine rooting for a team like the Bucks who have 0% chance every year to compete for a title.

To me, the NBA is just not as exciting as it used to be. My guess is because there is no longer that one player that everybody loves. In the 90s, we had Michael Jordan. Then we had Shaq and Kobe. Followed by Yao Ming. Now we have LeBron, but not everybody likes him anymore since he went to Miami and some believe that he's overrated since he never went to college. I used to be a Pistons fan, but since they haven't done well in the last 3 years, I haven't watched them much now. I hope that after if/when the lockout ends, the NBA gets better, but it seems for the last few years, it's just gotten a little boring.

Not a very big NBA fan even though I root for the Lakers. I hardly watch any regular season due to half the teams making the playoffs.

The NHL lost an entire season in 2004-05, and the league came out leaner and stronger because of it. Not out of the question here.

Sandra

No one pays much attention to these things until games are missed. Right now when I hear people talk about it they either have it confused with the NFL Situation and think it is resolved or they think it is a strike. But when they miss a game they will care. they will probably still think it is a strike but they will be upset that there are no games.

The NBA isn't as popular anymore so nobody is going to care as much. I haven't heard any reporters talk about it lately. Heck, during the NFL lockout, you heard someone reporting about it at least a few times a week.

The NBA isn't as popular anymore so nobody is going to care as much. I haven't heard any reporters talk about it lately. Heck, during the NFL lockout, you heard someone reporting about it at least a few times a week.

Not as popular as compared to when? ALL their numbers were up, WAY up over the year before....

The Eastern Conference finals just enjoyed ratings and viewership records for cable TV on TNT, according to Nielsen.com. Meanwhile, the ratings for this year's playoffs on ESPN were up 8 percent over last season, and were the most-viewed in ESPN history. Not only was regular-season viewership of NBA games up 45 percent over the previous season, it was up 30 percent over 1995-96, when folks were obsessed over Michael Jordan leading the Chicago Bulls to a 72-win season.

And television isn't the only place where increased interest in the NBA is reflected. NBA.com reports that page views are up 40 percent over last season, video streams are up 130 percent and NBA mobile downloads are up 75 percent. Traffic to NBA content on ESPN.com has increased dramatically as well, with some categories approaching triple-digit increases. If it's too soon to say the NBA is in the middle of a full-fledged renaissance, at the very least the league has seen a resurgence, probably even an explosion.

LeBron James and the Miami Heat have given the NBA an extraordinary boost in interest this season and during the playoffs. - ESPN

SandraC said:
But the MLS has almost as much attendance as the NBA...is poised to overtake the NBA...and the MLS is failing LOL.

Sandra

No one is comparing leagues. We are comparing the previous year to the on just completed.

Not the MLS fault they will over take your beloved NHL.

Not sure how to gauge the importance of this lockout, but I have Sirius Satellite and flip between each major sports talk station all day long. I can't remember the last time I heard a peep about this. At least when the NFL was in a lockout, you'd hear something on a daily basis. I truly believe, the majority of sports fans just don't care. Good riddance NBA!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts