NBC coming to Lafaytte, LA July 1st

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
NEXSTAR BROADCASTING'S KLAF-TV TO BECOME FIRST NBC NETWORK AFFILIATE SERVING LAFAYETTE
KLAF-TV Makes Switch to NBC Affiliation on July 1, 2015
http://www.cajunfirst.com/news/loca...first-nbc-network-affiliate-serving-lafayette

Nexstar Broadcasting Group, Inc. announced today that KLAF-TV in Lafayette, Louisiana will become the first ever NBC affiliated station in the market (DMA 124) effective July 1, 2015. In addition to NBC’s popular primetime and late-night lineup as well as high-quality sports and entertainment offerings, Nexstar plans to bring Lafayette area viewers new locally-produced news programming in early 2016. The new NBC affiliation and planned local news launch reflects Nexstar’s organization-wide commitment to broadcasting excellence for local viewers and advertisers.

After serving as a MyNetwork affiliate since 2006, KLAF-TV will switch over to an NBC affiliation on July 1, 2015, and will broadcast over the air on channel 46 and 15.2. KLAF-TV will also be available on all multichannel video programming distributors in the market offering NBC programming locally. MyNetwork programming previously carried by KLAF-TV will be broadcast on KADN-TV 15.3 beginning July 1, 2015.

I want to give NBC some credit because you don't see any of the other major networks going into the smaller markets and doing affiliation deals these days. Even with COZI TV, they seem to have a pretty aggressive strategy there too, where they have gotten it on satellite and telco TV even as other subchannels haven't.

I think when the DTV transition happened back in 09 that is when alot of the multiple network on one station happened.

Gees thats funny because Communications Corporation of America (former owner of KADN and KLAF) were the exact same. Maybe there is some relation between the two Media Groups.....thanks, at least we are getting a NBC again.

some companies dont like subchannels for whatever reason
The FOX station where I use to live (Duluth, MN) is owned by Red River Broadcasting out of Fargo. They own the FOX affiliates in Eastern ND and the NBC in Sioux Falls. The only station with a subchannel is Sioux Falls NBC. FOX has no subchannels (and they dont even use the full bandwidth)

(side note...they'd rather stick money in the radio stations they constantly buy up in Northern MN)

NEXSTAR BROADCASTING'S KLAF-TV TO BECOME FIRST NBC NETWORK AFFILIATE SERVING LAFAYETTE
KLAF-TV Makes Switch to NBC Affiliation on July 1, 2015
http://www.cajunfirst.com/news/loca...first-nbc-network-affiliate-serving-lafayette

Nexstar Broadcasting Group, Inc. announced today that KLAF-TV in Lafayette, Louisiana will become the first ever NBC affiliated station in the market (DMA 124) effective July 1, 2015.
Not the first EVER.

"This will become the area’s first in-house NBC affiliate in the market, since KLNI 15 signed-off in 1975. And that station is now KLAF 46’s sister station, KADN 15, the FOX station."

https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2015/05/07/klaf-changes-to-nbc-adds-local-news-2016/

Dish made the change yesterday...carrying KLAF to Lafayette DMA customers. They removed the co-owned Baton Rouge NBC
Dish and Directv are allowed to carry a neighboring station if there is no affiliate in that market. When KLAF went to NBC Dish HAS to drop a neighboring affiliate

Dish made the change yesterday...carrying KLAF to Lafayette DMA customers. They removed the co-owned Baton Rouge NBC
Dish and Directv are allowed to carry a neighboring station if there is no affiliate in that market. When KLAF went to NBC Dish HAS to drop a neighboring affiliate
huh, that is'nt the only thing dropping.....WVLA, KPLC, KPLC DT3, were dropped in a matter of 12 days. They dropped the bounce because it was a subchannel of KPLC. Alot of people are upset down here. Oh well you get what you get from Nexstupid....Then another thing I hear the other channels are getting bashed too. For example KATC told one viewer that they were'nt adding anything because they upgraded CW to 720. Their response was you still do not have nothing. your station aint worth the s---. AS for KLFY they got slammed too. I had asked them when they heard anything about replacement for livewell. A week later i get a fb message so i go to klfy where i posted and someone said, why you cant answer his damn question, yall put this b.s. drama stuff on here. That's not all Delta got slammed hard for the H&I replacement of Antenna. Besides me there is over 100 that have figured this antenna bull and they are wanting everything the big cities have. But the stations dont have the power or well in the case of Nexzero they dont like to do it. our dma market looks like they're going to riot. i get alot of praise bothering the stations heck i got an email from media general about how crazy people in the former livewell markets are. I emailed back they know that there was an announcement back in January that LWN was going off the air between april and may but you started negotiations when it went off the air. Like I was gonna feel sorry for Media. I am loving this so much.

Nextar doesnt like to add subchannels. Known fact
oh that reminds me KADN was asked if they were going to add BUZZR by someone else. They said no, 15.1, 15.2, 15.3 and 46.1 thats all.
I emailed KADN about the coverage (KLAF-LD 46.1) may how westward from the Tower in Scott its not a circumference like most of other NORMAL stations. Look on TVFool it shows. I live right where it goes into the weaker color. They emailed back that they can work on getting the signal west a little better.

huh, that is'nt the only thing dropping.....WVLA, KPLC, KPLC DT3, were dropped in a matter of 12 days. They dropped the bounce because it was a subchannel of KPLC. Alot of people are upset down here. Oh well you get what you get from Nexstupid....

Well its real simple.....Nexstar launched a NBC in the market...therefore the NBC station gets exclusivity on cable ESPECIALLY right in town.
When you drop a out of market station, any subchannel carried gets dropped too.

Reactions: localclassictvfan
Well its real simple.....Nexstar launched a NBC in the market...therefore the NBC station gets exclusivity on cable ESPECIALLY right in town.
When you drop a out of market station, any subchannel carried gets dropped too.
Yeah i missed the bounce channel. If I turn my antenna boom west i have a problem getting the 22 amd 32 xmitter. KPLC is launching grit in January

you could run 2 separate antennas. One for VHF and one for UHF

Your local market has only one VHF station and thats channel 10. All the rest broadcast on UHF
KPLC is on RF7 so a VHF aimed at it would help with that (and probably still get 10 fine) while the UHF can be aimed elsewhere

Right now I have ghetto rigged a separate VHF and UHF setup
VHF aimed NW for KCCW RF12 (CBS)...actually its a VHF/UHF antenna but only the VHF is being used
UHF 8 bay on rotor for everything else :)

They are combined with a joiner and then amplified

IMG_20150721_200236_472.jpg

:oops::coco
you could run 2 separate antennas. One for VHF and one for UHF

Your local market has only one VHF station and thats channel 10. All the rest broadcast on UHF
KPLC is on RF7 so a VHF aimed at it would help with that (and probably still get 10 fine) while the UHF can be aimed elsewhere

Right now I have ghetto rigged a separate VHF and UHF setup
VHF aimed NW for KCCW RF12 (CBS)...actually its a VHF/UHF antenna but only the VHF is being used
UHF 8 bay on rotor for everything else :)

They are combined with a joiner and then amplified

View attachment 108582
i couldnt see your seperator but i see it behind the gold mast between the pre am and the vhf antenna. I have 3 stations that are vhf being WAFB, KLFY, and KPLC. The rest of them are between 14 and 50. This 75 mile plus range UHF antenna I should catch the higher power ones good. However I should'nt complain about getting Cozi and Grit when 11 channels feed off 3 transmitters 5 miles from where I live and 6 feed off the other one 16 miles east. I have my vhf antenna turned to 87 degrees and I get WBRZ, KATC, KADN, KLPB, KXKW, KDCG, KLWB, KATN, WVLA, and WGMB Good. The only one I get a 5 bar signal is the MeTV/H&I station KLWB. KATC 3 and KLFY 10 is in the same field right next to each other and that covers ABC/CW, CBS/Cozi (future), and LPB/PBS2/Create. About 8 miles to the Northeast is our beloved Triopoly from Nexstar KADN/KLAF/MNTV Acadiana. The transmitter off wilderness trail in Carencro feeds KDCG-This/Heroes and Icons, KXKW-This/Antenna, and KLWB-MeTV/Heroes and Icons/Future Grit/Audio from 105.9 and KLFT. For a mid size market our towers are pretty high up. KATC and KLFY are close to 1750, KXKW is 1600 and KADN is around 1550 feet high. I must say its better than alot of markets. On a final note what is the front and back part of the vhf and does it matter what direction it's pointed....

i couldnt see your seperator but i see it behind the gold mast between the pre am and the vhf antenna.
sorry I have more pics but can't access them right now

I have 3 stations that are vhf being WAFB, KLFY, and KPLC.
so looking at them you have one local, one to the east and one to the west

This 75 mile plus range UHF antenna I should catch the higher power ones good.
note mileage is based on a lot of things...terrain is one of them. Obstructions is another. I've seen smaller antennas beat "larger" ones

On a final note what is the front and back part of the vhf and does it matter what direction it's pointed....
on my antenna above its facing NW. If you have a combo unit the "U" portion (yagi) faces the stations. If its a VHF only antenna then it varies on actual antenna. But usually the "shorter" end (shortest side from the connector) is the back end. But again its all based on antenna

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts