NBC coming to Lafaytte, LA July 1st

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have the shorter end facing east toward Delta Media and Baton Rouge stations. Most of the Baton Rouge amd Lafayette real channel are from 13 to 55. When i get the new one i will put the shorter end facing the 283° azimuth (KPLC) 10 shouldnt be a problem to pickup. The UHF will face definitely between 73° and 107° which would point in between the KXKW and KLAF points. All of Baton Rouge is in between those. We'll see come the first week of August

Well lets just say since i had an antenna whether it was Carencro or here i had trouble catching 9. 7 Comes in descent eventhough the boom end is facing east. If the 8 bay catches the ones i mostly get niw then kplc will come in alot better pointing the short end west.

sorry I have more pics but can't access them right now
couple more pics. If you blow them up you can see the coupler. Like I say this setup is just ghetto rigged right now
IMG_20150721_144022_189[1].jpg IMG_20150721_200241_866[1].jpg

couple more pics. If you blow them up you can see the coupler. Like I say this setup is just ghetto rigged right now
View attachment 108697 View attachment 108699
The vhf antenna, what is the distance it can get the locals. Looks like a nice lightweight one that you can easily put up. That jetliner I have i am afraid its too heavy and will eventually break off or something...

Speaking of NBC, I get the KLAF channel good with the 8 bay. However i don't know whether to call it Acadiana's KLAF NBC or Fox 46 Acadiana because since yesterday I noticed that FOX 15.1 and KLAF 46.1 are showing the identical fox programming. I facebooked both KLAF and KADN and asked what was going on.

The vhf antenna, what is the distance it can get the locals. Looks like a nice lightweight one that you can easily put up. That jetliner I have i am afraid its too heavy and will eventually break off or something...
That antenna is actually a combo unit. Antennacraft HBU22. I had the UHF elements folded down as I was just using it for VHF. I have replaced that with a Y5 7-13 which is a VHF only antenna. Antennacraft made them but they were part of Radio Shack. So when Rat Shack went belly up Antennacraft did too. Only way to find them is ebay, craigslist or possibly a Radio Shack that is still open. The VHF only ones are gone. I saw a HBU22 at a franchise store a couple weeks ago

Specs say "up to 50 miles"...but your mileage may vary

That antenna is actually a combo unit. Antennacraft HBU22. I had the UHF elements folded down as I was just using it for VHF. I have replaced that with a Y5 7-13 which is a VHF only antenna. Antennacraft made them but they were part of Radio Shack. So when Rat Shack went belly up Antennacraft did too. Only way to find them is ebay, craigslist or possibly a Radio Shack that is still open. The VHF only ones are gone. I saw a HBU22 at a franchise store a couple weeks ago

Specs say "up to 50 miles"...but your mileage may vary
Thanks I'll be looking into buying it later

Looking at the specs the weight is minimal between them. Your existing one says 6 pounds and the HBU22 is about 4 1/2 pounds.
The bigger the antenna....the more it will weigh ;)

As long as its secure properly you should be fine. If you can fold down the yagi (the "Y" portion of the antenna (like I had done in the HBU22) that would help.

Looking at the specs the weight is minimal between them. Your existing one says 6 pounds and the HBU22 is about 4 1/2 pounds.
The bigger the antenna....the more it will weigh ;)

As long as its secure properly you should be fine. If you can fold down the yagi (the "Y" portion of the antenna (like I had done in the HBU22) that would help.
Yagi must be what i call the wings. Yeah i can do that for now

I called Solid Signal and the lady said they were out of the combiner with the vhf and uhf on it. They been out for a month. The one they sent she said its just as good. Well I definitely take your word over her. After about 3 times of her saying the one they sent is just as good she finally took my email address to let me know when they get more. So I'll have to wait.

I called Solid Signal and the lady said they were out of the combiner with the vhf and uhf on it. They been out for a month.
hmmmm odd
The SS site shows "Availability: Usually Ships Same Day" on the site.

Did you try to bypass the combiner to see if there is better reception?

you could even try a splitter in reverse to see if that works.
The combiner I posted is a unique one as it blocks specific frequencies. One drawback of a splitter in reverse is you can get some interference if the antennas arent aimed same direction. Thats why I use the UVSJ combiner (the one I've linked to). It forces one antenna to only get the VHF frequencies through and the other to get UHF through and has very low signal loss (.5 db) which helps when trying to get distant stations. Any splitter/combiner will have signal loss which the higher the number (a splitter is 3.5) the less chance to get a distant station.

hmmmm odd
The SS site shows "Availability: Usually Ships Same Day" on the site.

Did you try to bypass the combiner to see if there is better reception?
Yes i did all that Yesterday in the 100 plus degree weather. When i put the line straight into the 8 bay i got most the same channels good. Oh the preamp will not ship till the 28th. I am waiting for the weather to cool off before i go back on it

Yes i did all that Yesterday in the 100 plus degree weather.
oh yeah it has been rather warm down there (from what I have seen on the news)

When i put the line straight into the 8 bay i got most the same channels good. Oh the preamp will not ship till the 28th. I am waiting for the weather to cool off before i go back on it
Sounds like a winner

Getting back to launching new affiliates like Nexstar did with KLAF, I am kinda surprised that no ABC, CBS, and a MNTV channel have'nt launched in Lake Charles yet. With a REGIONAL population of a lil over 300000, the market could afford at least 1. I know the KBMT/KBTV/KFDM channels are 46.1 miles and KLFY/KATC are 56 miles (that is just using the zip code only on tvfool) from Lake Charles that maybe a reason why there is no abc/cbs/mntv. I know Raycom would'nt launch a cbs or abc being it owns KPLC. It just would be a nice convenience to the people there.

Getting back to launching new affiliates like Nexstar did with KLAF, I am kinda surprised that no ABC, CBS, and a MNTV channel have'nt launched in Lake Charles yet. With a REGIONAL population of a lil over 300000, the market could afford at least 1.
MNTV is just 2 hours a programming M-F. So really those affiliates are just glorified Independent stations. In some markets My Network is shown delayed after FOX programming or is wedged in on a actual "diginet" (as you call it) which makes some folks mad when Prime Time on say MeTv or AntennaTV is instead My Network.
Looking at the FCC site, DTV America has a CP (construction permit) for a channel 19 in Lake Charles which I assume if built will have the My affiliate (DTV America goes with My if there is not one there yet) and probably a "diginet" like AntennaTV almost full time too. (AntennaTV 22 hours a day, My during Prime time). They use DrTv or SonLife as a subchannel.

As for the other 2 networks, there is no stations available right now. I don't see any construction permits for legit companies on the FCC site (when I say legitimate I mean companies that might actually do something with that permit) so its hard to add affiliates when the existing stations in the market are either full (KPLC), PBS or religious

I know the KBMT/KBTV/KFDM channels are 46.1 miles and KLFY/KATC are 56 miles (that is just using the zip code only on tvfool) from Lake Charles that maybe a reason why there is no abc/cbs/mntv.
partially. Mileage doesnt mean much. Omaha and Lincoln Nebraska are 45 miles apart and are 2 separate markets (and have full sets of Nets there). That area is (IMO) one of the better ones for antenna folks as Lincoln is a VHF market (except for Fox) and Omaha is a UHF market. There is a company in Lincoln that sells a 2 antenna setup to get both markets.

Anywho back to the question I assume it goes back to the analog days when ABC & CBS in Lafayette were on VHF it was easy to pick up in Lake Charles. Running a tvfool for downtown Lake Charles the ABC can be had rather easily (1 million watts and a 1700 foot tower helps) and CBS isnt too shabby either (even though its on VHF). I guess folks there who want to use an antenna know they probably need an outdoor antenna for the full set of nets. But alot of it has to do with just no available stations

I know Raycom would'nt launch a cbs or abc being it owns KPLC.
Why not? Raycom added NBC subchannel to its ABC station in Jonesboro, AR (KAIT)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)