NCAA 2009-2010 The Bowls

I submit any team west of the Mississippi. The Big8 didn't get respect until they became the Big12. WAC still has no respect. The Pac10 continues to do well in bowls. The 3 strongest states for High school ball are Florida, Texas and California. To win 10 or 11 games in a year is one thing, to do that on an outdoor BLUE field in a northern clime is astonishing. BCS kept their dignity in tact by having TCU and Boise State play each other. It would be demeaning to have them play and beat one of those Eastern writer approved Eastern schools.:D
I agree with almost everything you say. But I don't think its an Eastern thing. Geography has nothing to do with it. Money and power at the time the BCS was established tried to set the already fading dominance of a few conferences in stone. As time goes on the BCS will become more and more laughable, and eventually it will have to be replaced. The sooner the better as far as I am concerned.

It reminds me of the world of French wines. In the 1800's the powers that ran the wine world set up a classification system (Grand Cru, second cru, third cru, etc.). The classifications made sense at the time, but they have almost never been changed. Today, many so-called Grand Cru estates are able to stay in business only through the marketing power of their classification. They are producing garbage. Meanwhile some of the also-rans of the 1800's are now outstanding wine producers, but they can't command the prices of the Grand Cru estates. Football conferences vary in quality with time. But the BCS is stuck in the 1990's or earlier.

I agree with almost everything you say. But I don't think its an Eastern thing. Geography has nothing to do with it. Money and power at the time the BCS was established tried to set the already fading dominance of a few conferences in stone. As time goes on the BCS will become more and more laughable, and eventually it will have to be replaced. The sooner the better as far as I am concerned.

It reminds me of the world of French wines. In the 1800's the powers that ran the wine world set up a classification system (Grand Cru, second cru, third cru, etc.). The classifications made sense at the time, but they have almost never been changed. Today, many so-called Grand Cru estates are able to stay in business only through the marketing power of their classification. They are producing garbage. Meanwhile some of the also-rans of the 1800's are now outstanding wine producers, but they can't command the prices of the Grand Cru estates. Football conferences vary in quality with time. But the BCS is stuck in the 1990's or earlier.

Really? I think its pretty clear that the SEC, Big12, Big10, and PAC10 have dominated the ACC, WAC, CUSA, Big East, etc etc this year. Last year, the year before etc..

Interesting Games and Blowouts

There are a lot of interesting games in this year's bowl lineup, in spite of the existence of the BCS. Some games I am anxious to watch and rate as toss ups are:

Arizona vs Nebraska (slight edge to Arizona)
Alabama vs Texas
Florida vs Cincinnati (slight edge to Florida)
Utah vs Cal (slight edge to Cal)
Stanford vs Oklahoma
USC vs Boston College
BYU vs Oregon State

Games I expect to be blowouts (you can laugh at me when this is all over if I am wrong):

Oregon slaughters Ohio State
Boise State wipes out TCU

If I am right about those last two, remember that the only team Oregon lost to all year is Boise State.

Really? I think its pretty clear that the SEC, Big12, Big10, and PAC10 have dominated the ACC, WAC, CUSA, Big East, etc etc this year. Last year, the year before etc..
You too seem to be stuck in stone. Those conferences did dominate for many years. And they all still have some very good teams. But times are changing and the old monopolies are crumbling. Today, there are a number of very strong teams which are not in any of those conferences and there will be more in the future. In the past, the only reliably powerful teams not in any of those conferences were Penn State (which has since joined up with the big boys) and Notre Dame. I don't think the present system can survive the next five or ten years, unless a lot of schools switch conferences.

You too seem to be stuck in stone. Those conferences did dominate for many years. And they all still have some very good teams. But times are changing and the old monopolies are crumbling. Today, there are a number of very strong teams which are not in any of those conferences and there will be more in the future. In the past, the only reliably powerful teams not in any of those conferences were Penn State (which has since joined up with the big boys) and Notre Dame. I don't think the present system can survive the next five or ten years, unless a lot of schools switch conferences.

Look at the bowl and OOC records the last ten years.. The "Big Boys" Still dominate handily.. Every now some team will come up strong, but we are talking about year in and year out, and more then one team per conference.. And facts are the "big boys" constantly destroy the little guys. The records speak for themselves.

Better than the NFL? Not at all.:)

Better than last season's version of the Conference? Maybe/maybe not?

Will Alabama cakewalk in the BCSCG? Probably not, Texas is not Ohio State in terms of athletic ability to match up with quickness/footspeed. Brown probably fares better than Tressel in this type of game also.

Ummm, If I recall correctly, Ohio State was leading this game last year and gave up a very late TD otherwise Texas would not have won ...
Ohio State was every bit as good as Texas last year.

Athletic ability, quickness and footspeed, yup, they really blew out the mud riddled Buckeyes :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Better than the NFL? Not at all.:)

LSU overrated? Not al all. They would steamroll to a Confernce title in the ACC, Big East and possibly the Big Ten.

Would hang right with Texas in the Big 12 and be a top half team in the PAC 10.

IF they had a QB, but they don't, LSU is slightly above avg this year.

Look at the bowl and OOC records the last ten years.. The "Big Boys" Still dominate handily.. Every now some team will come up strong, but we are talking about year in and year out, and more then one team per conference.. And facts are the "big boys" constantly destroy the little guys. The records speak for themselves.

yep - someone was saying that the PAC10 was great in bowls, too.

Hmmm, let's see - where are most bowl games played?

Oh, right, smack dab in SEC and PAC10 country. Go figure. :rolleyes:

yep - someone was saying that the PAC10 was great in bowls, too.

Hmmm, let's see - where are most bowl games played?

Oh, right, smack dab in SEC and PAC10 country. Go figure. :rolleyes:

That's such a cop out and I for one am tired of hearing it. Good teams win anywhere, plain and simple.

That's such a cop out and I for one am tired of hearing it. Good teams win anywhere, plain and simple.
Yep, Penn St. doesn't have problems winning in the south, and Michigan sure didn't have problems beating Florida in Orlando, and Utah definitely didn't have issues in giving Alabama an ass whipping last year in New Orleans.

... Alabama and Florida were the only really good teams in the SEC this year. LSU is highly overrated, and everyone else was just average.

Two of those average teams beat both of the ACC championship game contenders.
I can't tell you how many times LSU has had a "highly overrated" team, have a disappointing season (or a horrible one like last year), then defeat a "highly overrated" current ACC team during bowl season (actually I can - see below). Yet year in and year out Georgia Tech, Viginia Tech, Clemson (for some odd reason), etc. will be ranked high in preseason polls based on victories over each other. In the end, where are their elite teams ranked in the polls compared to the elite of the SEC, Big12, Big10, Pac10, etc.? You know where.

Saying the SEC is overrated while touting the ACC - that's laughable. :D

1959 Sugar Bowl, LSU over Clemson 7-0
1968 Peach Bowl, LSU over Floridat St. 31-27
1979 Tangerine Bowl, LSU over Wake Forest 34-10
1996 Peach Bowl, LSU over Clemson 10-7
2000 Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl, LSU over Georgia Tech 28-14
2005 Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl, LSU over Miami 40-3
2008 Chick-fil-A Bowl, LSU over Georgia Tech 38-3

I can't tell you how many times LSU has had a "highly overrated" team, have a disappointing season (or a horrible one like last year), then defeat a "highly overrated" current ACC team during bowl season (actually I can - see below). Yet year in and year out Georgia Tech, Viginia Tech, Clemson (for some odd reason), etc. will be ranked high in preseason polls based on victories over each other. In the end, where are their elite teams ranked in the polls compared to the elite of the SEC, Big12, Big10, Pac10, etc.? You know where.

1959 Sugar Bowl, LSU over Clemson 7-0
1968 Peach Bowl, LSU over Floridat St. 31-27
1979 Tangerine Bowl, LSU over Wake Forest 34-10
1996 Peach Bowl, LSU over Clemson 10-7
2000 Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl, LSU over Georgia Tech 28-14
2005 Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl, LSU over Miami 40-3
2008 Chick-fil-A Bowl, LSU over Georgia Tech 38-3

There are other wins for SEC over ACC too.
2006 Music City Kentucky over Clemson 28-20 W
2007 Music City Kentucky over Florida State 35-28 W

:D:D:D:D

While I agree with you to a point, it doesn't change the fact that the SEC has won the last three national championships. And if Alabama wins this year that will be four in a row, and the SEC will have won half of all the championships since the start of the BCS in 1998. That doesn't sound like crumbling to me, just the opposite. There is parity in college football, but the top athletes still want to go to the traditional schools.

I wasn't touting the ACC. My point was the SEC isn't the end all be all of college football. There's 5 other BCS conferences and usually a couple of them are every bit as good as the SEC.

Also throwing in bowl results from 50 years ago isn't the best way to make your point. If I went back that far I might even find some good dook teams.

If I went back that far I might even find some good dook teams.
I wouldn't go that far ;)

But you are correct. While the SEC has a 4-game streak in the Peach Bowl, it was preceeded by a 4-game streak by the ACC, in which some SEC Divisional Champions were defeated.

While I agree with you to a point, it doesn't change the fact that the SEC has won the last three national championships. And if Alabama wins this year that will be four in a row, and the SEC will have won half of all the championships since the start of the BCS in 1998. That doesn't sound like crumbling to me, just the opposite. There is parity in college football, but the top athletes still want to go to the traditional schools.

Without a playoff, there is no true National Champion.

All we have is the Bowl Cartel Series Winner.

I wasn't touting the ACC. My point was the SEC isn't the end all be all of college football. There's 5 other BCS conferences and usually a couple of them are every bit as good as the SEC.

Also throwing in bowl results from 50 years ago isn't the best way to make your point. If I went back that far I might even find some good dook teams.

Let's be a little less vague.

Is the SEC the best Conference since the BCS started with the 1998 season?

Absolutely, not even remotely close.

Do other BCS Conferences play some top flight football? Yes without question.

From time to time do other BCS Confernces rise up for a single season or possibly two seasons to play on par with the SEC? Yes occassionally they do.

Big 12 last season was close, PAC 10 this season is close , there are other examples just listing the two most recent.

That's it though,an occassional nod to the Big 12 and Pac 10.

At no time since the BCS started have the Big 10, ACC and Big East been remotely close in Conference strength and depth of talented teams.

The main contribution from the latter two Conferences is a yearly debate about who holds the slot as the weakest BCS Conference and whether other non BCS Conferences have as good a product as the Big East and ACC.

Last edited:
The main contribution from the latter two Conferences is a yearly debate about who holds the slot as the weakest BCS Conference and whether other non BCS Conferences have as good a product as the Big East and ACC.
The ACC and BE more than make up for it in basketball season, whereas the SEC is lucky to get 3-4 teams into the dance.:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)