NCAA Bans Indian Mascots From Postseason

I thought the article was funny....because its true. I'm still waiting for the animal people to get mad over Tigers, Lions, Bears, Buffalo's, etc etc

I looked at the list of Origins of State Names, 25 states, that's right 25 are named after Indian culture. :shocked

They are:
1) Alabama: from Choctaw, meaning "thicket clearers" or "vegetation
gatherers"
2) Alaska: Aleut meaning "great land"
3) Arizona: from Indian "Arizonac" meaning little or young spring"
4) Connecticut: from the Indian word Quinnehtukqut meaning "beside the
long tidal river"
5) Idaho: Indian word, meaning unknown
6) Illinois: Algonguin for "tribe of superior men"
7) Indiana: meaning "land of Indians"
8) Iowa: Indian word meaning "the Beautiful Land"
9) Kansas: from a Sioux word meaning "people of the south wind"
10) Kentucky: From the Iroquoqin word "Ken-tah-ten" meaning "land of
tomorrow"
11) Massachusetts:From the Massachusett tribe meaning "at the great hill"
12) Michigan: from the Indian word "Michigana" meaning "Large Lake"
13) Minnesota: From the Dakota Indian word meaning "sky-tinted waters"
14) Mississippi: Indian word meaning "Father of Waters"
15) Missouri: Named after the Missouri Indian Tribe
16) Nebraska: Oto indian word meaning "flat water"
17) North Dakota: Sioux word meaning "allies"
18) Ohio: Iroquoian word meaning "great river"
19) Oklahoma: Choctaw meaning "red people"
20) South Dakota: Same as North Dakota
21) Tennessee: Cherokee, Meaning unknown
22) Texas: Indian word meaning "friends"
23) Utah: Ute word meaning "people of the mountains"
24) Wisconsin: Indian word whose meaning is disputed
25) Wyoming: Delaware Indian word meaning "mountains and valleys
alternating"; the same as Wyoming Valley Pennsylvania

So there you are, half of the states will have to wear blank jersey during NCAA tournament competition. :mad:

Indiana State's nickname is the Sycamores. We always thought after the trees, there are thousands of them around here. In the mid 70s it was learned that there was also an Indian tribe by the same name so the Sycamore Chief became the mascot. That lasted through the Larry Bird era and into the mid 80s when all of a sudden it was offensive. Of course this is a city that got the comic strip Andy Capp banned from the newspaper because he treated his wife "improperly" and young men should not be reading it and NYPD Blues banned from a local ABC affiliate because of it's immoral content. To this day I have never seen an episode of it because it was never shown here. Being a graduate of the school of Archie Bunker I could go on and on about this subject, but I would offend somebody, and that is the truth!!!

When they broadcast this news last week from one of my "locals" they talked about the all the High School's in our state that have Indian names... One in Ruidoso Actually has Apaches and they were proud of the name "Warriors" ... the sportscaster did bring up the fact the the Local High School team where I live's name is "Cavemen" and how that might offend some of them...:D

some more PC BS

http://www.wdio.com/index.cfm?viewer=\rootprod\wdio\shared\storyViewer&storyID=4348&queid=0

Grand Rapids, MN

The Grand Rapids school distict voted unanimously 6-0, Monday night to change the name of Squaw Lake Elementary School to Eagleview Elementary. The board says they have been feeling pressure to change the name of the school for awhile. The term squaw, once used to describe a Native American woman, is considered derogatory. The school is named after the town and lake of the same name. Two Squaw Lake residents spoke out against the name change Monday night.

The residents said the Grand Rapids school district should not make the decision on the name change because they do not live in the town. Superintendent, Joe Silko says even though many people in the town seem to want to keep the name, it is important the district respects those that find the word squaw offensive. Silko says, "the beautiful thing about the democratic process is that the rights of the minority are not trampled by the majority.

So if people are legitimately offended, is is the school's role as a leader in cultural change to be responsible." This isn't the first time Grand Rapids school district has changed a name to be more culturally sensitive. Grand Rapids High School's mascot used to be the Indians. It was changed in the late 1990's to the Thunderhawks. The school's new name, Eagleview has special significance. Painted on the building is a portrait of an Eagle, who appears to overlook the school. The Eagle is an honorable symbol in Native American culture

With all do respect, I think what they did here may not be so bad. The term "squaw" has always had some problems. Although I don't think the term is as bad in translation as some may think, there could be some valid points to this one.

I don't think this compares to Seminole or Illini.

The squaw controversy is a bit overblown. It really depends on which Native American language you look at . One language does contain a similar word used to describe a part of the female anatomy. In another language a different but similar word simply means wife.

However both deal with eastern tribes. Not sure why there would be a squaw lake in Minnesota.

As for the nicknames that is a pretty complicated question. I don't favor a blanket ban . Some tribes like the Seminoles in Florida have embraced the nickname and depiction. In that case and others like it I see no problem.

But in many others the depiction is less than flattering or the people involved would prefer to have it changed. That is quite a different story. To compare it "The Fighting Irish" is absurd. If the Irish had complained you would have something. Since they have not I don't see the point. But I do think that in cases where the group being depicted has objections the nickname could be reconsidered. After all there is no "right" to use someone else's culture and heritage in a manner they find offensive. That is not political correctness. It is basic courtesy.

Geronimo said:
However both deal with eastern tribes. Not sure why there would be a squaw lake in Minnesota.

Well, there is a squaw lake, MN and a lake in MN named squaw lake. I think thats where it came from :)

Iceberg said:
Well, there is a squaw lake, MN and a lake in MN named squaw lake. I think thats where it came from :)

I know that. What I said was that I found it odd that Minnesota would have a Squaw Lake since the term comes from people to the east.

Well that explains a lot. I know that the state of Minnesota changed the name of the lake a few years ago butt ehre is still a town that is presumably named after the lake formerly known as Squaw Lake. But I still think that we need to look at tehse things ona case by case basis. What the NCAA did witha blanket ban is not right. But saying it is ALWAYS OK is not right either.

You won't like this but I don't think the North Dakota situation is as cut and dried as you portray it. The school, its alums etc like the name but many of the governing councils of the Native people who call themselves Lakota or Dakota (and who the European Americans called the Sioux) have long expressed reservations (no pun intended) about it. (In fairness the elders of one tribe endorsed the nickname.) but that is an old controversy going back at least 30 years although some Native Americans opposed the name when it was first adopted in the 30s.

I am not gong to claim intimate knowledge of what the idividual Dakota and Lakota people think. I do know that some have long been offended by the term "Sioux" but that others have embraced it. In my mind it is differnt than the Seminole cse or the use of Native American imagery with a nickname like "Savages".

The officail logo does not represent a Native American but I have seen Noth Dakota clothing etc with a picture of a Native American. I think that this si it. http://store1.yimg.com/I/universal--shopping_1858_60954870

The depiction does not bother me and I have never seen a complaint about it in the articles I have read. AFAIK no one finds it objectionable.

Geronimo said:
The squaw controversy is a bit overblown. It really depends on which Native American language you look at . One language does contain a similar word used to describe a part of the female anatomy. In another language a different but similar word simply means wife.

As for the nicknames that is a pretty complicated question. I don't favor a blanket ban . Some tribes like the Seminoles in Florida have embraced the nickname and depiction. In that case and others like it I see no problem.

But in many others the depiction is less than flattering or the people involved would prefer to have it changed. That is quite a different story. To compare it "The Fighting Irish" is absurd. If the Irish had complained you would have something. Since they have not I don't see the point. But I do think that in cases where the group being depicted has objections the nickname could be reconsidered. After all there is no "right" to use someone else's culture and heritage in a manner they find offensive. That is not political correctness. It is basic courtesy.

AMEN!!:D

I don't hava a problem with actual names of Native American Tribes like the Seminoles. What I do have a problem with is names like the "Redskins" .

Also, all of you folks who are are complaining about political correctness are typical of the way most people think, wrongly I might add. It doesn't matter what YOU think. It matters what the people who say they are offended think. It ain't about you. You show your true colors when you start comparing animal names with the derogatory nicknames that were given to entire races of people. These names merely reiterate this countries racist past.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts