NCAA Football 2008-09 Season

You missed my point. The BCS games pay the same amount win or lose. There is no bonus for winning. Therefore, aside from the championship, there is nothing at stake. Sure, getting to a BCS game is nice, mainly because it means you likely won your conference, but the games themselves are as pointless as the Rose Bowl parade. So the BCS is like a 7 on 7 drill. Don't blame me blame the geniuses who created it.

The collegiate players see none of this money, so your argument in that both wining/losing teams get the same monetary pay-out holds no merit. What is at stake though is a little thing called PRIDE!

You missed my point. The BCS games pay the same amount win or lose. There is no bonus for winning. Therefore, aside from the championship, there is nothing at stake. Sure, getting to a BCS game is nice, mainly because it means you likely won your conference, but the games themselves are as pointless as the Rose Bowl parade. So the BCS is like a 7 on 7 drill. Don't blame me blame the geniuses who created it.
Nothing at stake? Almost all bowl games pay the same to the winner and loser, not just the BCS. And bowl games have been around for a long time. I'm pretty sure the players and coaches think there is plenty at stake. I'm not a fan of the BCS by any means, but do you remember before the BCS? There was no guarantee of #1 vs #2.

You got that right! We (MICHIGAN) took them lightly, well we all know how that turned out, don't we. 3 time consecutive national champs. And to think, we got blasted for adding them to our schedule last season, when we couldn't find anybody else to play us.

I don't by that. Supposedly both Hawai'i and Louisville were offered up for Michigan to open at home against and UM declined, possibly on the grounds that the didn't want to get beat and that they had the Oregon game the following week.

The collegiate players see none of this money, so your argument in that both wining/losing teams get the same monetary pay-out holds no merit. What is at stake though is a little thing called PRIDE!
The money thing really isn't my argument. It's what all the BCS fans use as a justification for how cool the BCS is. "They pay more money than any of the other bowls." As for the pride argument, please. People can motivate themselves with pride for all sorts of things. In sports however, there must be consequenses for winning and losing. Do you think that Tiger Woods plays just for pride? Do you think that Nadal and Federer played the greatest tennis match ever just for pride? No! They were trying to win something important.

The money thing really isn't my argument. It's what all the BCS fans use as a justification for how cool the BCS is. "They pay more money than any of the other bowls." As for the pride argument, please. People can motivate themselves with pride for all sorts of things. In sports however, there must be consequenses for winning and losing. Do you think that Tiger Woods plays just for pride? Do you think that Nadal and Federer played the greatest tennis match ever just for pride? No! They were trying to win something important.
What is your argument? Are you saying that coaches, players, and fans don't care whether they win or lose a bowl game?

I guess if I were a UNC fan, I would feel that way about football too.:rolleyes:

I don't feel any worse about losing a bowl game than I do if an NFL team loses a pre-season game. Bowl games are just a big pep rally. To see your team lose in a playoff stings.

What a silly argument. Yes, there is a consequence: if you win your bowl, you are a "bowl winner" and if you lose, you are a "bowl loser". And your overall season record reflects that.

Whether or not you place any value on that win or loss is your perogative, but it's just absurd to act like bowl games are some pointless exhibition. You might want to inform the large money being doled out by sponsors and TV networks, not to mention the large number of fans who attend many of whom travel across the country and plan their holiday vacations around them.

Sorry I forgot about all the prestige that goes along with winning the Poinsetta Bowl. And for the winners of the Outback Bowl they will receive $20 gift certificates to Outback good at over 500 restaurants nationwide! The winners of the Meineke Car Care Bowl get a free oil change and $15 off tire rotation (must be redeemed before 1/1/2009 and cannot be used with any other promotion). This IS what sports should be about. The NFL is sooo stupid. Who wants that silly Vince Lombardi trophy? Who sponsors the Super Bowl anyway? I think Jack in the Box would make an excellent sponsor. Maybe the officials at Augusta National will wake up and do away with the Green Jacket and turn the Masters into a Skins Game.

Sorry I forgot about all the prestige that goes along with winning the Poinsetta Bowl. And for the winners of the Outback Bowl they will receive $20 gift certificates to Outback good at over 500 restaurants nationwide! The winners of the Meineke Car Care Bowl get a free oil change and $15 off tire rotation (must be redeemed before 1/1/2009 and cannot be used with any other promotion). This IS what sports should be about. The NFL is sooo stupid. Who wants that silly Vince Lombardi trophy? Who sponsors the Super Bowl anyway? I think Jack in the Box would make an excellent sponsor. Maybe the officials at Augusta National will wake up and do away with the Green Jacket and turn the Masters into a Skins Game.

I thought this discussion was about BSC bowl games, not the minor league games.

Jimbo

You are forgetting probably the biggest benefit of a bowl win....RECRUITING. It's much easier for a coach to call a recruit and say, "come play for the Rose Bowl Champions."

Also, there is alot more swag than gift certificates. Usually players get Xbox's, video camera's, watches, etc., etc., etc. I was a graduate assistant at Tennessee when we played in the Peach Bowl and I even got a nice Fossil watch and a polo.

In a previous post you brought up Tiger Woods, Rafa Nadal, and Roger Federer. They are pro athletes playing in individual sports. Hardly a fair comparison to a college football bowl game.

You are forgetting probably the biggest benefit of a bowl win....RECRUITING. It's much easier for a coach to call a recruit and say, "come play for the Rose Bowl Champions."
EXCELLENT point, very good.

I highly doubt that the TOP high school QB in the country goes to Ohio State if the Bucks had not been winning and getting to the NC game.

He probably would have gone to M or maybe Penn State otherwise.

Jimbo

EXCELLENT point, very good.

I highly doubt that the TOP high school QB in the country goes to Ohio State if the Bucks had not been winning and getting to the NC game.

He probably would have gone to M or maybe Penn State otherwise.

Jimbo
Ohio St still would have been a recruiting force. They are the Big Ten champs after all and they didn't even need to rely on a stupid computer to win that title.

What will be this season's biggest storyline?

In 2005, it was the year of two super colossal powers in Texas and USC.

2006- Florida and Ohio State played 'The Tortoise and the Hare.'

2007- The year of the upset.

What will the 2008 season's biggest storyline turn out to be?

What will be this season's biggest storyline?

In 2005, it was the year of two super colossal powers in Texas and USC.

2006- Florida and Ohio State played 'The Tortoise and the Hare.'

2007- The year of the upset.

What will the 2008 season's biggest storyline turn out to be?

Rookie phenom QB, Terrell Pryor comes into his own late this season to help the Buckeyes offense fire on all cylinders along with Beanie and Maurice Wells, Brian Hartline and Brian Robiskie. The Buckeyes earn the right to play in the National Championship for the 3rd year in a row. This year, 3rd times a charm! tOSU Buckeyes bring the national championship back to Columbus, where it belongs!

Go Bucks!

Rookie phenom QB, Terrell Pryor comes into his own late this season to help the Buckeyes offense fire on all cylinders along with Beanie and Maurice Wells, Brian Hartline and Brian Robiskie. The Buckeyes earn the right to play in the National Championship for the 3rd year in a row. This year, 3rd times a charm! tOSU Buckeyes bring the national championship back to Columbus, where it belongs!

Go Bucks!
Pryor has to crack the lineup first. I think he's going to be waiting in line behind Boeckman for most of the year, except for some early season games where he plays in the 2nd half

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts