NCAA Football 2009-10 Season

GT, one that had the 'nads to walk away from the SEC as they had a few "problems" with the way it was being run and by whom.
Don't forget that we begged the SEC to take us back in the 70's, but they said no (Bear Bryant campaigned heavily to prevent Tech being readmitted). So Tech helped found the Metro Conference instead, and then jumped to the ACC 3 years later since the Metro wouldn't add football.

Last edited:
Don't forget that we begged the SEC to take us back in the 70's, but they said no (UGA campaigned heavily to prevent Tech being readmitted). So Tech helped found the Metro Conference instead, and then jumped to the ACC 3 years later since the Metro wouldn't add football.

"Begged" is such an ugly word, I prefer the phrase "got down on knees and pleaded with." :D

GT got out of the SEC because of Bear Bryant and was prevented from getting back in because of Vince Dooley. :D Ironic that Dooley was an Auburn grad, while Bryant was an Alabama grad, huh?

The Metro lasted about 20 years and could have been a powerhouse conference, except the Louisville coach, Howard Schnellenberger fought to keep the Metro conference out of a football program. :D (he later became the Sooners head coach for one season, being a pompous a$$ the whole while, and was resigned at the end of a 5-5-1 season. )

GT got out of the SEC because of Bear Bryant and was prevented from getting back in because of Vince Dooley. :D Ironic that Dooley was an Auburn grad, while Bryant was an Alabama grad, huh?
Correction, it was Bear Bryant who convinced Alabama to vote no on Tech rejoining.
In Dodd We Trust - A Georgia Tech Sports Blog: Requiem for a Conference Affiliation

Which was a shame, as the Tech-Auburn series was awesome.

Too bad Tech and South Carolina can't switch and go back to their original conferences.

Well, the Tar Heels did it.

They beat the Hokies.

I did not see this one coming.

What a difference a week makes.

The Tarheels are the schizo team of the ACC. You never know which one of them is going to come out to play. :)

If the good one comes out to play, they look good (as in VT game), but when the ugly one comes out to play, they look really bad (as in the VA game.)

Correction, it was Bear Bryant who convinced Alabama to vote no on Tech rejoining.
In Dodd We Trust - A Georgia Tech Sports Blog: Requiem for a Conference Affiliation

Which was a shame, as the Tech-Auburn series was awesome.

Too bad Tech and South Carolina can't switch and go back to their original conferences.

That blog is an interesting read, thanks. (Comments to it are funny, too!) That is not what I heard, though, heard it was Dooley that didn't want GT back in SEC, although it may well have been both. I wasn't in school there any more when that happened, so my take was on what GT grads told me, and we all KNOW they wouldn't be biased, right? :D (I do know that a family friend who was the President of the Alabama Alumni Assn back then almost had a heart attack when he found out I was headed to Atlanta to go to school, quite literally, he was that upset.)

There are similar stories around here as to why Bear left UK and went to Alabama. Story goes that both he and Rupp had awesome seasons, Rupp got a new car as a bonus and Bear a keyring (or a ciggy lighter, or a watch, depending on the version of the story you hear.) :D

Man Iowa is lucky. Indiana was about to score a TD that would have put them up 28-7, and Iowa gets an INT off a deflection and runs it back 95 yards for the TD.

Florida State and NC State- there are no words to describe their offensive brilliance today.
I thought you'd like this type of game. No defense whatsover. And NC State loses....again. :D Their defense has allowed 145 points in the last 3 games. That's 48 PPG for those scoring at home. Nice going. :up

Man Iowa is lucky. Indiana was about to score a TD that would have put them up 28-7, and Iowa gets an INT off a deflection and runs it back 95 yards for the TD.

There were at least three caroms on that play before Sash grabbed it. Definitely an ugly win (again). It has to say something positive about the character of your team when they give up six turnovers and have a nine-yard punt against a team you should dominate and they still manage to win. How about the faith the team and coaches must have in Stanzi to stay with him after that horrendous third quarter (first three quarters, really)? In the end, they are 9–0.

OSU may take them down, but I wouldn't count them out against anybody until the game is over. They are capable of winning every game left in front of them.

Redskins Vinnie Cerrato resigns!

Scary news for the Bengals "Chris Henry, dead at 26"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)