NCAA Football 2012-13 off season

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, you get the top ranked teams, but never watch something like the MAC, or even some of the unranked teams in the MWC or WAC or Conference USA. You're missing some very entertaining games, especially the MAC which was really wild last year. My point is, that by not even paying attention to a broad spectrum of the sport, your view is much narrower than if you actually saw some of the "lesser" games. Just like last year, did you watch your SEC power Mississippi struggle to get past Fresno State who ran up some pretty big stats and points against the vaunted SEC defense. Granted, Ole Miss is at the bottom of the SEC, but they would probably be at the bottom half of the MWC also (at least before the breakup of the conference which at one time had Boise, TCU, BYU, Utah all of whom would also feast on the SEC also-rans). There is no conference that doesn't have some soft spots, but may have some very good teams on top. Thank goodness for the scholarship limits that have helped spread the talent around the country as there are a lot of good players in some of the smaller schools and conferences (check out the NFL rosters) because the BCS and ESPN keep making the rich richer and without these limits the balance of power would be completely out of control.

So, you get the top ranked teams, but never watch something like the MAC, or even some of the unranked teams in the MWC or WAC or Conference USA. You're missing some very entertaining games, especially the MAC which was really wild last year. My point is, that by not even paying attention to a broad spectrum of the sport, your view is much narrower than if you actually saw some of the "lesser" games. Just like last year, did you watch your SEC power Mississippi struggle to get past Fresno State who ran up some pretty big stats and points against the vaunted SEC defense. Granted, Ole Miss is at the bottom of the SEC, but they would probably be at the bottom half of the MWC also (at least before the breakup of the conference which at one time had Boise, TCU, BYU, Utah all of whom would also feast on the SEC also-rans). There is no conference that doesn't have some soft spots, but may have some very good teams on top. Thank goodness for the scholarship limits that have helped spread the talent around the country as there are a lot of good players in some of the smaller schools and conferences (check out the NFL rosters) because the BCS and ESPN keep making the rich richer and without these limits the balance of power would be completely out of control.

I do look at the NFL rosters... and the SEC is still tops of that also. Hell FLA alone has like 6 Starters on the Patriots... Belichik knows talent ;)

I do look at the NFL rosters... and the SEC is still tops of that also. Hell FLA alone has like 6 Starters on the Patriots... Belichik knows talent ;)

You really don't get it. Not talking about numbers, just the fact that there are good players all over the country and as usual, you have to make it all about the SEC. Guess what, there is life outside the SEC.

You really don't get it. Not talking about numbers, just the fact that there are good players all over the country and as usual, you have to make it all about the SEC. Guess what, there is life outside the SEC.

No doubt they play good football outside the SEC. No doubt there are talented players all over the nation. Not saying that at all, Just saying there happens to be a disproportional amount in the south..

I've been a fan of college football for over 45 years. I watch a lot of college football from all conferences. I attended a smaller conference school and have two college age children who attend smaller conference schools now. I have other family who attended Colorado State, Utah, Miami of Ohio. Believe me, I know about smaller conferences and watch a lot of their sports. I've lived in SEC, Big12, PAC10, and now Big10 country. I can assure you, fans of those conferences talk very little of the SEC or other conferences, but an awful lot about their own, and more so when their teams are on top. It doesn't mean that they are ignorant of the rest of the league, they're just more interested in their own.

You talk like some of us just fell off the turnip truck and landed in the SEC. But, if it makes you feel better, you can keep talking to us like we're a bunch of overzealous rubes who don't know what the rest of you really intelligent fans from other conferences know about college football. Whatever keeps you happy while our teams in the SEC collect championships. ;)

Last edited:
If I may chime in.

SEC! SEC! SEC!

And to let you guys in on a "secret". Yes, many fans of the SEC schools have great pride in not only their school, but also of the accomplishments of the conference as a whole. We understand that if the other conference members do well, then it is of benefit to all the members.

That said, we also waive our "pom poms" so much, because "yall" seem to let it bother you so much when we do. So, we do it even more just to mess with you. Then we win another championship and it starts all over again. It is quite amusing to watch, and even more fun to be part of, but for the most part it is all in good fun.

Also, as my corn dog eating friend said above, there really is little difference between SEC fans focusing on SEC sports, and any other power conference focusing on their own games. It does not make us (or them) ignorant of goings on outside the conference, in fact, you might find that many SEC fans, as into college sports as they are, might be among the most involved of any group out there.

I, for one, get it. Now don't get your overalls in a twist when I tell you how much the SEC in basketball is Kentucky and the 11 dwarfs :)

I, for one, get it. Now don't get your overalls in a twist when I tell you how much the SEC in basketball is Kentucky and the 11 dwarfs :)

Why do you think we let them stay and dont kick them out? I mean have you seen them play football? Its like watching a big ten team play :p

(also historically yes its been all kentucky but the others are really starting to step up their game.. FLA had back to back titles just recently. And last year the SEC had 4 of the elite 8 teams...

(also historically yes its been all kentucky but the others are really starting to step up their game.. FLA had back to back titles just recently. And last year the SEC had 4 of the elite 8 teams...
true, but history is what SEC football has. If NCAA basketball ran the same way (ie no playoffs) do you really think the SEC would be able to place teams into a championship? Nope, Kentucky would be the Boise State of basketball.

true, but history is what SEC football has. If NCAA basketball ran the same way (ie no playoffs) do you really think the SEC would be able to place teams into a championship? Nope, Kentucky would be the Boise State of basketball.

I see your point, but I doubt it. The sports are far to different, and there are far more games, ect (other factors). Hard to compare the two and come to a conclusion on what one would be if you only changed the post season, even in the past. Not to mention, Kentucky has been a force in college hoops far longer than Boise in football. Given time, who knows, Boise is already banging on the door.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Well after the first two seasons being on campus, Arkansas and A&M will play the "southwest classic" conference rivalry game at Jerry World through 2024.

College Football starts this week and you know what I will be doing this weekend is watching Football this weekend :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)