NCAA Football 2012-13 off season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone that plays any of the fantasy games has seen that it's very limited to make points on picks for defenses the last couple of years.

So, question is: Is the proliferation of high-powered offenses making the defenses look bad, or are bad defenses making these offenses look good?

Well i think the last few National title games have proven the offenses are not as good when thrown against solid defenses..

LSU v Oregon, FL v Oklahoma, Alabama V Texas etc.

In just the FLA v Oklahoma debate OK had scored 50+ points in 9 of its games, and 40+ in all the rest except 1 game. It scored 35. They had 5 games of 60+ points.. All we heard about was how "unstoppable" that OK offense was.. When reality is, the Big 12 defenses just SUCK! As FLA who wasn't even the top defense in the SEC held OK to just 14 points. OK scored 45 points against Texas, 66 against Texas Tech, 61 against OK St, and
62 points against Missouri.. Certainly the "cream" of the Big 12...

Look at Oregon V LSU.. Oregon had a "unstoppable" offense, in which LSU shut down.

the SOS is flawed in every sense of its form till you really get into the meat of a teams schedule as it is all speculation and nothing more. Clemson was a damn good team last year but they do best and that is beat themselves - the loss to WVU was a bad one indeed but that wasn't VT's fault. The loss to Michigan in OT wasn't nothing either - VT lost but it was a very close and awesome game to watch and did go into OT - you gotta have a winner and a loser but either way rebuilding or not VT played like a champ in that game and got ripped off by a bad call that YES the guy in charge of the Ref's for College Football came out to say that catch in the end zone (CATCH) by Danny Coale should have not been over turned but left to stand...now would VT still win, who knows nobody knows but its crap like that which really drives people nuts when you ruin a good game with bad calls. Reminds me of the one back in 2004 with VT against #1 USC that may have cost VT the game, nobody will ever know otherwise. I don't get why all the ACC hate here.... they have some GREAT teams every single one of them have had great runs and do great things so lets just stop with all the hate and lets just prepare for a good season coming, I'm excited and for that here watch this, certainly got me fired up! GO HOKIES! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrTmaypDWFI

I am excited to and appreciate your passion for your team glad you stick to it!

But ugh Clemson didnt "beat" themselves they got absolutely destroyed. Like they didnt even belong in the same Div1 as WVU did.. It was like watching FLA play vs the Citadal.. Just a fun exhibition game.

And of course VT vs Mich was a heart breaker no doubt for VT fans and it no doubt could of gone either way, they seemed like 2 perfectly evenly matched teams.

But when the best team in your League (the champion) gets absolutely destroyed by the likes of WVU it makes people think bad about the conference as a whole. Its not hate, its reality. Until the conference proves it plays "great" football and has "Great" teams by winning the big games or having a winning record period vs the other major conferences then people will continue to not respect ACC football.

You really can't blame any of these teams.. they beat themselves up every year like any other conf. They all had their chances but its what is this year is important, I don't look at the past if I can avoid it.

I have no problem with their "inter conference" record. No doubt conferences beat each other up and have "each others" numbers. I mean take SEC bottom feeder ole miss beating FLA the year it won the title. Or Washington beating USC.. These teams you play year in and year out are bound to eventually catch you off guard..

The problem with the ACC is they dont win the big OOC games. The ones that show case themselves on the national stage. I mean its very hard to find a solid ooc win from an ACC team in a long time.

I don't know if this has already been brought up,but,as big a "fan boy" as I am about Boise State & their "Smurf Turf",I honestly believe that they have bitten off more than they can chew facing Michigan State this upcoming Aug. 31st. I just think that Michigan State has size that Boise State has never seen before,both on the offensive & defensive lines. I'm guessing that Michigan State has NFL sized linemen on their offensive & defensive lines,& THAT will give Boise State fits.

Well i think the last few National title games have proven the offenses are not as good when thrown against solid defenses..

In just the FLA v Oklahoma debate OK had scored 50+ points in 9 of its games, and 40+ in all the rest except 1 game. It scored 35. They had 5 games of 60+ points.. All we heard about was how "unstoppable" that OK offense was.. When reality is, the Big 12 defenses just SUCK! As FLA who wasn't even the top defense in the SEC held OK to just 14 points. OK scored 45 points against Texas, 66 against Texas Tech, 61 against OK St, and

Look at Oregon V LSU.. Oregon had a "unstoppable" offense, in which LSU shut down.

To begin with, I was speaking in general over the whole college football spectrum (I don't know why you SEC people think everything revolves around the SEC).

LSU v Oregon - giving up 27 isn't exactly shutting someone down and it was still far above LSU's average. I assume the Alabama -Texas you refer to was the national championship in 2010 in which Texas did score 21 points with a freshman QB with no game experience. For a fantasy defense, it amounts to zilch, and the only way to score points with a fantasy defense anymore is through turnovers.

These offense and defense trends go in cycles and I was wondering if there is just more emphasis on offense now and the better athletes are migrating there. Even the pros seem to be trending the same way.

The Insider said:

Blah blah blah.

The sec hasn't actually faced a healthy Big 12 offense yet. If I remember right and I may not. Demarco Murray was out of that game hurt. Florida couldn't stop OU's no huddle offense until it got to the goal line and then without Murray OU coaches stupidly made the decision to try and run up the middle continuously without Murray, instead of letting Bradford continue his throwing success. Texas was finished as soon as Colt McCoy went down on the first series, no contest. That would have been a different game with Colt in there. They may or may not have lost, but it wouldn't have been the one sided affair it was. Now the sec could have tried to show if they really have any great defenses last year against a healthy and high powered Big 12 offense but as we know the pollsters couldn't take that much excitement and chose to have another snoozefest. So you want to say our defenses suck, that's fine because I have yet to see anything resembling an offense in the sec to make me think the sec's defense is anything other than average.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using SatelliteGuys

I don't know if this has already been brought up,but,as big a "fan boy" as I am about Boise State & their "Smurf Turf",I honestly believe that they have bitten off more than they can chew facing Michigan State this upcoming Aug. 31st. I just think that Michigan State has size that Boise State has never seen before,both on the offensive & defensive lines. I'm guessing that Michigan State has NFL sized linemen on their offensive & defensive lines,& THAT will give Boise State fits.

Boise's not as undersized as some seem to think (they had 6 drafted by the NFL this year - 2 D-line, 1 O-Line). MSU isn't any bigger on the lines than Georgia was last year or VTech the year before. I think the biggest problem is just that Boise lost a lot of talent at QB and RB as well as their defensive line so will be in a rebuilding year and they don't have the depth that other top teams do. Their biggest loss was Doug Martin IMHO. One problem I saw with them last year was their receiving corps wasn't that good and that hampered Moore. They do have Chris Petersen, though, and he gets more out of his available talent than any coach in the country.

Blah blah blah.

The sec hasn't actually faced a healthy Big 12 offense yet. If I remember right and I may not. Demarco Murray was out of that game hurt. Florida couldn't stop OU's no huddle offense until it got to the goal line and then without Murray OU coaches stupidly made the decision to try and run up the middle continuously without Murray, instead of letting Bradford continue his throwing success. Texas was finished as soon as Colt McCoy went down on the first series, no contest. That would have been a different game with Colt in there. They may or may not have lost, but it wouldn't have been the one sided affair it was. Now the sec could have tried to show if they really have any great defenses last year against a healthy and high powered Big 12 offense but as we know the pollsters couldn't take that much excitement and chose to have another snoozefest. So you want to say our defenses suck, that's fine because I have yet to see anything resembling an offense in the sec to make me think the sec's defense is anything other than average.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using SatelliteGuys

Lol, it is always something isnt it?

Now the sec could have tried to show if they really have any great defenses last year against a healthy and high powered Big 12 offense but as we know the pollsters couldn't take that much excitement and chose to have another snoozefest.

Iowa State says hi ;)

Boise's not as undersized as some seem to think (they had 6 drafted by the NFL this year - 2 D-line, 1 O-Line). MSU isn't any bigger on the lines than Georgia was last year or VTech the year before. I think the biggest problem is just that Boise lost a lot of talent at QB and RB as well as their defensive line so will be in a rebuilding year and they don't have the depth that other top teams do. Their biggest loss was Doug Martin IMHO. One problem I saw with them last year was their receiving corps wasn't that good and that hampered Moore. They do have Chris Petersen, though, and he gets more out of his available talent than any coach in the country.

However he does in the pros notwithstanding,the loss of Kellen Moore is a major obstacle for Boise State to overcome.

I think that is the biggest thing Boise will have to overcome. As much as I don't care for Boise or their smurf turf. Kellen Moore was a big play maker for them and it will be hard for them to replace him.

Nothing would be better then a Boise win :)

Nothing would be better then a Boise win :)

How about a Boise win and then MSU running the table? Unlikely Boise would lose another so a win over the Big 10 champ would be hard to keep them out of the national championship game with a 1-loss team. Don't really see it, but I just love anything that drops turds in the BCS oatmeal.

lsilvest said:
How about a Boise win and then MSU running the table? Unlikely Boise would lose another so a win over the Big 10 champ would be hard to keep them out of the national championship game with a 1-loss team. Don't really see it, but I just love anything that drops turds in the BCS oatmeal.

No running the table for MSU, this year Michigan gets back on track with a W

Even undefeated, Boise's schedule, including a win over Michigan St wouldn't be enough to get in over a 1 loss Big 12 or SEC team.

When Boise starts playing 5 or 6 ranked teams each season, then they can argue.

Strength of Schedule is still going to be a big component of college football after the BCS, probably an even bigger component. The MWC and Big East just don't have it.

And that's exactly why the BCS is a crock!
How does that make it a crock? Boise has little in the way of competition to win them all. A one loss team from either of those two conferences would have had a much harder time of it. For their (Boise) one big game against MSU (and maybe Southern Miss), there are several against a Bama, LSU, Ark, Florida, Oklahoma, Ok State, WVa (and that is not counting any big OOC games they might play).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)