NCAA Football 2012-13 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't matter, I don't wish to derail this thread any more than it is however I do ask that people stop LIKING or DISLIKING my posts.. there is nothing wrong with them - go to Facebook if you have that desire which IMO is where that feature should have stayed.
liking or disliking posts isn't against the rules whether you and I like it or not. Now,please let's get back on topic so I don't have to start deleting off topic posts. thanks.....

Not too happy about Bamas kick off time this week. 8:15 is too darn late. Darn it. Lol.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

liking or disliking posts isn't against the rules whether you and I like it or not. Now,please let's get back on topic so I don't have to start deleting off topic posts. thanks.....
We have a topic? Oh yeah, SEC rules!!! :D

just kidding. I'm looking forward to this weekend though, getting into the meat of the conference schedules. Tech's season is pretty much in the toilet now, but Georgia faces one of it's traditional stumbling blocks this Saturday with Tennessee. Hopefully the team isn't looking ahead at the Gamecocks.

Not too happy about Bamas kick off time this week. 8:15 is too darn late. Darn it. Lol.
I agree, I've always hated evening games. My preference has always been noon or 1pm. Gives you time to tailgate in the morning, and have fun after the game, not to mention wait out the traffic jam following the game.
Even watching at home, the evening games seemed to late, hated waiting up that late watching it. College football should always be Saturday afternoon.

I prefer the 2:30 time slot, be it at the game, or on TV. After that, I like the 6:45 or 7 kick off.

The 11:20 slot is too early for my tastes, and the late kickoff, is just that, too late. I could understand if we were playing out in California, but its in Tuscaloosa.

That's what happens when tv has a say in the scheduling. I hate the 9 and 9:30 kickoffs we were getting. Most of our conference games don't start any later than 6:30, unless we get the ABC evening slot at 7:30.

I enjoy anything around the 7 o'clock hour if I'm watching from home, but hate those if I am attending as I still have an hour to 2 hour drive home from Stillwater or Norman

All that said, I sll much prefer having it on tv rather than not. Occasional late kickoff or not.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ive never been a fan of MY team playing on thursday (even though I can think of a time during a "regular" week that it has happened. To me, saturday is for college football.

That said, i do enjoy watching some of the lesser schools get more exposure by a nationally televised Thursday game.

Ive never been a fan of MY team playing on thursday (even though I can think of a time during a "regular" week that it has happened. To me, saturday is for college football.

That said, i do enjoy watching some of the lesser schools get more exposure by a nationally televised Thursday game.

Not so much as "lesser" schools getting attention but its just a highlight of a night game. The only time VT for example has a night game is on Thursday nights or if they open up for a big game like this past Labor Day or next years chik fil a sponsored game against Bama but that is on a Saturday night - VT doesn't do Saturday night home games - they just don't do it, I can't even remember the last time they did its something that the school is against which is lame IMO.

I HATE Thursday night games, whether in person or on TV. They start too late to watch the whole thing, plus I have work the next day, so that pretty much kills seeing it.

"lesser schools"? Not too arrogant are we? Seems both Stanford and Washington have national championships in their history and both rank higher academically of fbs teams than anyone in the SEC or Big 12 (with possible exception of Vandy), and Stanford is #1.

As a long-time college football fan, I've always bemoaned the loss of the true student athlete in most of the top football programs. When you look at the current "power" conferences, they have the lowest academic credentials and standards of the bcs schools. Of the top 100 schools in the world academically, the Big 10 and Pac-12 each of 10. the rest of the BCS conferences have no more than 3. Strange the power rankings are adverse to the academic rankings.

Guess everyone has a different view of "lesser".

I HATE Thursday night games, whether in person or on TV. They start too late to watch the whole thing, plus I have work the next day, so that pretty much kills seeing it.

I normally take off the day after VT plays on a Thursday night sometimes Thursday too - I make it basically a holiday time for me. As for watching on TV I don't mind staying up a few extra hours much like I am now up late doing things, mostly writing scripting codes or something to pass the time as I can't sleep long anyway.

"lesser schools"? Not too arrogant are we? Seems both Stanford and Washington have national championships in their history
No, not arrogant at all. I searched for a better word, but honestly, none more accurately describes what I was trying to say. In terms of historic on field performance, program prestige, national fan following, ect, Thursday night games are, with a few exceptions, played by "lesser" athletic programs. It is not a put down to them, it simply is what it is. I know when I was at USM the Thursday night game were a staple. They played them often, and loved it. It gave them a chance to play before a national audience that they would not normally get on a Saturday, unless they were playing a "better" program (such as Nebraska, Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Ect). It also gave them better student fan support, as most students were still on campus, and Thursday is (or was at least) the big party night for college students.

The reason those schools (Nebraska, Bama, LSU, Ohio State, again, ect) generally do not play those Thursday night games (during a normal working week) is because they have never had to.

and both rank higher academically of fbs teams than anyone in the SEC or Big 12 (with possible exception of Vandy), and Stanford is #1.

As a long-time college football fan, I've always bemoaned the loss of the true student athlete in most of the top football programs. When you look at the current "power" conferences, they have the lowest academic credentials and standards of the bcs schools. Of the top 100 schools in the world academically, the Big 10 and Pac-12 each of 10. the rest of the BCS conferences have no more than 3. Strange the power rankings are adverse to the academic rankings.

Guess everyone has a different view of "lesser"

Ah, the old academic factor of the argument that always comes up when discussing football.....

Last edited:

There is that. Getting up at 4:20 every morning, a late Thursday game is brutal. I will watch, and if it gets out of hand I go on to bed. If it is a close one, I stay up and put in a coffee drip the next morning. Missing work because of football is not an option for me.

I have to agree that Thursday night is for lesser schools. If the schools have the power and pull, they will not be on Thursday nights, and actually have it in their ESPN contracts that it will not happen. The SEC only allows 2 games a year, and some of the SEC schools (UGA is one) refuse to be eligible for it.

I have to agree that Thursday night is for lesser schools. If the schools have the power and pull, they will not be on Thursday nights, and actually have it in their ESPN contracts that it will not happen. The SEC only allows 2 games a year, and some of the SEC schools (UGA is one) refuse to be eligible for it.

I don't remember the last time Kentucky even played on Thursday.

Ah, the old academic factor of the argument that always comes up when discussing football.....

Why not, they are student athletes, or at least supposed to be. It helps when you can recruit players who essentially have no business in college and would not be accepted at many other institutions. It's unbelievable how any of them can even flunk out with the low academic standards in our schools today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

POLL: Hypothetical: If Tebow and Te'o collided the results would be:

NFL Championship Sunday Picks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)