NCAA Football 2014 season

I guess everyone saw this

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...test-coaches-poll/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs
The coaches poll has Bama #1
I guess Jimbo needs to teach them they are wrong.
No surprise there, FSU has been squeaking by weekly .... them dropping means someone has to go up.

Remember, theres only 1 poll that really matters... thats the one at the end of the season.
This is just to keep people guessing whats next.

Like I have said before, this is no different than the BCS or the ones before them .... they will have the teams they want in the championship game, now the final 4 regardless.

Only difference now is you have 12 people controlling who they want in instead of Computer polls and the AP and Coaches.

Doesn't matter really, Ohio State was 22 and 24 at one point this year, with the freshmen and red shirt freshmen they have playing, to be this high is incredible.

That said they should NEVER have dropped 19 spots for a loss in the first place.

I think its very different from the BCS and very subjective and open for abuse. At least the BCS had mathematical components that couldn't be altered and polls that would be hard to corrupt. In the sense that there will always be those left out I agree. But in any case I prefer an 8 team playoff and elimination of conf championships. ranking ia all that is needed to set it up and the only legitimate one is the BCS formula.

I think its very different from the BCS and very subjective and open for abuse. At least the BCS had mathematical components that couldn't be altered and polls that would be hard to corrupt. In the sense that there will always be those left out I agree. But in any case I prefer an 8 team playoff and elimination of conf championships. ranking ia all that is needed to set it up and the only legitimate one is the BCS formula.
You really think the computer polls were better .... remember, the computers were only calculating the info that the person that programmed them put in to them, so the computers were no less susceptible to mischief than a human.

Yes but the computers take raw numbers and make a choice. And the formula is the same for every team giving them each equal chance.
And the best and worse for each team was thrown out with the rest averaged. With that average itself only making up a third of the final formula.

That IMO takes care of any programming bias that could have occurred.

I believe Ole Miss was undefeated and #3 in the Nation at the time and playing great ball.
Wasn't VPI undefeated at the time that they beat Ohio St.?

As it is, I put little credence in (at the time) polls, as teams can/do easily collapse, like VPI and now Ole Miss, who is likely to finish with 4 losses.

I think "at the time", Ole Miss was a qualified top 5 team based on their body of work vs everyone else, again "at the time".

Unfortunately for them, injuries and the day to day toll of playing in the division they are in caught up with them. At THIS time, they are not the same team that they were.

But in any case I prefer an 8 team playoff and elimination of conf championships. ranking ia all that is needed to set it up and the only legitimate one is the BCS formula.
I personally prefer 16 (as in 1AA and below), but 8 would be much better.

But why get rid of conference championship games? Basketball still has conference tournaments.
With the month long gap between conference championship games and New Years, there's plenty of time for an 8 or 16 team playoff. Just have the first round in an 8 team playoff (or first 2 rounds in a 16 team playoff) be played on campus, with the semi finals & championship game handled as is.

Bowl games can go to teams who didn't make the playoffs or are eliminated in the first round or 8 (or first 2 of 16). Those eliminated in the quarterfinals can even fill the 2 of the bowls that aren't being used for the semi-finals.

Reactions: Mike0616
I am fine with 4 as I feel that best keeps the regular season relevant. The farther you go with it, the less and less a loss in the reg season means.
8 would probably be ok, 16 I think is just too many.

Playoffs haven't hurt the NFL's season relevancy.
I disagree. A loss, or 5 doesnt exclude you from the playoffs, so they mean much less.
A few losses in college at the FBS level and you are reduced to the GMAC Bowl.

Also its really not an apples to apples comparison as FBS has what, 128 teams playing anywhere from 12-14 games and the NFL has 32 playing more in the regular season than that.
A comparison with college basketball is not valid either IMO.

Make losses mean less and you lose what's special about Saturday's seeing young men playing their hearts out because every game, every week means everything. Not so in the NFL, but not just for that reason. A lot of them couldn't give a rats a@@ as long as they get paid. I honestly would rather watch a Saturday of SEC match ups than the NFL

I agree with 8 being the fartherst id go, but I still prefer the four team play off, but id rather the BCS system was still in place to select those four teams, but a group of illuminati...

Reactions: Ronnie-
I personally prefer 16 (as in 1AA and below), but 8 would be much better.

But why get rid of conference championship games? Basketball still has conference tournaments.
With the month long gap between conference championship games and New Years, there's plenty of time for an 8 or 16 team playoff. Just have the first round in an 8 team playoff (or first 2 rounds in a 16 team playoff) be played on campus, with the semi finals & championship game handled as is.

Bowl games can go to teams who didn't make the playoffs or are eliminated in the first round or 8 (or first 2 of 16). Those eliminated in the quarterfinals can even fill the 2 of the bowls that aren't being used for the semi-finals.
Because 1 not all conferences have them, 2 by the end of the year you have a ranking system updated every week, either it's right or it's not. You either have a ranking system or you have an NFL type system with no rankings. In the case of the later you would need conference championships. As far as 16 teams goes there really is not time for it, the schools already protest 8.

I disagree. A loss, or 5 doesnt exclude you from the playoffs, so they mean much less.
A few losses in college at the FBS level and you are reduced to the GMAC Bowl.

Also its really not an apples to apples comparison as FBS has what, 128 teams playing anywhere from 12-14 games and the NFL has 32 playing more in the regular season than that.
A comparison with college basketball is not valid either IMO.
Your right, you really can't compare the College and the Pros as far as teams like that, in the Pros, each division plays the same teams, in College it's no where near the same ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)