Need advice cutting the cord.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

getstuff4less

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
CA
I'm considering cutting the court to save on TV costs. The main problem is that I cannot get locals due to bad TV antenna reception. Can I buy an HD FTA (which one do you recommend) to get my locals?

Ideally, I would like to use discount satellite versus installing or having someone to install another. The main channel that we need to watch on TV is Univision/Univision sports. Right now I have to subscribe to dish network , since my mom's boyfriend likes to watch soccer games on their channels.

My mom really only watches Good Morning America/the morning news in the LA area. She really only watches TV before she goes to work. I know dish network has a locals packets, but once you add all the receiver fees. Can I legally receive these channels via an HD FTA receiver? I really would like to use the dish network antenna, but if I can’t work hard work you guys recommend? Also, is there a way to combine signals from the dish network antenna and he FTA satellite so I can get more channels at the same time?

getstuff4less said:
The main problem is that I cannot get locals due to bad TV antenna reception.
Have you tried the site, TVfool.com for advice on reception?
Where exactly are you located?
ZIP code, perhaps.
The main channel that we need to watch on TV is Univision/Univision sports.
Is that an OTA channel in Los Angeles?
We have about 100, here. :)
I see one or more Univision OTA channels, but I don't know about a sports channel.
Can I legally receive these channels via an HD FTA receiver?
I really would like to use the dish network antenna, ...
No.
No.

Last edited:
univison does show up on a couple of c-band birds FTA (sports unknown). The dishnet equipment u have wont get them in. but u can make changes- install a bud and buy another receiver that can get c-band.
then u can watch some univision.
it wont be simple.

My mom really only watches Good Morning America/the morning news in the LA area. She really only watches TV before she goes to work. I know dish network has a locals packets, but once you add all the receiver fees. Can I legally receive these channels via an HD FTA receiver? I really would like to use the dish network antenna, but if I can’t work hard work you guys recommend? Also, is there a way to combine signals from the dish network antenna and he FTA satellite so I can get more channels at the same time?

Regarding the Local News here in the LA area, you're not gonna find that on FTA. As suggested, it's worth the trouble to try and figure out why you can't get OTA HDTV at your location. Going C-Band for Spanish Language Channels is a GOLD MINE. I get over 100 channels in Spanish (most SD, but there are a few in HD). There are Sports Channels, Movie Channels, Music Channels, News Channels and so on. Vist http://www.lyngsat.com and click on the Satellite's link (61w - 160W)(America). Scroll down and choose 116.8W SATMEX 8. The channels listed in YELLOW are SD Clear. Light GREEN is HD Clear. There are a number of C Band Sats that carry Univision Affiliates. Good Luck!

In Los Angeles, you can combine OTA and FTA and probably never miss cable.

I remember the days back in 1977 when I was sitting in my car at night listening to 870 WWL (here in Los Angeles). Great Classic Country with Charley Douglas, Dave Nemo and the Road Gang. Ah ... those were the days!

Rock & a hard spot

You could look for and make friends with a neighbor who has a big outdoor antenna.
See what results he is getting.
As for antenna and 20 feet or so of pole , that's something you could probably get at some place like Radio Shack, and install yourself.
Anyboby in your immediate area (Lowes, Best Buy, Fry's!) should have advice on what works.
There are a number of on-line suppliers where you could go for bargains or advice on recommended hardware.
Monoprice is closer to you than to me, but I've been there.
Not sure they have OTA antennas, but I strongly recommend them for other items! :up

What about Netflix, Hulu, etc.?
I understand there is some network programming available.
Do you have high speed Internet?
?.
Of course, cable would deliver local LA stations, but not cheaply. :down

I remember the days back in 1977 when I was sitting in my car at night listening to 870 WWL (here in Los Angeles). Great Classic Country with Charley Douglas, Dave Nemo and the Road Gang. Ah ... those were the days!

WWL doesn't seem to be making it as far as they used to. They're still a powerhouse, but not what they used to be.

What about Netflix, Hulu, etc.?
I understand there is some network programming available.
Do you have high speed Internet?
?.
Of course, cable would deliver local LA stations, but not cheaply. :down

I have all of those (Subscribe to) on Roku. Is there an FTA available that will record one show while watching another, record two shows at the same time, etc. Basically, I would like an FTA that is similar to the 722 K. The jynxbox ultra hd has dual tuners, but apparently cannot do the same as the 722. If you're wondering why I want an FTA, it's to have random content.

Some of the dual tuner boxes cost nearly as much as two regular receivers.
Many have modest to marginal support.
Jynxbox is targeted at the theft-of-service community, so good luck with actual fta support. ;)
I think there is a model in the "Alien" line with dual tuners.
Info on SatGuys May not be comprehensive, so search the net.
I'm sure you'll find its home site where they give it a glowing review. :)
?

I will check out alien receiver. In the meantime, if anyone knows of a receiver, where you can record a show while watching another please let me know.

I will check out alien receiver. In the meantime, if anyone knows of a receiver, where you can record a show while watching another please let me know.

If on the same transponder, the microHD allows the recording of up to two channels and watching a third channel or a DVR recording or video.

I'm considering cutting the court to save on TV costs. The main problem is that I cannot get locals due to bad TV antenna reception. Can I buy an HD FTA (which one do you recommend) to get my locals?

Ideally, I would like to use discount satellite versus installing or having someone to install another. The main channel that we need to watch on TV is Univision/Univision sports. Right now I have to subscribe to dish network , since my mom's boyfriend likes to watch soccer games on their channels.

1.)You can't reuse old Dish Network and DirecTV dishes...

You will need either a Ku Band FTA dish ... in a fixed position, which has very limited capability. A motorized dish is much more useful.

or a motorized Big Ugly Dish with a motor control box.

2.) FTA does not replace Over The Air service. If Good Morning "America" is important.... You might be able to pick it up online at
http://watchabc.go.com/live

or one of the

ABC Network Feeds on C-Band (Big Ugly Dish...motorized):
On Galaxy 16 99.0W 4119 H 29999 8PSK

ABC HD NET -1 EAST
ABC HD NET -11 WEST
ABC HD NET -7 MTN

GALAXY 3C 95.0W 3999 H 29999 8PSK

ABC HD NET -14 EAST
ABC HD NET -10 WEST
ABC HD NET -8 MTN

on Ku Band (much smaller dish...motorized)is just the ABC News Now Feeds

3.) Is English language important? Check out this list of Ku Band channels that are Free To Air (FTA) they are English.

http://www.ftalist.com/english.php

4.)Do you live with your Mom? If she only needs 1 channel a FTA setup would be pretty easy to run.....but beyond that.... this tinkerers TV hobby scares the beejeezus out of Technophobes. This isn't a one remote control kinda hobby.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts