need antenna for 30157.help pls

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

iamsimona

Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
I read a lot about antennas and converter boxes...I live in 30157, 39 miles away from towers... i would prefer the antenna to be an outdoor one but if I could install it in the attick would be better...also on the cheaper side. Will need to have an amplifier too...But I'm just a girl, what do I know about devices......Please, if somebody has an answer to my question...Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Well, the setup you choose may be determined by what all you want to try to get vs what you must get. Take a look at your post-transition chart. At least 2 area channels are at a heading at a very "differing direction" than most of the others and 1 of your area PBS channels will be VHF-Hi. I would concentrate of those channels at 50 miles or less.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 198
still a blur :(

Thank you, but i don't quite understand what you mean...I don't have technical knowledge at all and I would really apreciate it if you tell me the exact antenna types that may work..We have 1 digital toshiba big screen TV and 1 Sanyo analog small TV if this might help. I read about the converter boxes and I think the CM 7000 is the best choice...but the antenna choice is my problem...Thanks again

You need a VHF/UHF antenna to receive all the Atlanta stations after 2/17/09. You will need a compass heading around 100 degrees and about 30 miles from the broadcast towers. A Winegard GS2200 or a Winegard HD1080 should work but you need to make the choice for your own satisfaction and circumstances.

The Winegard HD1080 is a horrible excuse for an antenna - zero gain on VHF.

I'd go with the Winegard HD7694P or one of it's larger siblings.

If you want the very best performance an Antennas Direct 91-XG coupled with a Winegard YA-1713 via a Channel master 7777 pre-amp.

I have a Clearstream C4 and would highly recommend it. It is much smaller than the Winegard or Channel Master antennas plus it covers channels 7 thru 69 so it will pick up everything after the February cut off. It is designed to pick up channels up to 65 miles and yours seem to be in the 30 mile range so it should do just fine in your attic. In fact the C2 would probably work - check them out at Amazon and look at the customer reviews.

I'd go with either of Jim's recommendations. I wouldn't count on the C4 for VHF-Hi unless the stations were much closer. You need a larger antenna for reliable VHF at 30 or more miles.

I'd go with either of Jim's recommendations. I wouldn't count on the C4 for VHF-Hi unless the stations were much closer. You need a larger antenna for reliable VHF at 30 or more miles.

Interesting statement since we don't have any upper VHF digital channels to actually look at and report on. What I can say is that the C4 does get KABC-7 analog although it does not get it as well as my old CM did. But on the otherhand the analog channel for KOCE-50 is hardly watchable with the C4 but the digital signals - all 4 of them - come in just fine. I'm really not up on the difference between an analog and digital signal and the antenna needed to receive them, but I think I would accept the designers of the Clearstream series statement that their antennas work consistantly for all the surviving DTV channels 7 thru 69.

Hey Ken,

You may be lucky enough to receive the LA VHF channels due to the LOS advantage of your location. I doubt iamsimona will get reliable reception on channels 7 & 8 with 1 edge diffraction and signal strengths around -70 dbm. He'll probably need a yagi antenna with higher VHF gain for those channels.

Extra gain is needed with digital signals to help avoid signal interruptions caused by adverse weather, and the always changing atmospheric conditions.

Let us know how you do with the '09 transition.

Glen:)

Hey Ken,

You may be lucky enough to receive the LA VHF channels due to the LOS advantage of your location. I doubt iamsimona will get reliable reception on channels 7 & 8 with 1 edge diffraction and signal strengths around -70 dbm. He'll probably need a yagi antenna with higher VHF gain for those channels.

Extra gain is needed with digital signals to help avoid signal interruptions caused by adverse weather, and the always changing atmospheric conditions.

Let us know how you do with the '09 transition.

Glen:)

Line of sight we do not have and I'm not quite sure what edge diffraction means but TVFool says I have 2 edge plus they say post transition I really need a 300 foot antenna mast. But somehow I get what I consider really good results with my C4 25 feet from ground level.

Agreed - February of next year will be interesting!

Line of sight we do not have and I'm not quite sure what edge diffraction means but TVFool says I have 2 edge plus they say post transition I really need a 300 foot antenna mast. But somehow I get what I consider really good results with my C4 25 feet from ground level.

Agreed - February of next year will be interesting!
Wow,

You must have some huge terrain variations in your area. Just plugging your city name into TV FOOL shows 26 LOS stations; even at ground level. If your signal levels are -40 or so; you may still be in luck.

I wish all the stations would stay on UHF that are already there. It sure would make things easier for many of us come February.

Glen

Wow,

You must have some huge terrain variations in your area. Just plugging your city name into TV FOOL shows 26 LOS stations; even at ground level. If your signal levels are -40 or so; you may still be in luck.

I wish all the stations would stay on UHF that are already there. It sure would make things easier for many of us come February.

Glen

I didn't realize that we were that close to having line of sight. If you plug in the following address into TVfool and you will see what we have to deal with

10900 Applewood ln, Yucaipa, CA 92399 zip

But if I go a couple of blocks to the east it gets better real fast. Our major LA stations are at 281 degrees so that is what we want to pull in.

I know we have reception problems because our house is at 2,800 feet elevation and the LA transmitters are 60 miles away at like 6,500 feet but we have a set 3,500 foot hills between us about half a mile east of our house that cause all the problems. If you are interested pull it up on Google Earth and see what I'm talking about.

I guess we are lucky to have much of any signal reaching us. Everything considered, the C4 was a really good move from the huge Channel master 3671 monster we had before. I don't know how or why it works, but it does and I couldn't be happier.

Ken

I guess it is because the C4 was designed foremost as a UHF antenna; but with some VHF abilities. I have always gotten much better UHF with separates than with combo antennas. I'm curious to see how well it works for you after the transition.;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)