Status
Please reply by conversation.

madgoan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
In the RV
Hi folks,
I have a 36" dish with a Invacom Quad Polar Legacy 4 O/P LNB (QPH-031). My receiver is a sonicview 4000.
I believe I am pointed at Galaxy 10R (123w). I have use geosatfinder to position the dish. I have a 65 Signal strength. Here is where I am getting very confused. I get no quality signal unless I change the transponder. As I change the transponder, I see a box that indicates I get Anik 1, and Echostar 7. Signal strength goes to 99-100 on these. Out of frustration, I performed a blind scan while my signal meter was pegging with the Anik 1 box in the upper right hand corner. The blind scan results in a bunch of Echostar channels and of coarse I can not use these, nor do I want to.
I have done some research on Transponders to try and understand why I am getting these results. I am a bit dense I guess but if I understand, transponders are used on different Satellites to forward signals to locations on earth? So in this case I am receiving the signal for a transponder for Echostar?
Anyway, here are my questions:
1. Why do I see a box indicating Anik 1 or Echostar 7?
2. Any ideas on why I can't get signal for Galaxy 10R (I see in some discussions some folks are using similar size dishes)?

Really want to do some TFTA!

Thanks,
madgoan

1. Why do I see a box indicating Anik 1 or Echostar 7?
You are probably hiting Echostar 7 @ 119 west.
2. Any ideas on why I can't get signal for Galaxy 10R (I see in some discussions some folks are using similar size dishes)?
List all the setting from the Receiver's Sat Setup Menu.

Are you using a Motor, or is this a fixed dish?

When you say probably pointing to 119, you mean I do not have the dish pointed to where I think its pointed (i.e. 123 w)?

Here are my dish settings:
Sat Galaxy 10R
LNB Freq: On
LNB Type: Universal
LNB Freq: 9750/10600
Transponder: 11805 (from the List)
22khz: Auto
Search option: All
Network Search: On
DisEqc: Port 1 (linear)
motor: disable

I have the dish mounted on a post...fairly stable. No motor as i want to see if I can get this going before I invest a bunch of money for the wrong stuff ( I know not much).

Thanks for the quick response!

When you say probably pointing to 119, you mean I do not have the dish pointed to where I think its pointed (i.e. 123 w)?
"Possible" Change your settings first.
Your settings should be:
Sat Galaxy 10R (now known as Galaxy 18)
LNB Freq: On
LNB Type: Standard or Single
LNB Freq: 10750
Transponder: 11805 (from the List)
22khz: off
Search option: All
Network Search: On
DisEqc: Port 1 (linear)
motor: disable

I would remove any switches and connect directly to the "L" port on the LNB, it just keeps things simple.

Made the changes as you suggest and removed the DisEqc switch and routed to L directly. Tried setting DisEqc to 'Off'. No change.

Skew is +.06. Good point. I dont have a good way of setting skew. Tried ajusting with sat finder meter (cheapy) but did not see difference.

Skew is +.06. Good point. I dont have a good way of setting skew. Tried ajusting with sat finder meter (cheapy) but did not see difference.
".zero 6" is not enough to worry about.

Where are you located?

Wow...a genius? I moved the dish 'Sloooowwwwwlleeee' to the west (figuring must be in 119). Got a quality beep. Is only 47-48. I do not see any indication of a satellite in the upper right corner. Is that normal?

I am in Washington state at the moment (full time RV'r). City of Warm beach or Stanwwod is closest to me.

I do not see any indication of a satellite in the upper right corner. Is that normal?
Yes, only a few Sats show their name on the Receiver.

Snug up the bolts, then put pressure on the Rim of the Dish, Up, Down East, West.
Watch for any improvement.
Also tweak the LNB in the Holder, watching for improvement.

Blind scan and compare to:
http://www.lyngsat.com/galaxy18.html

Well that figures! Been contimplating to long!!! Just want to watch some TV once in a while. Maybe movies, serial shows, educational stuff.
Any suggestions?
Can you suggest a motor? I looked at the Sg21(don't have my notes..probably wrong)? Looks like that might be handy.
I move around often I am in hopes I can get a little better setup to do the setup.

Thanks again... I am just happy as can be.....blind scan is done

GOT CHANNELS!!!!! woweeee....feels good! It will work!!!!!

My wife has been giving me the evil eye as I purchased this stuff.......thats another relief (she really is an awsum lady).

Thanks again!

SG2100 is a popular, but no longer very well made.
Sadoun has nice Motors:
sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Motors/HH-Motors.htm

I can't recommend too much, I mostly watch sports feeds.
There are many PBS channels on 125 west. But you need a Dolby Receiver for sound.
Or a High Def Sat Receiver.

Glad to have helped.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts