Need help pointing to G10

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You lost me here. Where do you get the offset degrees of the dish? Where do you put the angle finder? Can you post pictures of how this works? Thanks
I got the 24.6° number from the spec sheet - see this example:
GEOSATPRO 90CM SATELLITE DISH ANTENNA - SatelliteAV, LLC.
and note the offset angle.

I have attached some pictures I took this morning. Note I did not reset the red marker for the picture - but I think you will get the idea.
Bob

Attachments

• inclinometer1.JPG
    inclinometer1.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 100
  • inclinometer.JPG
    inclinometer.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 107
OK now I get it. Thanks for taking the time to post those pictures!

My guess is that the angle you get that way is the same as the angle you get if you run a straight edge from top rim to bottom rim of the dish and put the angle finder on the straight edge. And the reason it didn't work when I tried that was that I didn't adjust for the offset angle of the dish.

Now, comparing this method (Method A) to the yardstick from LNB to the bottom of the dish method (Method B), I'm thinking that Method A gives the exact right answer for maximizing signal the dish produces at the focal point of the dish for a given elevation. But on the other hand if the LNB is not at the exact focal point of the dish (and some dish designs without support struts for the LNB arm allow an inch or two of play as to where the LNB ends up), I'm wondering whether Method B adjusts for that and optimizes signal for the case where the LNB is not at the exact focal point of the dish.

You will always need to peak the dish using the signal quality (SQ) regardless of the initial setup method. I believe there are less variables using the formula and the front face of the dish. I have, on several occasions, set up a dish using the inclinometer and a good compass where I had reception as soon as I turned the receiver on. You can call it luck, and there is some of that without a doubt, but you will always be close to the right elevation this way.
Bob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)