Need help understanding mandatory upgrade..

brcidd

Original poster
Aug 10, 2020
Troy, Oh
Here's the story- I installed 4 satellite systems in/around 1995 around my complex- All have their own dishes and receivers etc- and all are on my same account. I started getting e-mails awhile back, that I would have to upgrade my systems to HD or lose my local channels. I figured- so what? I get my local channels for free over the air waves like it should be- so I ignored all continuing e-mails. Now I get one that says I will lose all service Aug 25th, 2020 unless I upgrade immediately. I called Directv and spent an hour with sales lady who seemed clueless about answering my question- will I lose service? All my receivers are NOT HD and are around 2005 vintage or older. All my dishes are round, not oval. I have single LNBs. I installed them all with my little meter to detect best satellite signal. One is in my camper. The sales lady put me on hold 5 times to confer with "back office" to see if I'd truly lose signals. At exactly one hour of talk time- most of it on hold- my connection went dead- I assume DTV sales assist "times out" after an hour. She also mentioned- my upgrade would be free- which I find it hard to believe- and that I could not install the systems- that a "professional" has to do it- which I frown upon in this Covid world. I am an engineer- I do everything around my home- I understand most things- what I don't, I research and figure it out. I am currently drilling my own new well BTW.

So my question is what do I have to do? Can't they just send me the new receivers and oval dishes and I can install myself? Does current RG-6 satellite cable suffice with upgrade to HD? Is it truly free? My 92 year old MIL will crap trying to figure out a new system with a new remote...

Thanks- Brian

Directv is discontinuing the technology that the old SD receivers use, meaning you will need a new dish, new LNB, and new receivers.

They don't support "DIY" installations like they did when you set this all up in 1995, but the upgrades are free - since Directv is making changes that would cause someone's working setup to no longer work they are replacing the equipment. It is also supposed to be without creating any commitment (though it may depend on exactly what you get, so confirm that with them)

The RG6 cable will be fine, they may want to clip off the connectors and replace them especially if they are not compression connectors. If you are able to get H2x or HR2x receivers/DVRs for your aunt instead of a Genie it will have the same remote and the interface will not be that different from what she's used to.

As far as Covid, you could probably convince the installer do his work outside and give the receiver to you to plug in inside so he doesn't need to enter the house.

Reactions: Jimbo
Also, if you wouldn't mind, could you paste in the letter you received. Some of us have been curious for a while about Directv's progress in shutting down their legacy SD stuff. Yours is the first report we've had of someone saying they've received an email giving a date when ALL service will be discontinued. We've seen a couple reports of people with Spanish programming saying that will go away on 8/25...so I wonder if you really will lose everything on that date but regardless you should take them up on their offer to upgrade. There's really nothing to lose, and then you won't have them bugging you anymore :)

Take them up on thier free swap out, your older recvrs all get upgraded for free, new dish and LNB ...
Let them do it ...

Technically if you wanted, you could do the work yourself, but the cost would be on you, but you could Buy all the stuff at online retailers ...
I would stay away from places like ebay ...
You'll want to contact D* before hand and confirm the recvr ID's with them to confirm that they are ones that they can activate still.
You can go thru the hassle of setting everything up and figuring out how the newer system works with the Much newer SWM system .... Or .... you could just sit back and let them do it ... you can watch ....

They will wear masks and potentially gloves (some do the gloves, others not) ...
Basically they will set up an entirely new set up for you (sounds like your RG-6 is ok to keep them using) .... for FREE and it will potentially move you into the 21st century.

Here's the story- I installed 4 satellite systems in/around 1995 around my complex- All have their own dishes and receivers etc- and all are on my same account. I started getting e-mails awhile back, that I would have to upgrade my systems to HD or lose my local channels. I figured- so what? I get my local channels for free over the air waves like it should be- so I ignored all continuing e-mails. Now I get one that says I will lose all service Aug 25th, 2020 unless I upgrade immediately. I called Directv and spent an hour with sales lady who seemed clueless about answering my question- will I lose service? All my receivers are NOT HD and are around 2005 vintage or older. All my dishes are round, not oval. I have single LNBs. I installed them all with my little meter to detect best satellite signal. One is in my camper. The sales lady put me on hold 5 times to confer with "back office" to see if I'd truly lose signals. At exactly one hour of talk time- most of it on hold- my connection went dead- I assume DTV sales assist "times out" after an hour. She also mentioned- my upgrade would be free- which I find it hard to believe- and that I could not install the systems- that a "professional" has to do it- which I frown upon in this Covid world. I am an engineer- I do everything around my home- I understand most things- what I don't, I research and figure it out. I am currently drilling my own new well BTW.

So my question is what do I have to do? Can't they just send me the new receivers and oval dishes and I can install myself? Does current RG-6 satellite cable suffice with upgrade to HD? Is it truly free? My 92 year old MIL will crap trying to figure out a new system with a new remote...

Thanks- Brian
:welcome to Satelliteguys Brian!
What do you mean by there are four systems on your account?

Technically if you wanted, you could do the work yourself, but the cost would be on you,
as well as the liability. You don't want to drop a dish on the hood of somebody's car** or on their head (you get the idea) not to mention that if you install and it doesn't work you're the guy that's likely hung out to dry. Best bet, let them do it.

** I mention this because I knew a guy who was installing his own AC and managed to drop a window unit out a 2nd floor window onto the hood of his wife's car. She was not a happy lady.

Reactions: navychop and Jimbo
:welcome to Satelliteguys Brian!
What do you mean by there are four systems on your account?
Also, if you wouldn't mind, could you paste in the letter you received. Some of us have been curious for a while about Directv's progress in shutting down their legacy SD stuff. Yours is the first report we've had of someone saying they've received an email giving a date when ALL service will be discontinued. We've seen a couple reports of people with Spanish programming saying that will go away on 8/25...so I wonder if you really will lose everything on that date but regardless you should take them up on their offer to upgrade. There's really nothing to lose, and then you won't have them bugging you anymore :)
FINAL NOTICE
Account Number Ending: 6095

You will lose your DIRECTV® service in 17 days.
Call 877.376.8186 now.
mail
The deadline is almost here. Our records show that you still have DIRECTV® equipment that needs to be replaced. Please schedule your replacement high definition-capable equipment to occur before 8/25/2020. There’s no cost to you.*

If you do not replace this equipment by 8/25/2020, you will be unable to view any of your DIRECTV service.
mail

Just call 877.376.8186 and
ask to replace your equipment.
*Equipment non-return & add’l fees, conditions & restrictions apply.
For eligible customers only. See details below.

AT&T, 2260 E. Imperial Highway, El Segundo, CA 90245
A1433714

While what exactly is going to happen on 8/25 will certainly be interesting to see. ...

I have to believe this particular email is incorrect and confused with the scheduled national turn-off of Spanish and Chinese Direct (Mandarin) channels from 119W on 8/25.

As there's no way I can see DIRECTV shutting down "ALL" MPEG-2 based SD, which would include the core of it at 101W in only two weeks from now. ...

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

So you have four setups that you use for yourself? That's unusual.
I have a family with several needs, more like wants- including a 91 yr old M-I-L in remote living quarters (mobile home/house trailer to me). One receiver is in camper, another in remote barn. The units are not close enough to use dual LNBs on the same dish. Plus, I rarely have time to watch any TV- but my family (M-I-L) would go nuts without satellite TV (no cable in boon docks). You think TV signals are hard to obtain- try getting internet when you are miles from town...I had satellite internet for 5 yrs- what a joke! It was slower than dial-up....could never even ever watch a video....Until someone comes up with high speed streaming capability accessible in boon docks, I'm stuck with satellite TV access.

Update: Just got off phone with Tech Assist at DTV- only my RCA unit will lose entire service on 8/25. The loss of service is receiver model dependent. But most all other old receivers will lose ONLY LOCAL CHANNELS by end of year 2020. So an entire upgrade is NOT needed since I don't want/need local channels on any of my receivers. They said never go through sales for this upgrade- use Tech Assist. Three of my four receivers are fine to use as long as I don't need local channels. She said the Genie will need a professional to install because of the SWiM (sp). I ordered the Genie- she said installer could be here next Monday 17th- She also said to get it done while equipment is readily available- coming from overseas may be a delay if I wait and there's a rush on equipment. Wow- such relief.

Update: Just got off phone with Tech Assist at DTV- only my RCA unit will lose entire service on 8/25. The loss of service is receiver model dependent. But most all other old receivers will lose ONLY LOCAL CHANNELS by end of year 2020. So an entire upgrade is NOT needed since I don't want/need local channels on any of my receivers. They said never go through sales for this upgrade- use Tech Assist. Three of my four receivers are fine to use as long as I don't need local channels. She said the Genie will need a professional to install because of the SWiM (sp). I ordered the Genie- she said installer could be here next Monday 17th- She also said to get it done while equipment is readily available- coming from overseas may be a delay if I wait and there's a rush on equipment. Wow- such relief.
Well I'm glad your mind was put at ease ....

But I must say that what the tech said still doesn't really make any sense....

For how can only one model SD receiver lose all channels from 101W by 8/25 while all your others only lose locals?

While what exactly is going to happen on 8/25 will certainly be interesting to see. ...

I have to believe this particular email is incorrect and confused with the scheduled national turn-off of Spanish and Chinese Direct (Mandarin) channels from 119W on 8/25.

As there's no way I can see DIRECTV shutting down "ALL" MPEG-2 based SD, which would include the core of it at 101W in only two weeks from now. ...

It has to happen Some time, we've been waiting long enough.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Well I'm glad your mind was put at ease ....

But I must say that what the tech said still doesn't really make any sense....

For how can only one model SD receiver lose all channels from 101W by 8/25 while all your others only lose locals?

Well, we don't know the models of the 4 recvrs ...
1 is an RCA 222 probably (can't remember the other RCS model number)

It has to happen Some time, we've been waiting long enough.
Oh I agree, and would definitely welcome it if true. ...

But to say it's "highly unlikely" that DIRECTV is pulling the plug on all DSS SD channels from Ku 101 and 119W by 8/25, would be a gross understatement. ....

Well, we don't know the models of the 4 recvrs ...
1 is an RCA 222 probably (can't remember the other RCS model number)
But what would cause 1 model SD receiver to lose service on all channels from 101W by 8/25 when all the others only lose the locals from the same 101W?

As they should all be capable of receiving the MPEG-2 based DSS format and APG on any of the 32 DBS tps. there.

But what would cause 1 model SD receiver to lose service on all channels from 101W by 8/25 when all the others only lose the locals from the same 101W?

As they should all be capable of receiving the MPEG-2 based DSS format and APG on any of the 32 DBS tps. there.

Don't know ...
There was talk about CPU issues with the older units as they lost info back in the day ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts