Need help with 97 (Intelsat AM5)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

flee1049

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
Cali
Hi, I have been trying to get this satellite for couple of channels that I watch and I am unable to do so.

Here is my setup

Samsonic AC1075 Linear LNB
Fortec 31"
Sonicview 360 Elite

My Zip Code: 91030

Elevation: 44.3
Skew: -28.1
Azimuth: 132.5 (mag)

I am using a Acutrac 22 Pro Meter.

Here are the settings I am using with my Sonicview to check the signal:
LNB Type: Universal
LNB Frequency: 10750
Transponder: 12177 V SR23000

When I aimed the dish, I did get a very high signal from the meter but when I checked the TV inside, I had 0 Quality.

I did however find (AMC 103 W) on transponder 11966 which is a IA5 Transponder, but it showed AMC 103 instead. This was the only transponder that had quality of 50. I scanned the following channels:

BVN
CGN TV

and a lot of other Korean channels.

The thing I don't understand is that in lyngsat.com, it doesn't show that transponder under satellite AMC 103W.

My mast is perfectly plumb (used a leveler), and there is nothing blocking the site of the dish. Maybe my Dish is too small? My friend has gotten 97 with this same dish (weak signal).

Please help

Thanks for taking the time in reading this.

you are on 101W which is very close

best thing to do is make a mark on the mast so you know where you are and move the dish 4 degrees east which from that mark is maybe 1/32" to 1/16" max

you're very close :)

I tried moving it to the East a little bit, but the signal on the meter will just start going down....maybe the signal overlaps?

If its Satellite 101, then how come it says on the box that its on AMC 103W?

Is 101 the same elevation as 97?

Thanks for your help.

I tried moving it to the East a little bit, but the signal on the meter will just start going down....maybe the signal overlaps?
signal strength means NOTHING...look for signal quality

If its Satellite 101, then how come it says on the box that its on AMC 103W?
disregard what it claims...the channels you posted are on 101
SatelliteGuys.US - 101.0°W AMC 4 Ku

Is 101 the same elevation as 97?

depends on location. Form your loc you say California so probably not. Where I am in Minnesota its real close as my true south (highest sat inn the sky) is 93W

You may need to lower the elevation a little bit (a degree so so)

I assume you skewed the LNB?

The Fortec dishes have been known not to be true on the elevation meter. Up to 5 degrees off. I would move the dish from the mark you made on the mast 1/16" east and see what you pick up. On the receiver if you can do a blind scan by all means do that. It should log some chanenls

I assume you skewed the LNB?

The Fortec dishes have been known not to be true on the elevation meter. Up to 5 degrees off. I would move the dish from the mark you made on the mast 1/16" east and see what you pick up. On the receiver if you can do a blind scan by all means do that. It should log some chanenls

Yes, I skewed the LNB. My elevation when I picked up the 101 was actually 53.......So I guess I will try to lower it to like 50 and move it 1/16" East....

Also, it says a Skew of -28....How do I know which way I skew it?

Standing in front of the dish...which way do I turn the LNB? Right now its Counter clockwise

Hmmmm....that might just be the culprit.......Make sense too...since I was only able to get 1 transponder from satellite 101.....I'll try changing the skew the other direction tomorrow.....and let you know if I have success...

Thanks for your help Iceberg!!

In your first post you list your LNB Type as a Universal
but, you have the LNB Frequency listed as being set to 10750
a Universal LNBF should be set to 9750/10600 on the frequency
but, in most recievers (I know nothing about a 360 Elite?) if the LNB Type is set to Universal, it should automatically set the frequency to 9750/10600

if it is indeed a Universal lnbf, try setting the frequency on 9750/10600
I think in some receivers you can just set it on 10600...???

hope this helps you
Good Luck!

In your first post you list your LNB Type as a Universal
but, you have the LNB Frequency listed as being set to 10750
a Universal LNBF should be set to 9750/10600 on the frequency
but, in most recievers (I know nothing about a 360 Elite?) if the LNB Type is set to Universal, it should automatically set the frequency to 9750/10600

if it is indeed a Universal lnbf, try setting the frequency on 9750/10600
I think in some receivers you can just set it on 10600...???

hope this helps you
Good Luck!

Yes you are right....that was a typo...

Sonicview 360 Elite

LNB Type: Universal
LNB Frequency: 10750
Transponder: 12177 V SR23000

Flee1049,

First of all, Voom asked you about the L.O. frequency setting once already, but I don't think you understood or have it right.

If you have a UNIVERSAL LNBF then you should have the LNB TYPE set to UNIVERSAL and the L.O. frequency should be displaying 9.750/10.600 and not 10.750 (or 10.600) alone. On some receivers you might be able to set the LNBF type to SINGLE or STANDARD and then you may be able to change the L.O frequency to 10.600, but I don't recommend this.

That is the first problem that you need to be sure to clear up before you proceed.

The next problem is that the Sonic View receiver (the 360 Premier or the 360 Elite) are garbage receivers and I am not making that statement just because I didn't like them or because I had a hard time setting one up. I say so because it is correct and you have already discovered this for yourself.

These receivers incorrectly identify the satellite that you are aimed at, they drive the motor to another satellite than the one you requested, they don't have true USALS function and when you command them to drive the motor to the reference position, it drives to some satellite position and when you command them to drive to the satellite position, they drive the motor to the reference position. If you try to step the motor east, it goes west, and vice versa!

These receivers are a mess! I selected 123W and it went to 91W!

I was given a Sonic View 360 Premier to test and evaluate. Damn good thing I didn't pay for it or I would have been extremely angry!

It is a POS and you do not have to do anything wrong, it is wrong for you. I do not know if you can load some software to correct this problem or not, but straight from the factory it is a POS.

I hope none of the sponsors offer these particular receivers. I will be very turned off if they do. I sent this reciever home with my brother to test and he had the same results.

I will not recommend any Sonic Views to anyone because of what you are experiencing and what I and my brother have experienced.

They do not sport the official USALS logo as well, I don't think they ever even attempted to pass the test.

Anyway, judging from your results, I surmise that your greatest problem is the SonicView 360 POS!

I should add that even when I was dialed in to 123W with my dish, and knew I was getting excellent signals, the Sonic View picked up on "0" channels!

RADAR

Flee1049,

The next problem is that the Sonic View receiver (the 360 Premier or the 360 Elite) are garbage receivers and I am not making that statement just because I didn't like them or because I had a hard time setting one up. I say so because it is correct and you have already discovered this for yourself.

These receivers incorrectly identify the satellite that you are aimed at...

These receivers are a mess! I selected 123W and it went to 91W!

I was given a Sonic View 360 Premier to test and evaluate. Damn good thing I didn't pay for it or I would have been extremely angry!

It is a POS and you do not have to do anything wrong, it is wrong for you. I do not know if you can load some software to correct this problem or not, but straight from the factory it is a POS.

I should add that even when I was dialed in to 123W with my dish, and knew I was getting excellent signals, the Sonic View picked up on "0" channels!

RADAR
Sounds like I know what this thing was designed for... I'll almost bet it would work fine on 110/119! :eek:

Eurosport,

I think you are right with that assumption.

Radar

Right on :).....anyways....I did have it on Universal, and it was 9750/10600.........you're right...this thing is a POS....I do have a SV8000 as well.....and the thing works a lot better.

Right on :).....anyways....I did have it on Universal, and it was 9750/10600.........you're right...this thing is a POS....I do have a SV8000 as well.....and the thing works a lot better.

Flee,

I can be fairly certain that I am right in this case since I have had direct and first hand experience with the SV 360 Premier. You have the Elite, which is supposed to be better, but maybe not better enough.

I have not heard much about your new 8000 Sonic View, you will have to inform me on that one.

My favorite satellites to pull channels from are 43, 63, 72, 74, 83, 85, 91, 97, 99, 101, 103, 105, 123, 125 and 129 (all linear). And I have to have NASA from 119W ES 7! I am a NASA freak! You should type APOD in on GOOGLE and look at what that offers for you if you are interested in astronomy.

I know which channels I should be receiveing from these satellites with my Coolsat 5000. Any new receiver I try, if it won't pull the same channels in, I mothball the unit and consider it junk. I am hoping for something new and improved, but I haven't found anything yet that can compare to the Coolsat 5000 (or 6000) models.

I think that a lot of us, the end users, realize what many of these receivers were destined for. We are not dumb and neither are the folks who work for DN and DirecTV and um... oh crap what is the Canadian sat? I know it is on 82/91W and Nimiq is the sat.... Oh yea! Bell Express Vue!

Anyway, they know all about the hack receivers. They probably buy them to test them themselves. Just about any receiver available can be used for hack purposes, but only a few are legitimate for FTA, so be very careful what you purchase.

Stick to this site and take the advice of the qualified members here and you will know the proper receiver brands to rely upon. You won't find yourself in a bad situation with a poor quality receiver if you follow the advice of the senior members here.

These guys will not steer you wrong. I am really just a newbie, but I have been around for a few years and I read a good deal and I won't steer you wrong either. I have no reason to, but I do have a reason to inform you to avoid what I believe is bad. I hope that others will read my words and understand so that they don't get "screwed" on any deal either.

If you have any doubts about a receiver, ask here on this site before you buy it. You may PM me as well if you want to discuss anything with me, I will try to answer to the best of my ability, but the guys on this site are probably more knowlegable than I.

Good Luck for now!

Gordy (AcWxRadar)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)