Need help with motor HH90

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kambbado

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
Last week I decided to get a motor. I wanted to get other FTA channels without getting other dishes.

I spent this weekend setting up the motor. I followed the instructions that came with motor and instructions from Sadoun. I have the dish attached to a plumb steel post. I tried to point the dish to my True South, then having he motor search for IA5 with no luck.

Today I decided to bypass the motor (motor still attached to dish). Now I have the dish pointing to IA5. The signal qaulity is strong (50%). I'm getting over almost all the channels on IA5.

I have spent sometime reviewing some of the forums for hints, however I got confused.

How can I the motor and point to other satellites? How do I program the receiver to tell the motor to point to AMC4? I am at 01880. I have a Fortec Mecury II. Should I play with the longitude or latitude?

Thank you in advance

I would point the motor generally toward true south, then activate USALS on each satellite. Input your latitude and longitude, select a satellite so the motor moves to it, then tweak your motor/dish assembly azimuth until you get the signal.

I tried this weekend to activate my motor. I pointed to my True South then I had it point to IA5 and then do some tweaks. I was able to pick a few channels like "learn3", but not IA5 channels.

I have been wondering if my motor is up-side-down. According to instructions I have it installed correctly. I'm going to call Sadoun for verification.

and to point the dish to the true-south satellite with the motor in the zero (center) position.
Actually, the motor should be pointing to true south with it in the zero position. And then you would have your receiver send the dish to your true south satellite position. In his (kambbado) case, he is at 71.0w (according to his zip code) and his true south sat is at 72.0w, the motor should be pointing at 71.0w and then he would tell his receiver to go to AMC6 @ 72.0w. And that is where he should peak his dish. If he points the motor to 72.0w, where his true south satellite is at, when he goes to other satellites, the further away from the true south satellite he gets, the more off he will be, because the arc won't be right.

Al

I have looked at your thread and I tried to follow it, but I'm still off. I used it to verify my installation. Next weekend, if not too cold, I will try to play with it again. Thank you for the help.

Hi kambbado. If you look at this thread -> http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=82474 on Post # 6 on that thread I show a couple of pictures of my HH90 installed. It tracks the entire arc properly for me. The key part was to make darn sure that the pole was plumb, and to point the dish to the true-south satellite with the motor in the zero (center) position.

Thanks voomvoom, I believe you may have identified something.

For clarification, do I need to calculate my Azimuth ? My Azimuth is 180 + 16 for declination which make it 196. This is where I have been pointing my dish.

Or should I just point the dish to 72W?

kambbado -

where are you located?
zip, city/state, or any other identifying landmarks (5 miles north of meteor crater) :)

If you are at 71ºW, as suggested above, then yes, you should aim at about 196º magnetic.

I'm at 01880 (Wakefield, MA). I have to use other satellites besides AMC6. If I point to AMC6 it points pine trees I have. I can use IA5 and AMC4 (stationary).

I'm going to verify the pole again to see if it is plumb (it was), dish and motor elevation. Otherwise I'll take out the motor and go stationary until the summer.

Attachments

• HH90.h16.jpg
    HH90.h16.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 189
  • HH90-stab-motor.jpg
    HH90-stab-motor.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 180
  • HH90.h8.jpg
    HH90.h8.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 161
I have decided to go stationary for now. I spent about 4 hours on Tuesday playing with the motor.

Last night I was outside looking at the location, I have chosen for the dish, finally all of the reading and research helped. I cannot use that location with the motor. I'll need to move it to another location.

If I point the dish to my True South I'm facing the shed and the trees. I'm going to wait until the weather warms up to try again.

Currently I have the dish pointing to AMC4 to get RTPi which is the reason I wanted the dish.

I'm having fun learning all about FTA.

Thank you everyone for the help,

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)