NEED HELP with this Installation Setup!!!

belsokar

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
So I made a post a bit back about a new house I was moving into that had a "prewired" satellite setup. Pre-wired is in quotes because I finally know what my setup is.

First off, I have a dish 500 with quad lnb (not pro)(this is all I know about the dish itself), I currently have 3 cables hooked up, but want to use the 4th now as well . The satellite box on the exterior of the house has 2 RG6 cable preruns that run to a central box in one of my closets. From that closet, I have access to single RG6 cable runs all throughout the house.

The builder seems to think that all I need is to somehow run the 2 RG6's from my satellite to the closet, where I can install some switches (?) that input the 2 cables coming from the satellite dish, and output to cable runs that go to every room in the house (with a receiver in every room that I want satellite in of course). I am not familiar with this setup, as I am used to running direct runs from the dish straight to each receiver.

The builder didn't seem to confident in what he was saying, which is why I am coming here. Can anyone help me with what possible switches I would need if this is in fact a possibility for me? I also would need some advice on where to buy this stuff (preferably local dealers, but online works too).

Again, Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Should be pretty simple if I understand what you are asking.

Get a DP twin and a DP34 switch

Plug the two cables from the outside onto the new twin LNB.

Inside where the two cables enter the closet connect to the DP34 input side(dish 1&2).

Run the outputs(up to four) from the DP34 to the exsisting runs from the closet to your rooms.

watch TV.

Your builder is probably thinking mostly of DTV which the older systems used a switch inside like the DP34, unfortunately the DP34 can only be used with a Dish Pro LNB so you need to get one of those if you want to use the exsisting prewire setup.

Now, if you want to use the legacy quad you already own, you would need four runs from the outside(dish location) to the closet where you could just butt connect to what ever rooms you wanted dish on(four max). These are your only options to run more than two receivers with the prewire your builder left you with.

IF you can access this dish location, and the closet for running two more coax it would save you $$.

Hope this helps.
:shock:

thanks alot for the info! So where is the best place to buy such equipment? If I plan on upgrading in the next 3-6 months to a superdish, should I just hold off and run the 3-4 cable runs that I need?

also, is it true that if I buy a dish pro lnb, then my older receivers won't work? Not sure of all the models I have, but I have the 501, and two older ones that are about 4 years old (1 is nicer with UHF remote,4200 sound familiar???, dolby digital, the other is just a standard crappy receiver)

thanks again for the help!

belsokar said:
thanks alot for the info! So where is the best place to buy such equipment? If I plan on upgrading in the next 3-6 months to a superdish, should I just hold off and run the 3-4 cable runs that I need?

also, is it true that if I buy a dish pro lnb, then my older receivers won't work? Not sure of all the models I have, but I have the 501, and two older ones that are about 4 years old (1 is nicer with UHF remote,4200 sound familiar???, dolby digital, the other is just a standard crappy receiver)

thanks again for the help!

With the recent info you provided having older receivers and getting a superdish soon, I would definately make the extra two cable runs from the dish location to the closet and use your quad for now then you will be set up for the three required for the superdish plus you will get a DP34 with the new superdish.

True you would need DP adapters for your old equipment however you will need those with the superdish as well(unless you wait for the dp44). I would not wait for it though as the way dish is you may be waiting a while.

Go for the cable runs! :D

Glad to help

I agree with TheaterWizard and would only add that Dish will pay for the DP adapters you need when you get the superdish upgrade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts